U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 10:02 AM

1,871 posts, read 1,659,191 times

Advertisements

When I was younger I used to be super paranoid about people gossiping about me but I had a turning point and quit giving a bleep about whatever people are gonna say. There is a great quote that I really love and try to follow in my life; what other people think of you is none of your business. To me it basically goes with do you want to give this person power and waste energy worrying about them and their rudeness and stupidity. Don't give into to giving others power and time and energy wasted on their meanness, just focus on the positive and good in life. I realize this is easier said than done and I at times struggle but overall getting better with this motto. Off my pedestal now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 10:16 AM

6,299 posts, read 5,942,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennValleyDuuude View Post
Not for me, it's exhausting being around people that are secretly plotting your demise
People are doing that anyway though. Gossipers are just a bit more honest and upfront about telling someone else that they are doing it.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:06 AM

54 posts, read 54,533 times
I'm always surprised to find myself and what i do of interest to others.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:49 AM

6,461 posts, read 6,453,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
The die-hard gossips I've encountered don't trash talk, they just get off on keeping up with everyone's business.
By-and-large they mean well and are known as people who enjoy mixing with other people. They are extroverts to the max. But they are best avoided like the plague because they WILL tell everything they know about everyone, and speculate about what they don't they know, and no one is immune from their telling and speculating.
This is so true.one of my friends was pregnant and told her immediate family only. Well, one of the siblings posted it on my friends facebook wall before it was made public. She just loves drama!

Some people love to gossip, so I just don't tell them anything juicy.

One of my coworkers confided that she had been married before and divorced. It came out years later and this other gossipy person confronted me about it. She couldn't believe I hadnt known and that I should have told her. I basically told her it wasn't my business to share and that I can keep a secret, including her own.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:52 AM

28,906 posts, read 46,604,037 times
I don't like gossip, so I try not to indulge in it.

I was actually the victim of baseless gossip once. A long time ago, a vindictive ex-employee spread all kinds of rumors about me, the kind that involve my dipping my pen into company ink. All patently false, but when somebody says something like that, it's awfully hard to disprove. I mean, I'm a family man, a guy who walks through the door every night at 6 pm. How do you prove that something didn't happen?

Fortunately, I have a good reputation for ethical conduct, so very few believed what this person had to say. But it has always annoyed me no end.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:34 AM

305 posts, read 228,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
I really hate it when people start gossiping about others behind their backs! I leave when they start that up. I know full well they will gossip about me too, making stuff up if they have to, and I want nothing more to do with them. I think it's why I'm pretty much a loner.

They'll still gossip about you even if you leave, so why not just stay?

Old 11-11-2014, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
The die-hard gossips I've encountered don't trash talk, they just get off on keeping up with everyone's business.
By-and-large they mean well and are known as people who enjoy mixing with other people. They are extroverts to the max. But they are best avoided like the plague because they WILL tell everything they know about everyone, and speculate about what they don't they know, and no one is immune from their telling and speculating.

As long as you mention that you're speculating, there's nothing wrong with speculating.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:40 AM

4,294 posts, read 3,064,128 times
Gossiping about me ha ha that means I am some what like Hollywood star right,, so why worry I am famous. I listen to people what ever they say but nothing go to my head or ear, Me I don't care who talk about me what.... if some one born to do it they will do it any way. but my opinion about those people , they are people with no back born to face and say what ever they want to say so they do it behind me. Fine go ahead they advertise about me for free.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:28 AM

1,007 posts, read 863,549 times
I once worked in an office where people loved to gossip about celebrities. It was weird because they talked like they actually knew these people or that what they thought about some celebrity's life just had to be communicated to the rest of us. I didn't get it.

Anyway, a friend and I once started our own rumor about ourselves just to see how fast it would spread. OMG it was like wildfire. Now that was entertaining.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona13 View Post
I once worked in an office where people loved to gossip about celebrities. It was weird because they talked like they actually knew these people or that what they thought about some celebrity's life just had to be communicated to the rest of us. I didn't get it.

Anyway, a friend and I once started our own rumor about ourselves just to see how fast it would spread. OMG it was like wildfire. Now that was entertaining.

What was the rumor you made up about yourselves and what did it look like after it had fully spread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships