U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 04:19 PM

425 posts, read 348,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
Yes! It's a troubling indication of how narcissistic our society has become. I first noticed it at an outdoor concert I went to probably about five years ago. People all around us seemed more interested in posing for the camera (and talking to each other) than they were in actually watching the show. It's a sad commentary on our society, but self-absorption seems to rule the day. The comments so far in this thread seem to prove that out, since people seem to be just fine with this kind of behavior.
Agreed, and just as alarming as the narcissism brought to light in the original post, is how everyone on the first page of this thread instantly jumped on the original poster for wondering why people are so increasingly narcissistic. As if what people do should not concern you or be brought up in discussion. Just go back to being a drone, right? Move along, nothing to worry about.

Yes, people have been swept up in an age of narcissism.

There has never been anything wrong with taking pictures of things, yourself, your group.
The problem now is that people are CONSTANTLY taking pictures of EVERYTHING -- but most of all, THEMSELVES -- and the mundane things they're doing. I find this incredibly irritating and disruptive, not only to me, but to the people who engage in this behavior. I also feel anyone who brings this up for discussion is completely in their rights to discuss the issue, without being told to "shut up and worry about yourself only."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 04:21 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,165,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
No, there's a HUGE difference.

Back in the day of timers on cameras or photo booths, people were taking a photo of themselves or themselves with their family/friends to have as a souvenir of a date or a holiday or whatever.

Today? People constantly post or share "selfies" of themselves: At work, at a game, at lunch, at dinner, with their lunch or dinner, walking down the street, sitting on the subway, at a club, in a park, just waking up, getting ready to go to sleep, etc etc etc as if the world just must know their every move all day long.
You are sooooooo wrong about "why" folks take so many pictures today!

People didn't take photos of themselves pre-digital era because it was expensive to develop the photos! So we all had to pick and choose when we were willing to spend the $$$$ to memorialize the moment.

With everything digitized, no one has to spend $18 to develop film or slides . . . and they don't have to wait for a week or so to get them back, either!

It has everything to do with MONEY.

What is puzzling to me is why people think the only time a photo should be taken is for some RARE MOMENT in life. ????????

Last edited by brokensky; 05-04-2014 at 04:57 PM..

Old 05-04-2014, 04:29 PM

23,579 posts, read 17,567,761 times
To me, the people doing this are doing it because they want to be seen. It's a "hey, look at me!" thing. What got me was the screens didn't show the game - they only showed the owner's face.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:40 PM

30,039 posts, read 16,607,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I love it when my kids post "selfies" of themselves and their families doing interesting things. It's a matter of personal opinion, I guess - personally I prefer photos of people I know doing fun things together than shots of strangers, doing just about ANYTHING. But hey, that's just me.
Me too! And when my friends' post their selfies.

It's harmless fun.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMT View Post
Agreed, and just as alarming as the narcissism brought to light in the original post, is how everyone on the first page of this thread instantly jumped on the original poster for wondering why people are so increasingly narcissistic. As if what people do should not concern you or be brought up in discussion. Just go back to being a drone, right? Move along, nothing to worry about.

Yes, people have been swept up in an age of narcissism.

There has never been anything wrong with taking pictures of things, yourself, your group.
The problem now is that people are CONSTANTLY taking pictures of EVERYTHING -- but most of all, THEMSELVES -- and the mundane things they're doing. I find this incredibly irritating and disruptive, not only to me, but to the people who engage in this behavior. I also feel anyone who brings this up for discussion is completely in their rights to discuss the issue, without being told to "shut up and worry about yourself only."
I can't fathom how this has turned into some kind of weird discussion about narcissistic behavior. Taking pictures of one's self and sharing them with FRIENDS who are doing the SAME THING (sharing their photos) is "narcissistic"? Not hardly.

I think either you just don't know how to use the technology - or don't have any friends who care if you "share" a photo so you have decided to disparage anyone else who does, lololol.

If it were 1966 you would doubtless be the one complaining about the loud music - and asking why those disrespectful, self-centered narcissistic kids are fainting and screaming just because some mopheads from Liverpool are on TV.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:02 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,639,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I was at the Pacers-Hawks playoff game this evening and noticed an inordinate amount of middle aged and even elderly people taking silly selfies or couplies. There was a point in the second quarter where it seemed more people around me were taking selfies than were watching the action on the court.

Are people so vain they need to see themselves all the time? It's not that they are photographing the game and being discourteous - they are the object of their own interests, and the stadium just serves as a backdrop. They don't even care about the basketball being played.

Do you find that people are becoming unusually selfish with all these selfies and couplies and not being focused at all on what's going on around them or photographing real events?
I've never done a "selfie" and probably never will since I don't allow my picture taken.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
To me, the people doing this are doing it because they want to be seen. It's a "hey, look at me!" thing. What got me was the screens didn't show the game - they only showed the owner's face.
Well of course it "showed the owner's face." Why would anyone take photos of a game? Other than a professional photographer? People don't attend a game and focus on photography unless they do it for a living or are an amateur with thousands of dollars worth of telephoto lenses and a Nikon.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:10 PM

9,155 posts, read 8,667,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I can't fathom how this has turned into some kind of weird discussion about narcissistic behavior. Taking pictures of one's self and sharing them with FRIENDS who are doing the SAME THING (sharing their photos) is "narcissistic"? Not hardly.

I think either you just don't know how to use the technology - or don't have any friends who care if you "share" a photo so you have decided to disparage anyone else who does, lololol.

If it were 1966 you would doubtless be the one complaining about the loud music - and asking why those disrespectful, self-centered narcissistic kids are fainting and screaming just because some mopheads from Liverpool are on TV.
We're not talking about "mopheads from Liverpool ... on TV." What's comparable with the OP's premise is people's taking pictures or videos of themselves instead of watching said mopheads at the mophead concert, for which all have paid a lot of money. Forgive me if I'm being too "gramps" for you, but I don't bother with concerts anymore because I don't feel like dealing with idiots making videos of concerts which 9 out of 10 of them will never watch anyway. Just listening to the music is no longer enough? And I'm supposed to pay today's big bucks to go to such an event? Nuh-uh.,

The Kinks (another "mophead" group, from Muswell Hill, in North London) said it best:

"People take pictures of each other
Just to prove that they really existed."

Probably not a textbook definition of narcissism, the lyric certainly speaks to the sense of "self uber alles" today's ubiquity of cameras implies.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:15 PM

23,638 posts, read 33,434,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
We're not talking about "mopheads from Liverpool ... on TV." What's comparable with the OP's premise is people's taking pictures or videos of themselves instead of watching said mopheads at the mophead concert, for which all have paid a lot of money. Forgive me if I'm being too "gramps" for you, but I don't bother with concerts anymore because I don't feel like dealing with idiots making videos of concerts which 9 out of 10 of them will never watch. Just listening to the music is no longer enough.

The Kinks (another "mophead" group, from Muswell Hill, in North London) said it best: "People took pictures of each other, just to prove that they really existed."
Good lord. For the 15-60 seconds that people usually take a selfie are they missing that much? I didn't miss a thing IMO when I posed for a selfie with some people I met last night at a concert for my favorite rapper. It was during a minute when they were changing songs. Selfies and being engaged in the "rage" are not mutually exclusive.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:20 PM

9,155 posts, read 8,667,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Good lord. For the 15-60 seconds that people usually take a selfie are they missing that much? I didn't miss a thing IMO when I posed for a selfie with some people I met last night at a concert for my favorite rapper. It was during a minute when they were changing songs. Selfies and being engaged in the "rage" are not mutually exclusive.
You're so self-absorbed, it seems, you completely missed my point. I couldn't care less if you miss any of the show. I do not want to sit near you while you play with your toys, all of which give off glare and light and noise. And when you add up everyone's "15-60 seconds," it becomes quite a thing to deal with. Thanks, but no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships