U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 12:02 PM

24,671 posts, read 58,108,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
"Jim" signed all the paperwork including a year long lease agreement ... Then I get a letter from Jim in rehab and he apologized because he felt he'd let me down on various things and he was reducing my rent by $100/month as a result. He gave me the new address to send a money order to him.
Jim is your legal landlord since he rented the property to you and signed the lease agreement. Jim was also within his rights as LL to reduce your rent. What goes on between the family is for them to sort out. If the family wants to change the plan then they can provide you with a notice from the court that they've been duly appointed. Too bad you gave his mother the money order but suggest you don't do that again until you've got something official in hand. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 12:04 PM

24,671 posts, read 58,108,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
^^^ Who is Bob?
JimBob?

Old 05-08-2014, 12:05 PM

4,697 posts, read 4,330,816 times
Default Newsflash!

Wow, I just got a phone call from Jim. They let him out of rehab early because it turns out he has some rather serious health issues. The rehab is about 200 miles away from here and he's already half way home. He had absolutely no idea that his Mom was going to come collect the rent herself and he sounded pretty PO'ed with her. I feel terrible because now Jim really does need that money and he has no idea what will happen next. Will he have to go to a different rehab that has better medical facilities? Will he have to be admitted to a hospital in a bigger town than ours? What about gas money and money for his prescriptions and everything else? Dang, dang, dang!

I'm going to have to go over my budget - maybe see if I can pick up some extra work, so I can at least pay Jim that extra $100.00. I feel so guilty and pretty mad at Jim's mom. I shouldn't have let her talk me into giving her money that belongs to Jim and that he really needs right now.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:06 PM

8,224 posts, read 14,861,411 times
Ok, so now there is yet another person involved in this: Bob.

Here's the issue: you have a lease, it is signed by Jim as property manager for owner Grandma. Mom has absolutely no standing in this unless or until you receive something in writing either from Jim or from Grandma removing Jim as property manager and assigning anyone else.

It is not your business to get involved in this family's issues. It is a strictly contractual issue. How Jim or Bob's mother came off to you or what her politics or religious views are is of absolutely no concern to you and does not have any bearing on how or to whom you pay your rent or other obligations.

You may not like the renting forum, but it is the only appropriate forum for this type of question, IMO. Your question is not about relationship issues as those issues do not change or impact your business arrangement; i.e. lease/contract.

Just read the update: Again, BUTT out of the interpersonal relationships of your landlord/property manager.

Last edited by NY Annie; 05-08-2014 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: OP updated posting while I was typing

Old 05-08-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
JimBob?
Hah! I edited that back to "Jim." My apologies to Annie and anyone else I may have accidently confused. I was flustered because I'd just gotten that call from him I mentioned in my post above. It was like he was reading my mind or something!

Old 05-08-2014, 12:14 PM

13,102 posts, read 17,661,987 times
Please stay away from getting involved in your landlord's family or medical issues. Who is your actual contract with? Was the check/money order made out to that party? Do you have a receipt for the payment given to his mother? How your landlord pays for his gas is his problem to say it bluntly.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:29 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,927,759 times
You are in danger of being dragged into a family arguement that will not end well for you...it never ends well for the renter . Legally speaking...keep your ducks in a row as far as getting receipts for rent payments and copies of all communications you get regarding your rent and the house. If Jim has to be gone for medical issues or treatment, you may find yourself in a bad situation with the mom. The last thing you need is for her to try and bully you into moving early or paying more...crazy LL's can make your life hell.

As for your personal friendship with Jim... keep that seperate. If you want to give him some money to help him out, don't inter-twine it with rent payments in any way. It's just you being friendly and giving Jim some cash to help him pay for gas.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Please stay away from getting involved in your landlord's family or medical issues. Who is your actual contract with? Was the check/money order made out to that party? Do you have a receipt for the payment given to his mother? How your landlord pays for his gas is his problem to say it bluntly.
This ain't my first time at the rodeo and I've always kept past landlords at arms length if not further. Jim and I just happened to click and I guess I consider him as much as or more a friend than I do a landlord. But you're right that the family (ie Mom) could make things difficult. Receipts will be carefully preserved as well as the letter and any others that might be sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
You are in danger of being dragged into a family arguement that will not end well for you...it never ends well for the renter . Legally speaking...keep your ducks in a row as far as getting receipts for rent payments and copies of all communications you get regarding your rent and the house. If Jim has to be gone for medical issues or treatment, you may find yourself in a bad situation with the mom. The last thing you need is for her to try and bully you into moving early or paying more...crazy LL's can make your life hell.

As for your personal friendship with Jim... keep that seperate. If you want to give him some money to help him out, don't inter-twine it with rent payments in any way. It's just you being friendly and giving Jim some cash to help him pay for gas.
Yeah, rent checks and money to help a friend are a very bad combo. Couldn't agree more. If Jim's mom ends up as my new landlord because Jim leaves the picture, I'll probably look for a new place. I hate the thought of moving yet again, but them's the breaks I guess.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:44 PM

192 posts, read 341,482 times
I would be even more careful now that Jim implying that he really needs that money, while you said you don't think he is try to cheat his grandmother you really can't be sure of that. The last thing you want is to end up evicted or in a place that is not being kept up because pocketed it the money.

I totally agree with the advice that if you want to help him out as a friend then do so, but keep that separate from the rent issues.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:51 PM

10,802 posts, read 8,012,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Wow, I just got a phone call from Jim. They let him out of rehab early because it turns out he has some rather serious health issues. The rehab is about 200 miles away from here and he's already half way home. He had absolutely no idea that his Mom was going to come collect the rent herself and he sounded pretty PO'ed with her. I feel terrible because now Jim really does need that money and he has no idea what will happen next. Will he have to go to a different rehab that has better medical facilities? Will he have to be admitted to a hospital in a bigger town than ours? What about gas money and money for his prescriptions and everything else? Dang, dang, dang!

I'm going to have to go over my budget - maybe see if I can pick up some extra work, so I can at least pay Jim that extra $100.00. I feel so guilty and pretty mad at Jim's mom. I shouldn't have let her talk me into giving her money that belongs to Jim and that he really needs right now.
Sounds just like a relationship well on the way to becoming romantic and co-dependent, with mom as a convenient scapegoat. Good luck with all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or