U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 11:15 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,124,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
I'm of the opinion that they should stay at the house during the day but get a hotel to sleep at, whats your opinion? Also what's your age and position in life (married, single, kids) for reference?
Whatever they are more comfortable doing. My hubby and I recently moved to a 2/2, and we are going to be getting a new bed, and ours will be in the other bedroom. If they want to stay, they are more than welcome to. However, understandable they will want some "me" time so if they wanted to leave they could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 12:12 PM

2,455 posts, read 2,610,218 times
Though I have other family in town my house has always been the go-to place for visiting relatives to stay. Not sure why but I don't mind. I tell them up front (if they haven't been here before) that's it's just like Motel 6 but not as nice.

I do have a pretty garden though.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:38 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,197,182 times
I dont understand the OP's concern. All family are welcome to stay. I'm married and live in a 2200 sft, 4br house. There's just no reason for family to drop $$$ on a hotel unless they choose to do so.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:14 PM

62 posts, read 95,280 times
I prefer visitors whether family or not, to make arrangements to sleep elsewhere especially those I do not know very well, and also if they bring their pets...except for my grandkids....other than that....I agree with phonelady61....I stay at hotels, because I prefer my privacy and I am very clean and particular regarding my living standards, and I would expect guest to make the same provisions....especially with small children, they can destroy cherished items and even grandma can make arrangements also, because you never know anymore, what truly lurks in the minds of others!! Others ask me to visit also because I make other arrangements, and insist on others abiding by the same criteria!

Old 05-11-2014, 04:39 PM

24,839 posts, read 29,977,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgusted_53 View Post
I prefer visitors whether family or not, to make arrangements to sleep elsewhere especially those I do not know very well, and also if they bring their pets...except for my grandkids....other than that....I agree with phonelady61....I stay at hotels, because I prefer my privacy and I am very clean and particular regarding my living standards, and I would expect guest to make the same provisions....especially with small children, they can destroy cherished items and even grandma can make arrangements also, because you never know anymore, what truly lurks in the minds of others!! Others ask me to visit also because I make other arrangements, and insist on others abiding by the same criteria!
Why would you have a guest you don't know well?

Old 05-11-2014, 04:46 PM

3,929 posts, read 7,490,833 times
Our relatives are welcome to spend the night. We have a small guest room and we give guests near-exclusive use of the hall bathroom. Some guests do stay with us; others prefer a hotel. The guest room does not have a television. Our only TV is in DH's office, and is not a comfy place for TV-watchers to sit. Some may prefer a hotel for this reason.

Going the other way, I have stayed with family, and I have stayed at a hotel.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:00 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,247,549 times
Bring it on! Friends, family, even a close co-worker.

Our house has an office that can be converted to a bedroom and we are a family of three.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:19 PM

36,949 posts, read 45,385,657 times
I am pretty open to hosting both relatives and friends. They only stay 3-5 days, so they hardly ever start to stink. We have a split ranch, so the guests can have a private bathroom and choice of two bedrooms at the opposite end of the house. They all take us out for a meal at least once, and I would rather cook for company than just the two of us.

What drives me nuts is when guests sit around and expect us to entertain them. My favorite guests are those who amuse themselves all day, then come back and share what they did over dinner. We live in an area where there are plenty of things to do, including spending the day at the beach, but I've been there, done that, so I'd just as soon not do the same things over and over.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:05 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,691,555 times
If you have the space and you don't think your parents should be allowed to stay over at your house, I think there may be some latent, unresolved childhood issues that warrant therapy. And possibly medication.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:50 PM

9,454 posts, read 12,254,159 times
Default African-American Culture

African-American Culture pretty much have it ingrained into ours by-laws that Family stay in Family
Member Homes especially in the case of Funerals ( what we AA call Home Goings ) vacation wouldn't
be possible in some cases without this arrangement .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or