U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 10:50 AM

14,243 posts, read 7,854,096 times

Advertisements

Hugs for me are a quality of life issue. I hug people at work all the time, especially a distraught family member. We're a tight bunch in our tiny hospital. One of my coworkers gave me a nice compliment yesterday so I hugged her. It lasted maybe 5 seconds. I've already hugged my boys as soon as I got out of bed. I love their little smiley dog faces racing up to me as soon as my feet hit the floor. (John is in there somewhere too.) Morning hug fests are the best. So are late night cuddles with the cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 11:36 AM

8,199 posts, read 6,096,236 times
They make me cringe.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:00 PM

474 posts, read 422,578 times
Here in Quebec, hugs are usually reserved for your mother or children.

Kissing both cheeks is what you do when you meet friends or family members (handshakes if both are men).

What's funny to me is that double-kissing makes most people uncomfortable on this continent (and seen as something you'd do to a very, very close friend), except here in Quebec where it is the opposite.

Last edited by begratto; 05-06-2014 at 12:18 PM..

Old 05-06-2014, 12:14 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,644,068 times
I love hugs! Huggety hug hug hug! Hugs to everyone! Except people who say they hate hugs. You get an approving nod in your general directions.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:56 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,091,142 times
I'm not much of a hugger, but I don't necessarily deny access.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:12 PM

477 posts, read 396,941 times
No. And I find it extremely intrusive and rude when people insist I don't really mean it when I tell them to stop doing it, and then try to grab me anyway.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:10 PM

9,228 posts, read 18,851,791 times
Not a hugger. If the other person and I are going to have sex, then hugging is okay. If the other person or I just got news that someone we love tragically died, then hugging is okay (but I'm talking tragically). If I see someone I care about and we haven't seen each other in over a year, sure, I'll hug, but only because it seems expected.

Apart from those examples, I'm not into hugging. I know too many people that are hugging all over the damned place, hugging people they just saw yesterday, hugging people they just met. Yeesh.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:22 PM

23,557 posts, read 33,276,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I bet that was hard for you?
Nothing worse than being a large 6'5 black guy. Everyone thinks I'm a g$&damn teddy bear and think that is permission to hug me. I'm more a mean grizzly bear.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:54 PM

7,496 posts, read 9,712,487 times
My granddad was never the hugging type either. I almost never remember hugging him until his later years. I have no idea how my mother grew up so huggy. She was always making me hug people I didn't even know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I am old school English. I don't do hugs!! I don't know where all this hugging came from. It never happened when I was young. You would mebbe shake a male friend's hand if you hadn't seen him for a long time. More likely a gentle pat on the back!!

If someone had lost a loved one, mebbe a hand round the shoulder, and a gentle pat there. Then somewhere in the recent past this hugging started. Even worse, the kiss on the cheek, sometimes a kiss on each cheek. You never know if they're a one or two cheek kisser, so you get embarrassing situations where one person withdraws, as the other tries to kiss the other cheek!

My eldest son insists on hugging me when he hasn't seen me for a long time...... even though he knows I'm not a hugger. The sooner we get back to the old ways the better!!

I blame the French............
Yeah the French do that.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:40 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,345,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphonics View Post
I love hugs! Huggety hug hug hug! Hugs to everyone! Except people who say they hate hugs. You get an approving nod in your general directions.
This made me LOL, thank you.

Hugs are fine with true friends and other people with whom I have a genuine caring relationship. Coworkers? Nope. My kid? Yes.

Length of hug should be directly proportional to how close we are. I am never the first one to let go of a hug with my kid. Friends that I like but am not super-close with, it's more like a lean in back-pat.

I despise my in laws and the last thing I need is them pressing their breasts into me. BARF!!! I don't know how to get them to stop, and that is seriously gross to me. The best I can do is give intentionally bad hugs, like side-hugs or back-pats where I keep my hips as far away from theirs as possible.

(In a nod to an earlier post in this thread, I also intensely dislike handshakes. Even more than hugs.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships