Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Do You Feel About Drop-In Visitors?
I'm under 40 and prefer to be called the day before. 51 15.94%
I'm under 40 and prefer at least an hour's notice. 50 15.63%
I'm under 40...drop on by anytime. 12 3.75%
I'm over 40 and prefer to be called the day before. 109 34.06%
I'm over 40 and prefer at least an hour's notice. 62 19.38%
I'm over 40...drop on by anytime. 36 11.25%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 02:55 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Look, and this is what really irritates me.....

I don't care how you live your life, but your first paragraph proves that you are not able to look past your own feelings....who is the selfish one here.

I'm much older then you are and I said, when I was younger it didn't bother me, but I've changed now, I have MS, I need sleep, rest and down time....and I've been struggling for years to get people to stop calling and wanting to talk for hours, and to stop coming by on Sundays to give me some time to just lay around and rest. I'm divorced/single and live alone, therefore, I've grown selfish with my time, and I choose to work full time b/c I love working....

So, it isn't riciculous at all no matter what you think....this is me, my feelings and how I live my life and it is by all means not selfish and who in the world stops by for 10 minutes...that never happens dude.

when your 65 years old come back and tell me you still like it when people stop by unannounced. My son, my daughter in law, and grand daughter live far away, and when they come, I don't want company. When I have company visiting, I don't want anyone else coming around....I'm not a party chick any longer....sometimes people come by just to talk about personal things to unload or to vent that they wouldn't want anyone else to hear.....

so you chill, and be a little less aggressive at assuming everyone should think and feel like you do....and when you start paying my bills, you get to tell me to chill and that I'm wrong....for feeling the way I do.

Yes, indeed, my home, my rules....exactly! My sanctuary and safe place away from the rest of the world!!!

You young smart Alec whipper snapper....LOL (just kidding)

Oh and when I have dinner parties, everyone is invited.....

Seriously dude, think about it.
Okay this is how i read the "argument" between you two:

One person is saying "Yes i showed up without calling first but what were you doing? Absolutely nothing, so it isnt like i interrupted something vitally important"

The other person is saying "Youre right I wasnt doing anything THIS TIME. However I would like for you to get into the habit of calling ahead of time from now on just in case".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 03:33 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
walking in on someone is the height of ignorance.... you dont know if that person is ill or tired.. just had an arguement with her hubby or in the middle of one.... its not nice and people should realize this... I had an aquaintance who use to bang on my door like a policeman looking for an arrest and thought it was quite funny when I answered the door all flustered, she d be standing there all smiles with her brat child who would pull my house apart and jump over furniture. things I would never allow my kids to do when young, in fact I never went visiting with them..I took them to the park ..This same person kept her own house beautiful and in order at all times.. She would also land in on me on a Saturday night, that was my night for my hubby and I to try and relax , but her hubby worked nights so she was at a lose end and would just walk in... then talk over the shows we were trying to watch on telly, a few times saying that another programme was on the other channel that her and her brat liked to watch on Saturday nights.... cheek wasnt the word. pure lack of any manners and I had to give her the cold shoulder so that it stopped...

Old 05-15-2014, 03:41 PM

Okay this goes back to what I said about the world being PC: You can demand a heads up or not but when people are being disrespectful in your home then you need to put your foot down and not care if they get offended.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:54 PM

93 posts, read 225,879 times
I didn't vote, it's more none of the above. I don't like people inviting themselves over (which is how I view both a day or one hours notice - someone is just telling me they are inviting themselves over). I don't like any visitors that I haven't invited over.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkyandPunctual View Post
I didn't vote, it's more none of the above. I don't like people inviting themselves over (which is how I view both a day or one hours notice - someone is just telling me they are inviting themselves over). I don't like any visitors that I haven't invited over.
Doesnt sound like youre a very perky person imo.

Last edited by pythonis; 05-15-2014 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: rephrased

Old 05-15-2014, 04:45 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times
I'm almost 40... and not a huge fan.

I don't have much free time, and the precious bit that I have tends to be planned out. I hate it when someone shows up as a surprise visitor, and I'm unshowered, sweaty, and in the middle of housework.

Last weekend, for example, I was wearing old sweats and cleaning out my fridge/freezer. I looked horrible, and would not have been very happy if someone had decided to drop by and ring my doorbell for a surprise visit.
I probably wouldn't have answered the door.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:09 PM

93 posts, read 225,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I'm a very perky person. I just don't like intruders into my space. If I want you in my home, I'll invite you. It's not complicated.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:49 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I think my biggest problem about this thread is your making sweeping generalizations about people's character/morals/'generosity/etc based on their answer to this question.

And you're likely wrong about most if not all of them.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:51 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkyandPunctual View Post
I'm a very perky person. I just don't like intruders into my space. If I want you in my home, I'll invite you. It's not complicated.
Friends visiting without a scheduled appointment=intruders.

You're right, it's not complicated (or very warm to me either).

Your house, your rules, naturally--still, give me the likes of pythonis any day.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think my biggest problem about this thread is your making sweeping generalizations about people's character/morals/'generosity/etc based on their answer to this question.

And you're likely wrong about most if not all of them.
I make sweeping generalizations about the entire world I live in so why would this little thread be exempt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships