Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 06:16 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times

Advertisements

Hello all, many thanks for your inputs...even those that don't agree....

I'm going to try very hard to use paragraphs and puctuation properly in this post, spelling, well, can't promise you there...

Anyway, my argument is not with the use of paragraphs, puctuation or spelling, that is not my issue, but I cannot speak for anyone else.

My issue is, with the rude comments....like, "oh, I'm so tired reading this", or other wise.

I believe there is a right way and a wrong way, and believe me, I'm far from always being right, however, in this case, it is a matter of opinion and how you were raised, and what you were raised to believe.

Wouldn't it be much easier to go into a thread and voice your opinion in a nice way, in trying to help that person understand, that it is difficult to read their posts....and this is why, and maybe they could try to use paragraphs next time, b/c it is long and it would certainly make it easier for other members to read?

that is the bottom line of this discussion....like it or not...it is totally up to you....
Forums are in fact a form of discussion, and I'm totally there with how threads are expressed and written, I don't have a problem with that, what I do have a problem with is how people respond to it...and other subjects, using an aloof or insulting manner to respond.

As I've said before, not everyone is a writer and writes well with paragraphs, puctuation and so forth...some people are handicapped, some are shy and as myself, just are not good at all these things but do want to participate and express.

I don't see any reason to be snarky or mean, some don't care if they are or not...so be it.

I just feel it would be much more supportive of people, especially new people in the forum, to be nice to them...and that is my take.

I've made up a New Year's Resolution, at this late date...

1. Will try very hard to do better when I post
2. Will no longer argue or fight with anyone, post any snarky comments, and will try very hard not to reply or react to snarky, mean-spirited comments, or those comments that try to mock or make a fool out of the poster....

If we all try to do this, perhaps we'd learn more instead of arguing and trying to hurt someone's feelilngs, especially new comers to the forum, it might not scare them and the older posters away who get really tired of snarky posters, who prefer to be mean, rather then discuss.? Your choice and mine...which we all have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 08:33 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Hello all, many thanks for your inputs...even those that don't agree....

I'm going to try very hard to use paragraphs and puctuation properly in this post, spelling, well, can't promise you there...
Were those comments aimed at you? Let me at 'em!

Old 05-08-2014, 03:26 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Well creme I would call this thread a sucess if you, as well as the rest of us, take your advice. I can get on board with that. Especially if you take it easy on women. Perhaps my elephant memory of my grieving thread will dissipate.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:36 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
I remember the first time I wrote a lengthy post. OP, you actually replied to that one years ago. I was new to forums and all of my words were together, meaning I did not skip any lines, etc.

I used to be able to read threads like that but anymore, I can't. I try but I have blurred vision and I end up just clicking out of it.

I would never tell someone it was tltr. I have seen that quite a bit. If it was too long to read, I would just not read it!

There is no reason to be rude about it. Also, when someone told me to use paragraphs, I appreciated it....

Old 05-09-2014, 05:51 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Braunwyn Well creme I would call this thread a sucess if you, as well as the rest of us, take your advice.
I'm certainly going to try....

Quote:
Especially if you take it easy on women.
It is difficult, as I've had more male friends then female friends....worked with all men a good part of my life and grew up with boys...brother and all his friends, not to many females in my life growing up, so I'm pretty cut and dry, as you know.

Anyway, a girlfriend once told me that my confidence sometimes intimidates other women? Don't get that? Pretty much self sufficent since I was little, b/c I had to be, and just take off and go it alone many times for many reasons.

Have found throughout my life, there are plenty of good women around, and I have been so blessed to know those special ones, but, in my experience, whenever you try to get a group of women together, there always seems to be so much drama and a clash of ideas and bickering?

I don't understand, why I am not allowed to make that comment, without everyone getting all upset like they think in this forum, I'm talking about them? That just doesn't make any sense? Honestly, I cannot fathom, how a stranger would feel like I'm referring to them?

I don't remember who said what in what thread or when? But I do know that some of the men in this forum have made comments and I've seen how nasty some women can get in these forums? Don't ask me who, b/c I don't remember and will not remember those that were angry in this thread, it just doesn't matter that much to me. But, does being right really matter that much that someone is going to rush into threads and be mean? And believe me, I've seen a lot of men do the same thing...but that wasn't the subject...here in this thread.

Quote:
Perhaps my elephant memory of my grieving thread will dissipate.
Huh? I'm not understanding?

Old 05-09-2014, 10:44 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,399,611 times
Keep grinding that axe, OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships