U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 08:40 AM

10,372 posts, read 9,391,362 times

Advertisements

People have set cameras on tripods and used the timer to sit in front of the camera and take their pix for years. . . . and people take their photo on their computer's camera....no different from just holding up a cell phone and taking one's pix. And there are those photo booths that have been around for many decades.

The only part that's new is the word "selfie".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 08:54 AM

3,350 posts, read 5,955,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I was at the Pacers-Hawks playoff game this evening and noticed an inordinate amount of middle aged and even elderly people taking silly selfies or couplies. There was a point in the second quarter where it seemed more people around me were taking selfies than were watching the action on the court.

Are people so vain they need to see themselves all the time? It's not that they are photographing the game and being discourteous - they are the object of their own interests, and the stadium just serves as a backdrop. They don't even care about the basketball being played.

Do you find that people are becoming unusually selfish with all these selfies and couplies and not being focused at all on what's going on around them or photographing real events?
Yes! It's a troubling indication of how narcissistic our society has become. I first noticed it at an outdoor concert I went to probably about five years ago. People all around us seemed more interested in posing for the camera (and talking to each other) than they were in actually watching the show. It's a sad commentary on our society, but self-absorption seems to rule the day. The comments so far in this thread seem to prove that out, since people seem to be just fine with this kind of behavior.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:46 AM

1,971 posts, read 2,493,132 times
People take selfies simply because they can. Not so long ago, hardly anyone (relatively) carried a camera around in their pocket, much less one that posts to the internet and has dual cameras specifically set up to make taking "selfies" easy. Also, people would rather see a photo of someone they know vs. just a random scene. Nobody wants to see an amateur photo of a basketball game.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:35 AM

12,540 posts, read 12,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
People take selfies simply because they can. Not so long ago, hardly anyone (relatively) carried a camera around in their pocket, much less one that posts to the internet and has dual cameras specifically set up to make taking "selfies" easy. Also, people would rather see a photo of someone they know vs. just a random scene. Nobody wants to see an amateur photo of a basketball game.
That's the problem. People think they are more interesting than they really are. A good action shot of a slam-dunk is way more interesting than yet another distorted picture of someone's face.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:44 AM

2,937 posts, read 3,055,849 times
What else do you expect from the "Me-me-me" generations ? I included anybody under 60 in this group. These are the same people that talk loud in a restaurant, leave their grocery carts between cars, park over the lines, and talk/text while driving. They don't give a damn what they do, they are the most important and only person in the world that matters.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:50 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,482,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
Yes! It's a troubling indication of how narcissistic our society has become. I first noticed it at an outdoor concert I went to probably about five years ago. People all around us seemed more interested in posing for the camera (and talking to each other) than they were in actually watching the show. It's a sad commentary on our society, but self-absorption seems to rule the day. The comments so far in this thread seem to prove that out, since people seem to be just fine with this kind of behavior.
You are so right! The thought that someone would interrupt a 2 hour concert (or basketball game) to take a 15 second selfie is unnerving and definitely an indication of the end of civilization as we know it. Could it be that they simply want to capture the moment and modern technology allows them to do it easier than ever before? Have you never taken a picture (with you in it) an event or tourist attraction?

Old 05-04-2014, 11:02 AM

10,819 posts, read 8,071,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say that if their cameras are flashing, that's pretty obnoxious and distracting, actually. Selfies require leaning or holding arms out, too. I'm a huge hockey fan and used to have center ice seats down low for my team. Leaners obstruct other people's views. People holding their arms out to worship themselves do the same.

Do you know how much sports tickets go for these days? If I've paid for tickets and the people next to me are blocking my view or, even worse, leaning on me or encroaching on my space, while I am trying to watch the game, they will be made aware of their own obliviousness in no uncertain terms.
OP specifically stated that s/he is speaking about people who are not being discourteous.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:06 AM

44,938 posts, read 36,237,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
What else do you expect from the "Me-me-me" generations ? I included anybody under 60 in this group. These are the same people that talk loud in a restaurant, leave their grocery carts between cars, park over the lines, and talk/text while driving. They don't give a damn what they do, they are the most important and only person in the world that matters.
I'm under 60. I do NOT:

1. Talk loudly in restaurants (on or off my phone - I don't answer my phone in restaurants for one thing)
2. Leave my grocery cart out of the cart area - I am a stickler for putting it back in the queue area, in rain, shine, when I'm on crutches - anytime.
3. Park over the lines - nope.
4. Text while driving - nope. I do talk on my hands free phone while driving sometimes, though. To me that's no different from talking to someone sitting beside you in the car.

I take selfies! LOL Why not? I took one yesterday because I got a new hair stylist and she gave me a new haircut - and my husband was out of town, so I sent him the selfie. He appreciates it when I do that.

(I wasn't driving by the way!)

Old 05-04-2014, 11:40 AM

44,938 posts, read 36,237,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
That's the problem. People think they are more interesting than they really are. A good action shot of a slam-dunk is way more interesting than yet another distorted picture of someone's face.
I love it when my kids post "selfies" of themselves and their families doing interesting things. It's a matter of personal opinion, I guess - personally I prefer photos of people I know doing fun things together than shots of strangers, doing just about ANYTHING. But hey, that's just me.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:46 AM

23,651 posts, read 33,457,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I was at the Pacers-Hawks playoff game this evening and noticed an inordinate amount of middle aged and even elderly people taking silly selfies or couplies. There was a point in the second quarter where it seemed more people around me were taking selfies than were watching the action on the court.

Are people so vain they need to see themselves all the time? It's not that they are photographing the game and being discourteous - they are the object of their own interests, and the stadium just serves as a backdrop. They don't even care about the basketball being played.

Do you find that people are becoming unusually selfish with all these selfies and couplies and not being focused at all on what's going on around them or photographing real events?
Well, you seem you were more interested in watching others take selfies than watching the action on the court yourself.

I was at a concert with my favorite current rapper in his hometown last night. I took a few selfies with folks I met at the concert. Now please sentence me since you are so hot on being a judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships