U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 08:44 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,832,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Well, I will respectfully submit that my personal take on the word is a photo of one person self-taken when said person is alone. If that makes sense. The irony of which is it's often shared on social media when in some respects it's an example of a very non-social moment.
I think you're overthinking it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 09:12 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,058,272 times
Quote:
Well, I will respectfully submit that my personal take on the word is a photo of one person self-taken when said person is alone. If that makes sense. The irony of which is it's often shared on social media when in some respects it's an example of a very non-social moment.
Not so, this famous selfie is very public, very social, and very crowded. It's been posted on thousands of commercial, social, and news websites, all of which label it as a selfie.

Edit to add: even a lawyer's site discussing legal issues about who owns the rights to the photo refers to it as a selfie.
Reading through this last article, I found an interesting link: A History of the Selfie

Last edited by biscuitmom; 05-04-2014 at 09:27 PM..

Old 05-04-2014, 09:46 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,832,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Not so, this famous selfie is very public, very social, and very crowded. It's been posted on thousands of commercial, social, and news websites, all of which label it as a selfie.
And we can't forget this famous selfie either. More than one person, everyone is fully clothed, and no bathroom mirror in site

Old 05-04-2014, 11:40 PM

44,713 posts, read 36,132,256 times
According to Wiki (so of course it's true) a selfie can be a photo of more than one person.

Selfie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-05-2014, 01:16 AM

477 posts, read 398,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
That's the problem. People think they are more interesting than they really are. A good action shot of a slam-dunk is way more interesting than yet another distorted picture of someone's face.
No its not. People I KNOW are WAY more interesting to me than complete strangers bobbing about with a ball. Those really old pictures in my dad's photo albums are of far more value to me than "yet another distorted picture" of a complete stranger dunking a basketball.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:43 AM

19,078 posts, read 21,900,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Don't you just love the way other people think they have a right to tell you what you should and should not be bothered by?

See above. Who are you to tell me I need to "chill out"? Having my "entertainment time" "interrupted" and "inconvenienced" is for me to decide, not someone named Bronwyn from the internet.

Of course there are sides. The "field" you speak of is everywhere in the country, everywhere in the world; the battle is in the war over how people act in public. Your side won.
You don't have anyone called bronwyn from the Interne telling you anything, princess. As in princess and the pea. But, hey, don't chill out. Perhaps being this miserable over complete stupidity is what you feel you deserve.

And if my side won why are we still seeing this petty, pouting behavior?

Last edited by Braunwyn; 05-05-2014 at 05:57 AM..

Old 05-05-2014, 08:50 AM

44,713 posts, read 36,132,256 times
OK, aside note - here's something to strongly consider doing. I did this last year and I am very glad I did so.

I went through all the Facebook photos, from me, my kids, friends, etc. I saved the best ones, and the ones I liked the most (sometimes they aren't "the best ones" but they are the random photos that really capture personalities), and I had them printed at Walmart. IT'S DIRT CHEAP. I had several prints of the favorites printed out and I put them in photo albums for myself and the kids. THEY LOVED IT. See, we don't have nearly as many photo albums to pass down for future generations. I think it's a mistake not to print and frame or put into albums the best photos we have.

I am going to try to do this every year at Christmas - go thru the social media photos and print the best ones. What great and unexpected gifts! I actually had big afghans made of the best family shots, for each adult kid, so they could "curl up" in their family's love in the evenings. WOW, those got a great reception! So did the photo albums and framed prints.

I found that it was actually less expensive to have the photos printed at WalMart than it was to print them at home.

And yes, some of the photos I printed were selfies - of myself, and others. Sometimes those are the funniest photos.

Good times, good times.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:39 AM

6,040 posts, read 4,432,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
No its not. People I KNOW are WAY more interesting to me than complete strangers bobbing about with a ball. Those really old pictures in my dad's photo albums are of far more value to me than "yet another distorted picture" of a complete stranger dunking a basketball.
Another one who doesn't get it.

If you don't want to watch a basketball game, if it's boring to you, don't go. That's easy right?

If you do go, please use a modicum of manners and respect those who are there to watch the game (concert/play/movie), and don't create a distraction through excessive and intrusive phototaking. Note use of the word intrusive (clogging up aisles, constantly holding up phone blocking view). Nothing wrong with a couple snapshots, but those of you who have been to events in the last couple of years know what I'm talking about.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:05 AM

10,322 posts, read 9,372,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
No, there's a HUGE difference.

Back in the day of timers on cameras or photo booths, people were taking a photo of themselves or themselves with their family/friends to have as a souvenir of a date or a holiday or whatever.

Today? People constantly post or share "selfies" of themselves: At work, at a game, at lunch, at dinner, with their lunch or dinner, walking down the street, sitting on the subway, at a club, in a park, just waking up, getting ready to go to sleep, etc etc etc as if the world just must know their every move all day long.
It's a fad, and it's just a fun thing for folks to do....the word 'selfie' is the silly part.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:44 AM

477 posts, read 398,909 times
Quote:
Another one who doesn't get it.

If you don't want to watch a basketball game, if it's boring to you, don't go. That's easy right?

If you do go, please use a modicum of manners and respect those who are there to watch the game (concert/play/movie), and don't create a distraction through excessive and intrusive phototaking. Note use of the word intrusive (clogging up aisles, constantly holding up phone blocking view). Nothing wrong with a couple snapshots, but those of you who have been to events in the last couple of years know what I'm talking about.
If you are distracted by someone taking a "selfie", you're not paying all THAT much attention to the game.

Get over yourself. The cell-phone "selfie" is a LOT less intrusive than the old click-camera or polaroid "selfies". If it bothers you that much - stay home and watch the game streaming live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships