Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 05:45 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I am just shocked at the number of replies from posters who want Doctors and Dentists to be robots with no warmth or caring to interact with them. Just shocked!
Equally shocking (maybe a better word is "unfortunate") is that this is your totally skewed interpretation of what has actually been said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 09:48 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times
Dentist visits have always been pretty stressful and uncomfortable for me. It really helps to have a friendly dentist.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:48 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
I am just shocked at the number of replies from posters who want Doctors and Dentists to be robots with no warmth or caring to interact with them. Just shocked!
I've read all these posts and I didn't see where anyone said any such thing. You must be easily "shocked".

Old 05-07-2014, 11:10 AM

757 posts, read 1,094,330 times
OP makes a good point. If you are in the business of helping and working with people, you should be personable. In the medical field, it's called having a good bed side manner. When I go see a doctor, I expect that we will make time to get to know each other. That's how trust is built. When dealing with my health, I want someone I can talk to and feel comfortable doing so.

My last doctor used to be personable until he switched over to electronic medical records. He then sat behind his laptop, never looked at me, asked questions and typed. I told him that was not acceptable and that he needed to look me in the eye and have a human conversation with me. That's what I expect and I do not think that's unreasonable.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:01 PM

513 posts, read 737,035 times
Default A coworker recommended her eye doctor

to me--he was so much "fun!" When I went for the exam, he laughed at about anything and actually laughed as he gave me the glaucoma test when I jumped a little bit at the burst of air into my eye! I told her I didn't care for him and my coworker was very surprised, as everyone in her family used him and loved him.

So I like a balance--I don't expect the doctor or any professional person to be an ice-cold robot, just personable and competent but I don't expect to be entertained.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:58 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
I don't care how competent someone is, if they make me feel uncomfortable I don't want them touching me. As a child, I had quite a few negative experiences with drs and dentists. I had a sadist for a dentist who never gave me novocain before drilling, and he would whistle a tune while drilling, fully aware I was in excruciating pain. Add to that a creepy doctor who made me totally disrobe and sit there naked for any type of visit, these experiences made me very careful who I allow to work on me as an adult, and I often forgo medical treatment because of my negative experiences. I do find it necessary that they at least be friendly and kind. A competent robot doesn't work for me.

I expect a hairdresser to be somewhat friendly and engage in a little small talk. The girl I have now is a very talented haircutter but completely silent during the entire time I'm there. I'd like her better if she was a bit more personable.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:48 PM

324 posts, read 407,538 times
Yes. I build relationships with people who I see regularly for their service. I've had the same doctor, dentist and stylist for over a decade. It really makes a difference when the relationship is friendly and not "all business".

I also get a good price (or discount) with my doctor, dentist and stylist since I am a long time client and I would suppose because our relationship is friendly.

Last edited by cosmic_girl; 05-07-2014 at 10:57 PM..

Old 05-07-2014, 11:15 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Default The four "A's"

The “Four A’s” of Medicine | Dr. Tom Bibey: Stories of the Bluegrass Music Road

I would put ability first, then availability, affordability, and affability.

A doctor with a good bedside manner is nice, but I want the best care first.

The same could be said of the vet and the dentist.

I've never had a hair stylist who was not chatty.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:09 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
I have a lot of health problems so have a lot of doctors of different specialties. Especially the ones like neurologists tend to lack bedside manner. As long as they are knowledgeable and don't make a mistake I can handle not being so friendly. I do wish doctors knew though how being caring to a patient can really help them in the trust factor and for the patients mental health.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:33 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,425,649 times
Quote:
I understand these guys are busy and have a job to do but shouldn't they at least engage me in 30 seconds of small talk?
No. They "should" not. They should offer an efficient service that you are paying for. Anything else is their own choice. The consumer "Should" pick the one they feel comfortable with. If you want a chatty version - go attend a chatty version. Those of us who like to sit in silent contemplation while these people perform their task - well we can have the choice to attend the quiet ones.

The "should" lies with you and me therefore - not with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships