Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 12:53 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,266,661 times

Advertisements

For me it's not really the long length of the posts that exhausts me. It's the incessant and completely unnecessary drama that's being spelled out at great length that exhausts me. Compound that with having to decipher the horrible grammar and punctuation.

So yes, I'm frequently exhausted after reading some of these essays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 12:53 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I've seen the older posters here whine and about excessive OP length more. I'm calling this thread what it is from the beginning. Just another shot at Generation Y.
I don't mind a long initial thread. What I don't like are the ones that are loaded to the gunwales with excessive detail. And, really, if an OP is that long and convoluted, then it speaks volumes about the viability of the relationship in the first place.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:54 PM

22,552 posts, read 47,605,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
There is a big difference in reading a story in a book and reading an OP that can be summarized in two or three paragraphs take the length of a book.
Exactly!

And then, along with the excessive narrative, they omit all punctuation and mess up the grammar.
Too hard to read that way... and I am not one of those young'uns the OP talks about.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:56 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Exactly!

And then, along with the excessive narrative, they omit all punctuation and mess up the grammar.
Too hard to read that way... and I am not one of those young'uns the OP talks about.
Or the ones that were pretty obviously written under the influence at 2 a.m.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:03 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,248,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Or the ones that were pretty obviously written under the influence at 2 a.m.
ok, but why go out of your way to post such a negative comment on that person's thread, are you that mean, or is it just easier to be that mean b/c no one knows you?

I mean, seriously, wouldn't it be easier to just skip over the thread and not say anything?

is it any wonder some of the old timers do not post here any longer?
You guys are like vultures, that swoop in for the jugular....
and so what if someone doesn't punctuate or write as you would like them to, then don't read them....my gosh? It's like people are so mean any more....why?

Old 05-05-2014, 01:18 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,937,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
My goodness, what is wrong with the younger generation today, talk about instant gratification and not wanting to read....I've gone into several threads, including my own, where someone comes in and writes,
"God, I'm exhausted reading this"....well, don't you think that is blatenly rude, and if you feel that way, why even read it to begin with, then comment about it?

I suppose people just don't like reading in today's world?

What is your take, or am I being touchy?

I just think that is so rude?
I admit, I won't spend the time trying to parse out a 10" long block of solid words. I don't usually take the time to let the poster know why either. But, I think it's considerate to tell somebody that their message is not coming across when it's buried in verbiage.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:45 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,049,354 times
I went back and re-read the thread I believe you're referring to and my comment in it.

My comment about "exhausting" was not meant as a dig to you, but it was an honest response to the situation you were having trouble with and described in great length. What I took from it was a boatload of petty drama festering among a group of 'friends' and an amazing level of detail describing the drama play-by-play. That's why i said it sounded like an exhausting set of friends.

As far as skipping over, I do skip over threads that don't interest me at all, but friendship and relationships are topics that do interest me so I read and comment.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:04 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,882,567 times
I don't mind "long" posts per se, and I've been known to be kinda verbose myself.

But to me, if it's long, everything you include needs to be relevant to the topic and to the point you're trying to make. It's the extraneous stuff that infuriates me.

And by all means, please, please, please, separate stuff out into paragraphs. The bigger the post, the more negative space you need to have or the readers' eyes will bleed. Nothing worse than a huge wall of text with no white space and hardly any punctuation.

I agree with the others that with some posts, it's the content (pointless interpersonal drama) that's "exhausting," not the length of the post.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:57 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,358,315 times
Lots of back and forth, poor punctuation, few paragraphs, excessive detail.... all of these things make for posts that I have no desire to read. I don't see it as rude - I see it as letting the OP know they need to be more courteous to the reader - you know, the person they are usually asking for free advice. I try to write clear, well-thought-out and concise responses. When I ask questions on the boards, I review my posts to see if I have written something that will be difficult to read. I don't expect everyone to be a great writer, but a little proofing and organization is not taken amiss.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:10 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,498,347 times
I think the problem is two-fold: some don't have the attention span to deal with anything more than a paragraph and some are AWFUL at organizing and trimming down their thoughts into something coherent for others to read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships