U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2014, 05:24 AM

32,037 posts, read 32,830,916 times

Advertisements

I would like to thank and remember all the women who were mother figures to me in my life and that includes my aunts, grandmothers and great-grandmothers! Without all of them I wouldn't be who I am today. Besides your own mother of course are there any other mother figures in your life that you would like to remember or honor on Mother's Day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 11:49 AM

5,738 posts, read 3,219,694 times
Happy Mother's Day!

My grandmother, Vivian, was such an incredible lady. My mom was only 17 when she had me, so my grandma became a part time mother to me and I can't express how lucky I am to have had not just one wonderful mother, but two. She was there for me, loved me unconditionally, and she occupies such a huge space in my heart, even though she's not been on this earth for over 20 years now.

She loved lilacs and birds, had jet black hair and ruby red lips, baked the best apple pies and bread, and didn't say "swear words." She would exclaim, "Dirty word!" because my grandfather swore enough for the both of them. She had these cat eye sunglasses with emerald colored lenses that she wore for as long as I could remember. She would buy me turquoise jewelry and Native American dolls, coloring books, and crayons. I remember her drawing out elaborate cities and scenarios for me. We'd lie on her velvet covered bed and she'd draw anything I requested. She claimed to not be an artist, but she was.

My mother is an artist, she and I went to college together. She used to say, "Turn that music off. I want to hear the birds singing." I never understood how someone could prefer birdsong over Van Halen. NOW I DO. I understand where I got my love of nature and art. My mom instilled them in me. She would read Henry David Thoreau. My friends' moms would be discussing soap operas and my mom wouldn't have anything to add to the conversation and it made me happy. :-)
She had major problems with her eyes for many years when I was a child. I hated seeing her in such pain. She recuperated, but then in recent years, started losing her eyesight. She recently had surgery which restored her sight to 20-20 vision. It was something I am very grateful for. I'm fortunate to have a young mother.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:24 AM

32,037 posts, read 32,830,916 times
She wasn't mom, but she loved us:
http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/06/living...html?hpt=hp_c2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or