Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Do You Feel About Drop-In Visitors?
I'm under 40 and prefer to be called the day before. 51 15.94%
I'm under 40 and prefer at least an hour's notice. 50 15.63%
I'm under 40...drop on by anytime. 12 3.75%
I'm over 40 and prefer to be called the day before. 109 34.06%
I'm over 40 and prefer at least an hour's notice. 62 19.38%
I'm over 40...drop on by anytime. 36 11.25%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 01:56 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,039 times

Advertisements

Giving people a heads up about you visiting gives them an opportunity to escape from the house which we dont want them doing (muahahahahahahahaaaaa)

Seriously though, i suppose if your day is a full schedule of things done at every. single. minute. to where if someone knocks on your door it just throws your day into complete chaos then i could perhaps understand you needing someone to make an appointment...err sorry, um "schedule" a visit. But something like this happens, what? Once every 2 months if that? I mean its not like as soon as the people leave and you close the door someone else is knocking on it.

If im vegging in my undies and someone knocks on my door i'll say "Be right with you!" and i'll throw on a pair of pants and a top. Takes all of 12 seconds.

Last edited by pythonis; 05-12-2014 at 02:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 01:57 PM

183 posts, read 322,783 times
Haven't read the thread but I'm 52 and I hate and I mean really hate people who just show up unannounced. Unfortunately the people I know usually want something and I have really had to work on my assertiveness over the years as I always had the tool, money, or expertise someone always seemed to need. I may just be a grumpy old man but at least show the common courtesy to call first, which isn't hard with the handy cell phone nowadays. Also, I'm one of those who peeks out kitchen window when I hear a knock on the front door before deciding whether or not to answer it!

Now back to my hermit kingdom!

Old 05-12-2014, 01:57 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I don't like it when someone just stops in without warning. I normally don't have to worry about it except for one person. She's an OK person otherwise, and we often hang out and drink wine and play cards together, but she is older and retired, and if she sees my car is home at a time when I'm normally at work, she'll stop and ring the bell under the pretense of checking to see if I'm sick.

This happened just this Thursday. I took a couple of days off from work and had an old friend coming from out of state. I'd cleaned the house and was just getting ready to get into the shower when my doorbell rang. There stands this woman, and she says, "Are you OKAY?" I said, "Yes, why?" She said, "WELL, I saw your car and you're not at work."

Apparently I'm supposed to report in every time I take a day off, and as a matter of fact, I HAD told her I was taking a few days off, but she'd forgotten. It annoys me a bit that she always has to know what I'm doing. (It also annoys me that she's always dropping broad hints trying to find out what my salary is, but I'm not gonna tell her what I make and I'm not gonna tell her it's public information that can be found on the Internet, either, hehehe.)

As I said, I like this person for the most part, but she has boundary issues. Unfortunately, there is no way for her to leave her home or come back to it without passing mine, and she always looks to see if my car is there.

Even if I WAS sick, that won't stop her--I had a tooth pulled last month and my jaw ached so much that I cancelled a trip to visit my daughter that weekend. Of course she called me to see why my car was there, and I told her about the jaw pain. The next day she says to me, "I was going to stop over and keep you company last night because I know you didn't feel well (WTF??????? Why on earth would you do THAT??????) but I got a phone call at the last minute from my daughter saying she needed me to babysit."

Old 05-12-2014, 02:26 PM

Now for me, when I was little, none of us ever minded a random drop-in but we all knew that if we saw extra vehicles in front of the persons house or in the driveway that they probably had family over and NOT to intrude.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:27 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Giving people a heads up about you visiting gives them an opportunity to escape from the house which we dont want them doing (muahahahahahahahaaaaa)

Seriously though, i suppose if your day is a full schedule of things done at every. single. minute. to where if someone knocks on your door it just throws your day into complete chaos then i could perhaps understand you needing someone to make an appointment...err sorry, um "schedule" a visit. But something like this happens, what? Once every 2 months if that? I mean its not like as soon as the people leave and you close the door someone else is knocking on it.

If im vegging in my undies and someone knocks on my door i'll say "Be right with you!" and i'll throw on a pair of pants and a top. Takes all of 12 seconds.
Bc we do not answer the door.
Most of the time, it is solicitors.
Under your plan, I would be jumping up, running across the house, putting on clothes, etc...just to tell a solicitor to buzz off.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Bc we do not answer the door.
Most of the time, it is solicitors.
Under your plan, I would be jumping up, running across the house, putting on clothes, etc...just to tell a solicitor to buzz off.
Hmm you must be in an area that gets them frequently. I get maybe one-two a year tops.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:43 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
How do you feel about drop-in visitors...and what is your age group also so that we can see if there is a difference in opinion from age group to age group?

Personally, I don't like drop-in visitors. I think it is common courtesy to call first to see if it is convenient for someone to come by. I guess that is just the way I was raised. How about you?
ALL FISH AND VISITORS STINK AFTER TWO DAYS..Benjamin Franklin

Old 05-12-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
ALL FISH AND VISITORS STINK AFTER TWO DAYS..Benjamin Franklin
yes but what if its only for twenty minutes?

Old 05-12-2014, 03:01 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,028,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Bingo, the best post so far.

Yes, I was taught--and still believe it as firmly as I believe anything--it absolutely IS stuck-up and snobbish. Period.

I mean really, people have to be PREPARED for a brief 10-minute visit from friends who just want to spend some time with them? You need some sort of notice to get in the right frame of mind to TOLERATE their intrusion into your precious kingdom? Puh-leeze. You're not a CEO managing a major corporation, get over yourself.
The problem you assume is it's a "brief 10-minute visit". In my experience, people that think nothing of dropping by unannounced also don't know when it's time to leave.

I think it's disrespectful to impose yourself on someone else with no notice because you don't know what you're intruding on.

When I was a kid, most mothers were homemakers, so maybe houses weren't as disorganized, and visitors were more welcome since they'd been home all day. Nowadays with the majority of families being two-income homes, all we have are evenings and weekends with our families, to take care of chores, home maintenance, run kids to activities, and have downtime. I don't want to host people unexpectedly, at their convenience but not at mine. A phone call or text will not kill anyone.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:10 PM

Wonder if thats the reason why so many friendships end after marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships