U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 01:36 PM

6,040 posts, read 4,409,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
OP, what these people are doing has no negative effect on you.
Says who? This is not universally true when in reference to an event gathering.

Quote:
You are and others are looking for reasons and excuses to be annoyed.
Sometimes true, agreed.

Quote:
In my opinion it people who decide to be passively annoyed at others simply because they are being themselves seem to thing that everyone should be who they want them to be. Quite selfish really.
What I think is more selfish is thinking that "being oneself" trumps all in all settings. I agree it's not 100% clear in the case, say, when one person takes a quick pic at a game. But look at how it's become unacceptable to use your phone (or at least OK to condemn others who do) at a movie theater, is it such a stretch to think that at some point in time it's legitimate to talk about appropriate behavior at an event costing 10x as much as a movie?

Technology is evolving along with our ability and manner of using it. The rules of decorum may be lagging a bit but they're for sure an appropriate topic. that's not going away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 01:44 PM

8,018 posts, read 6,567,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Says who? This is not universally true when in reference to an event gathering.

What I think is more selfish is thinking that "being oneself" trumps all in all settings. I agree it's not 100% clear in the case, say, when one person takes a quick pic at a game. But look at how it's become unacceptable to use your phone (or at least OK to condemn others who do) at a movie theater, is it such a stretch to think that at some point in time it's legitimate to talk about appropriate behavior at an event costing 10x as much as a movie?

Technology is evolving along with our ability and manner of using it. The rules of decorum may be lagging a bit but they're for sure an appropriate topic. that's not going away.
I never said that there are not times where it is not appropriate to be on a smartphone. Let me clarify, if a person is doing something that has no negative effect on other people then leave them the hell alone I say and go about your business. Using a smartphone in a movie theater or some small intimate gathering is inappropriate. Using it in a massive venue like say a basketball game with 18,000 people as in the OP's example? Unless that person is obstructing your view of the game, if you're annoyed then you only have yourself to blame.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:48 PM

19,081 posts, read 21,837,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well, there goes my writing capabilities again....

1. It is distracting when you are at a game, that is where it is distracting....

2. and when people constantly change their FB pictures, it is to me, not distracting, but extremely vane, (should have made it clearer) but has become acceptable....for me, it is how I feel....how you feel is up to you, own it, that is fine...just discussing how we feel about things for goodness sakes, small stuff.
Well, I think it's kind of mean when you guys insult and put down others over this kind of thing. We can't know why these people do it and it's a negative assumption on your part.

With that said, again, I do understand how it would be distracting in an enclosed environment, but I've never seen it. I went looking for it on YouTube and was unable to find dozens of people doing it in a small area, so I'm not sure what you guys are experiencing.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I can't imagine how. With all the action and activity going on at a game. Between the actual game, the dancers, people around you cheering and dancing themselves, moving around to get concessions, talking loudly with those around them ... list list of stuff going on at any given time is long. Games are not occasions to sit quietly in one's own seat for 3 hours and focus entirely on the players. It's a fun, raucous atmosphere. How is someone taking a selfie distracting? It's not. You're just looking for something to complain about.

Again, someone's vanity (vain, not vane) doesn't affect you.
I think people are looking to identify the bee in their bonnet.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:34 PM

9,573 posts, read 5,767,595 times
Quote:
This is pretty much the real issue. OP, what these people are doing has no negative effect on you. You are and others are looking for reasons and excuses to be annoyed. I can't emphasize with that. In my opinion it people who decide to be passively annoyed at others simply because they are being themselves seem to thing that everyone should be who they want them to be. Quite selfish really. These people aren't even thinking about you OP.
I think you are right but at the same time, that is part of the problem. People are so oblivious to everyone around them. It's like people are walking around in little bubbles isolated from the people who they are sharing space with as well as their surroundings. Some people have become so intertwined with their FB reality that they can't seem to just be present in the moment. They are snapping photos of themselves, editing the image to make sure they look good and thinking of witty status updates to post with their latest photo. In a sense they are busy crafting their image or social mask at the expense of just being.

I do think this type of behavior impacts a lot more people then the person taking the selfie or the person who is glued to their phone, texting and checking up on FB. I have noticed changes in relationships with both friends and family that I feel are directly related to the type of behavior I'm describing and I can't say it's a positive change. I feel like we are just at the tip of the iceberg and I worry about how my kids generation in particular will be transformed in ways regarding social interactions and self image due to this type of technology. I am still having trouble fully expressing my concerns about it but this is the jist of it.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I think you are right but at the same time, that is part of the problem. People are so oblivious to everyone around them. It's like people are walking around in little bubbles isolated from the people who they are sharing space with as well as their surroundings. Some people have become so intertwined with their FB reality that they can't seem to just be present in the moment. They are snapping photos of themselves, editing the image to make sure they look good and thinking of witty status updates to post with their latest photo. In a sense they are busy crafting their image or social mask at the expense of just being.

I do think this type of behavior impacts a lot more people then the person taking the selfie or the person who is glued to their phone, texting and checking up on FB. I have noticed changes in relationships with both friends and family that I feel are directly related to the type of behavior I'm describing and I can't say it's a positive change. I feel like we are just at the tip of the iceberg and I worry about how my kids generation in particular will be transformed in ways regarding social interactions and self image due to this type of technology. I am still having trouble fully expressing my concerns about it but this is the jist of it.
I agree with your second paragraph. I too worry about my daughter and how she will be affected by social media. Frankly, I do not want my daughter snapping selfies in the bathroom. I don't want her self image to be dependent entirely on her physicality and how she presents herself online. Likewise, I do not want her to be petty or judgmental of others. I like your post here because there is humility and you are sober with your concerns.

With that said, IRT to your first paragraph, you are making a lot of assumptions unless you are only speaking of people you intimately know. The woman I know who does car selfies does so for God knows what reasons. I have no idea if she's walking around in a little bubble, if she volunteers at hospice or a homeless shelter, if she's a big sister, etc. I don't know if she spends most of her time taking these selfies, editing them, and thinking about clever captions. Maybe she spends 15 minutes a week, maybe she spends several hours a day. I have no idea, so I don't bother assuming. Those who do assume likely have more going on than meets the eye as well. I wouldn't want my daughter to become either of these people.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:19 PM

635 posts, read 690,220 times
I think selfies are annoying and you really can't compare them to taking regular, timed pictures.

In today's time, the selfies are all about 'look at where I went, where I am, how I look, who I met,' etc and they are mainly for showing off on media sites. Pictures taken with cameras seem to capture moments special to a person and while they are shown to others, this isn't the main reason for taking them.

I knew the selfies thing was out of control when grown men sent me some (nothing offensive though) via text that I didn't request. They got perturbed when I didn't reply about them and had the nerve to question me why I didn't reply back. Crazy.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:59 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,359,379 times
Here's a 4 step rule for those who may want to convince people to quit selfies...

To be honest though... I say "who cares"... if people want to take pictures of themselves then go right ahead... at home, in public, on the toilet... go for it. This has been going on ever since the invention of the camera phone... it only became this "phenomenon" once the actual term "selfie" came about...... so... just like any other craze that might bother you here's the simple solution... ignore it!

Old 05-08-2014, 01:30 AM

1,327 posts, read 775,511 times
I can do the EMO face too! My BF made it his phones screen saver, lol!

I'm kinda liking the selfie thing!

Old 05-08-2014, 02:42 AM

12,587 posts, read 13,992,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Understandable-you may not get your camera back.

it seems kind of odd to me too, Emigrations. But a lot of stuff people do these days seem odd to me. This at least is harmless.
Our culture has become one of obsessive self-engrossment, which seems a necessary element of an economy so utterly dependent on personal consumerism. Consider the "selfie" takers an indication of economic health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships