U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Do You Feel About Drop-In Visitors?
I'm under 40 and prefer to be called the day before. 51 15.94%
I'm under 40 and prefer at least an hour's notice. 50 15.63%
I'm under 40...drop on by anytime. 12 3.75%
I'm over 40 and prefer to be called the day before. 109 34.06%
I'm over 40 and prefer at least an hour's notice. 62 19.38%
I'm over 40...drop on by anytime. 36 11.25%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 10:09 PM

43,580 posts, read 52,760,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Okay and if you were me youd be sitting there doing nothing other than wandering around the house maybe playing with the dog or trying to figure out what dvd to put in. So it wouldnt take 5 seconds to get receive anyone.
Man, if I were in a meandering house mood, I definitely would not be wearing pants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 10:13 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,465,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Even Miss Manners says guests should give notice.
I dont read Miss Manners. Having to call someone to ask permission to visit is a pet peeve. Id rather just stay home.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Man, if I were in a meandering house mood, I definitely would not be wearing pants.
You cant put your pants on in under 5 minutes?

Old 05-14-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
You cant put your pants on in under 5 minutes?
I don't have 5 minutes, remember? No notice. Just a bell ringing.

And it has actually happened many times that by the time we get to the front door, the people have left.
Unless you run, it can take a while to get to the front door. Our house is very long. And the upstairs is on one side of the length of it. So to get down the stairs, back across the house to get pants from the master, and then open the door can take a long time. People have left without the whole pants thing...adding pants to it would guarantee they would assume no one is home.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:28 PM

Ok, cuz I ain't got **** else to do, I timed it.

Not from upstairs. From the couch in the den downstairs, it took me 31 seconds under normal walking speed to get to the front door. I did not have to deal with the dogs bc the doorbell did not actually ring (sends them into a frenzy). Add more time for that.

I timed the walk from den to master, to pants putting-on, to door...1 min 33 sec.

People who are dropping by do NOT wait that long. Does not sound long, but time it.
Hell, even the pizza guy starts banging on the door and we are fully pants-on bc we are expecting them!

Old 05-14-2014, 10:34 PM

Okay well i'll time it on my end......

16 seconds to get from the computer into the bedroom put pants on and walk out to the front door. I even managed to yell "hold on a sec' while i was walking towards the bedroom.

Not everyone lives in a mansion with a half mile long driveway.

Tell you what: if i ever visit you i'll call first. If you ever plan to visit me then theres no need.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:53 PM

4,949 posts, read 7,613,740 times
I have several friends and neighbors who drop by unannounced, all of them are welcome to do so and all of them are equally savvy enough to know that when a knock is unanswered (although, honestly, most just come through the gate to the garden where we are usually hanging out) or when we say we are just not up for visitors right now that's just fine with them and they leave and we get together another day.

It is the way I've been brought up and I wouldn't have it any other way. I have great friends and experiences because of it. Many times the drop byes are accompanied with plates of food, bottles of wine or pitchers of margaritas/sangria, and the afternoon or evening that follows is filled with great conversation and fellowship. Since I don't have children I am especially tickled that we are often visited by children of our neighbors and friends who love to hang out with us and delight in feeding the fish in the ponds or playing in the garden.

I often apparently "bug" the next door neighbors unannounced as well (some elderly and living alone) sometimes with sandwiches, salads or meals or just to say hello and thankfully I don't get the door slammed in my face either, rather, they seem to appreciate the quick visit and thoughtfulness just as I do. And when they don't answer the door it doesn't bother me at all, sometimes you just aren't up for a visit and that's fine as well.

To each his own but honestly I think some of you are just a bit uptight and need to chill a bit. It's just a visit from people who like you.

I'm in my early 50s

Last edited by T. Damon; 05-15-2014 at 12:06 AM..

Old 05-15-2014, 06:21 AM

20,419 posts, read 37,715,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I have several friends and neighbors who drop by unannounced, all of them are welcome to do so and all of them are equally savvy enough to know that when a knock is unanswered (although, honestly, most just come through the gate to the garden where we are usually hanging out) or when we say we are just not up for visitors right now that's just fine with them and they leave and we get together another day.
I cannot fathom why that concept is so foreign to many here....

Our friends are that way too!

Old 05-15-2014, 07:34 AM

730 posts, read 1,029,427 times
Someone mentioned the concept of "southern hospitality" earlier and it does make me wonder how much attitudes toward drop-ins are influenced by the part of the country (or the country itself, if not the USA) in which they and/or their parents grew up.

My original ancestry is British and my USA-based forebears were all from New England. Both cultures have a strong tendency toward personal privacy and keeping to oneself. The concept of southern hospitality is equally balanced by the well-known "New England reserve". When you add to that the fact that someone's personality may be inherantly introvert rather than extrovert, it should be perfectly understandable that they don't like visitors in general and especially the drop-in variety, even if other factors such as their own schedule/lifestyle don't influence it as well.

I honestly don't think that age is that much of a factor though, other than the tendency to become less likely to suffer fools gladly as we get older, LOL. IMHO people who like or dislike drop-in visitors have probably always felt that way to some degree, barring any drastic change in circumstances.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:03 AM

20,419 posts, read 37,715,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
Someone mentioned the concept of "southern hospitality" earlier and it does make me wonder how much attitudes toward drop-ins are influenced by the part of the country (or the country itself, if not the USA) in which they and/or their parents grew up.
PA here... so that hospitality is not relegated to the South. PLUS I know many Southerners who do not care for visitors.
I am of eastern European ancestry... we tend to be a hospitable bunch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
I honestly don't think that age is that much of a factor though, other than the tendency to become less likely to suffer fools gladly as we get older, LOL. IMHO people who like or dislike drop-in visitors have probably always felt that way to some degree, barring any drastic change in circumstances.
True.
I feel, though, that as I get older I value friendships more. And friends are always welcome to drop by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or