U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 12:11 PM

204 posts, read 258,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Understandable-you may not get your camera back.
If I found myself somewhere with high threat of theft, i'd leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 12:42 PM

19,078 posts, read 21,900,041 times
There's the narcissist bunch taking selfies (I do the groupies) and the drama queen bunch complaining about it. Sigh.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:42 PM

5,450 posts, read 3,756,859 times
The most likely answer is so they can post it to facebook and show their friends they were at that game.

I see this kind of activity as no different than writing letters in the 19th century or sending postcards in the 20th.

Yeah people are self-absorbed. It's been that way since people started drawing on cave-walls. I mean, who CARES that some caveman caught a deer 12,000 years ago??

Old 05-04-2014, 12:54 PM

9,155 posts, read 8,663,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I was at the Pacers-Hawks playoff game this evening and noticed an inordinate amount of middle aged and even elderly people taking silly selfies or couplies.
"Couplies" is a word?

Old 05-04-2014, 01:44 PM

7,495 posts, read 9,755,823 times
I quit the whole Fakebooking thing, but when I was on there, I updated my picture with a selfie from time to time since I don't have people to take pictures of me. I had friends who updated their profile constantly with selfies, even in places like public restrooms! It got so annoying but whatever floats their boat.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:25 PM

6,040 posts, read 4,432,703 times
To the extent that I attend group events (game, concert, performance) to be part of a group energy type feeling, the selfie obsession is a big turnoff. For me it's not a bother per se, but having so many people obsessed with getting the right shot (and it rarely, rarely ever is a good shot) and checked out of the moment is a distraction.

Otherwise I don't care all that much but privately think it's lame. I see irony in someone with 500+ FB friends unable to locate ONE OF THEM to take a picture of them. Apparently they're alone. A lot.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:34 PM

4,826 posts, read 7,271,251 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdemFfbS5H0

Old 05-04-2014, 02:37 PM

4,826 posts, read 7,271,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
People have set cameras on tripods and used the timer to sit in front of the camera and take their pix for years. . . . and people take their photo on their computer's camera....no different from just holding up a cell phone and taking one's pix. And there are those photo booths that have been around for many decades.

The only part that's new is the word "selfie".

No, there's a HUGE difference.

Back in the day of timers on cameras or photo booths, people were taking a photo of themselves or themselves with their family/friends to have as a souvenir of a date or a holiday or whatever.

Today? People constantly post or share "selfies" of themselves: At work, at a game, at lunch, at dinner, with their lunch or dinner, walking down the street, sitting on the subway, at a club, in a park, just waking up, getting ready to go to sleep, etc etc etc as if the world just must know their every move all day long.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:55 PM

19,078 posts, read 21,900,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Love it! My one year old started grooving to it lol.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:17 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,147,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
The most likely answer is so they can post it to facebook and show their friends they were at that game.

I see this kind of activity as no different than writing letters in the 19th century or sending postcards in the 20th.

Yeah people are self-absorbed. It's been that way since people started drawing on cave-walls. I mean, who CARES that some caveman caught a deer 12,000 years ago??
That is exactly what it is about!

Dear me. All the vituperative comments . . . narcissism? whaaaaaat?

Instagram, Vine and Facebook, for example, allow you to GPS the location, pinpoint it. So folks will take a photo of themselves or with their companion(s) . . . "pin" the location and send it to a social media site so they can memorialize the moment.

It is no different than folks in the past taking their vacation photos in front of the Eiffel Tower to show folks "where they were" and "who they were with." People have been doing this since the camera was invented, only -- they had to use a tripod and a time lapse feature (or one of those cords with a button) - or they had to ask someone to take their photo. So instead of being able to take the photo while in their seats at a venue, they had to take the shot outside the stadium or near the concession stands - whatever - cause there was no convenient way to take a photo of themselves in their seats!!!

This has nothing to do with ME ME ME or NARCISSIM. This is just good fun and a way of sharing your experiences, not only with your friends and family, but for yourself, like a diary or travel journal.

If there were a bunch of "elderly" folks doing this - that does my heart good - b/c that means these folks are able to use technology to share their experiences in "near real time" on a social media platform.

We are all our own newscasters these days (if we want to be!!!) I can livestream from any location using Ustream (or one of the other livestream platforms). What the heck is wrong with that? If that is what my friends and I enjoy doing, so what? If Grandma and Grandpa are savvy enough to take a selfie, send it to FB so their kids and grandkids can see them out and about having a great time . . . whose business is that?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships