Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 04:32 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
ok, but why go out of your way to post such a negative comment on that person's thread, are you that mean, or is it just easier to be that mean b/c no one knows you?
Or maybe the poster will learn something, and in the process make the post easier for ALL to read.

Really, if you post and want opinions, you have to communicate your situation concisely. That enables others to understand and reply. Otherwise, why bother?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 04:47 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Interesting that someone just started a thread in the "About the Forum" forum suggesting that a rule be established limiting the length of posts. I argued against the rule but agreed that some people are too wordy and repetitive.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:22 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,617 times
Quote:
My goodness, what is wrong with the younger generation today, talk about instant gratification and not wanting to read....I've gone into several threads, including my own, where someone comes in and writes,
"God, I'm exhausted reading this"....well, don't you think that is blatenly rude, and if you feel that way, why even read it to begin with, then comment about it?

I suppose people just don't like reading in today's world?

What is your take, or am I being touchy?

I just think that is so rude?
If only we had the patience of people from your day like Stalin or Hitler. I imagine you feel this way because you at some point posted a long winded thread then someone you discerned as being a young person. Age has nothing to do with being able to draw attention, people still love to hear 87 year old Don Rickles

Last edited by CoolZombie; 05-05-2014 at 05:30 PM..

Old 05-05-2014, 06:58 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I agree with the others that with some posts, it's the content (pointless interpersonal drama) that's "exhausting," not the length of the post.
And all too often it's obvious that the bulk of the drama is going on in the poster's head, i.e., s/he reads elaborate scenarios into every move, gesture, and word made by others. When I read these posts, I can't help but reflect on how tiring it must be to let one's thoughts run amuck like that.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:03 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
I don't mind long posts if they are well written, concise, and have some depth in content. I also think it's a benefit to the writer to be corrected about poor grammar and spelling. I've been corrected a number of times on this forum and it's really a favor imo. With that said, we're all going to differ on what we find interesting and relevant to write about. One man's garbage is another man's gold, etc.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:58 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,000 times
Honestly I do get exhausted when someone doesn't use paragraphs and I have to sort through a solid block of text. I attribute it more to my aging eyes. I won't go out of my way to call someone out on their posts though. I just skip past the ones that are hard to read.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:07 PM

675 posts, read 645,049 times
Quote:
My goodness, what is wrong with the younger generation today, talk about instant gratification and not wanting to read....I've gone into several threads, including my own, where someone comes in and writes,
"God, I'm exhausted reading this"....well, don't you think that is blatenly rude, and if you feel that way, why even read it to begin with, then comment about it?

I suppose people just don't like reading in today's world?

What is your take, or am I being touchy?

I just think that is so rude?
Ah, the old "tl;dr (too long; didn't read)".

The thing is, our high school English teachers were right to make us write in paragraphs that end at maybe 5-7 sentences. Otherwise, it does get unmanageable, especially when the punctuation is suspect. Sentence and paragraph structure, with all its arguably annoying commas, semicolons, breaks and such, makes most things much less ofa headache to read.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:14 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Transplant View Post
Ah, the old "tl;dr (too long; didn't read)".

The thing is, our high school English teachers were right to make us write in paragraphs that end at maybe 5-7 sentences. Otherwise, it does get unmanageable, especially when the punctuation is suspect. Sentence and paragraph structure, with all its arguably annoying commas, semicolons, breaks and such, makes most things much less ofa headache to read.
I am a writer and rarely write a paragraph of more than 3 sentences.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:57 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
All one has to do is glance at something to see how long it is. If it's too long for your attention span, why not just skip to another conversation? There are plenty of them here. Some discussion groups have word limits on posts. This one doesn't to my knowledge. If someone wants to take advantage of that, it doesn't bother me. If I'm bored or confused, I'll stop reading.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:31 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I admit, I won't spend the time trying to parse out a 10" long block of solid words. I don't usually take the time to let the poster know why either. But, I think it's considerate to tell somebody that their message is not coming across when it's buried in verbiage.
Mattie, that is fair, however, also consider this, there are some people who write in forums, that are handicaped, or have debilitating diseases....for instance, they're brains, know what they want to say, but it doesn't always come out that way...and honestly, we don't know who is who, on here, and it is quit snobish of some to go into a thread, and then take the time to post something negative? Why, why generate all that energy to leave negative energy and perhaps hurt someone's feelings? I don't get people and how cruel they can be without any concern or care for someone else's feelings....?

I'm sorry Mattie, but it just doesn't make any sense....and there are many people in here who are handicapped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships