Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 11:58 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times

Advertisements

My family lives in Denver, while a good number of our friends and relatives live at sea level. People who visit are usually exhausted because of the altitude. It's important for their comfort that they have a quiet place to rest during the day, which means a hotel. Fortunately, there are several very nice and relatively affordable options within five minutes of our house.

In the last few years, our family has begun staying in a hotel when we visit home. At first, it was awkward, but over time everybody has agreed that our visits are much more pleasant this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 12:40 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,272,610 times
We don't get my visitors but I don't mind people staying in our guest bedroom. Of course at the moment, we don't have a bed for that bedroom so they would need to make do on a blowup mattress. Now if we were in a house without a spare bedroom, that would be a bit different.

Personally, I like the hotel situation and staying there. When we used to stay with my inlaws, one of them had to move out of their room and I always felt guilty. Plus, the room stank. The hotel situation made all of our lives much easier however my husband was furious at me for awhile.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:42 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,900,329 times
When I visit others, I don't mind a thoughtful, well-stocked guest room. If I'm not close to the hosts, such as with my in-laws, I prefer a hotel because I'm introverted and being "on" all the time is exhausting for me.

We have a guest bedroom and my friends and family are always welcome to use it. I could not stand houseguests without it - again, just too much chaos and togetherness for an introvert like me. When I visit my parents, my dad goes on this kick about air mattresses and sleeping bags all over - "there's plenty of floor space!" he always says. Well, that's just not for me. I personally feel most comfortable with a room to myself, with a door, where I can get dressed in peace or retreat when the day's events just get to be too much, where I can have my suitcase open without feeling that I'm in the way of my hosts. As such, that is how I treat my guests, by giving them their own haven of 200 sq ft to use as they see fit. I make sure the room has:
- lots of flat surfaces available for them to use
- clear access to a power outlet and extension cord
- mirror in the room in case they want to dress or put on makeup in the room.
- extra hooks for towels, coats, or clothes
- empty hamper for their dirty laundry and I always let them know they can run a load of laundry anytime, no matter how small the load
- room-temp bottled waters and candies so if they get hungry/thirsty in the middle of the night they don't have to stumble downstairs in a strange place
- hand lotion and nail files in the nightstands
- is kept pet-free year round, in case of allergies

In the guest bath (shared with my kid) one of the dual sinks is the dedicated guest sink, clean and tidy underneath, stocked with extra soaps, shampoo, hair dryer, toothbrushes and toothpaste, travel size deodorant, lotion, contact lens cases.

I may not LOVE having house guests but you can bet I'll do everything I can to make sure they are as comfortable as possible. I take great pride in trying to make guests feel at home. If they prefer to stay in a hotel I take no offense at all because I know I've made all the reasonable accommodations that I can.

My in-laws are of a different nationality and they came to visit us for two weeks because two weeks is perfectly reasonable to them (short actually - they visit other family members for MONTHS at a time). I was so ready for them to leave after one week. My patience only runs so deep. I can handle a week, tops, even with a guest bedroom.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:43 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,389,787 times
We're OK with occasional house guests staying a day or two (we do have a spare bedroom and also a pullout couch in our basement living area). Two nights is enough, though. Don't expect me to be available all day to entertain you, either (none of our relatives are like that, thankfully).

Old 05-23-2014, 10:50 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,801,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
I'm of the opinion that they should stay at the house during the day but get a hotel to sleep at, whats your opinion? Also what's your age and position in life (married, single, kids) for reference?
Relatives and friends are always invited to stay at my place. I am married.

I have had friends stay for weeks and months at a time, and relatives for months and over a year before, does not bother me or my wife (it is her relatives).

But I do not have the type of friends and relatives that one would call "moochers" or "free-loaders"; I understand many people know these types who would love to take advantage of being a friend or relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships