U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 05:30 PM

2,017 posts, read 1,724,133 times

Advertisements

Yay or Nay?

I did this once, and it was met with indifference. The woman I sent the "Happy Mother's Day" message to has a maternal spirit, and has been a mothering influence to a number of children (relatives and non-relatives). But when I sent her the message it was met with indifference (and even mild contempt) even after I explained myself.

Mind you, she can't have children. So maybe I was wrong, but it was well intentioned...

Should "Happy Mother's Day" messages only be restricted to women who have children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 05:33 PM

24,839 posts, read 29,977,838 times
I sent my BFF a Godmother card before. I've seen cards for "like a mother" before. I think it was probably more her than you. You were obviously well intentioned.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:11 PM

2,725 posts, read 1,681,855 times
If anyone wants to show their appreciation for someone who acts maternal but doesn't actually have children, no matter the reason, I would suggest doing it on any day but Mother's Day, a day that is often fraught with conflicting emotions.

I am not a mom and yet I have received Mother's Day cards from family members who do have kids. I know they mean well, but I do tend to downplay them; you could say I treat them with indifference. In truth, I don't know what to say or do when I receive them. This is because the reason I don't have children was due to a hurtful, emotionally abusive situation between me and my mom, something that my relatives aren't aware of. And I often wish things had been different, so a card on Mother's Day just serves to point out what I missed out on.

Whereas mostly I have made my peace with it, the day when mothers are celebrated is by default the day that de facto most emphasizes my childlessness. I just act indifferent because if I think about it very much, I might start to cry, which would probably upset the giver, who was just trying to do something nice for me.

I understand you were just trying to do something to show this woman how much you think of her. But I would say that if you have an impulse to get a Mother's Day card for a woman who does not have children, pick a different day and different card.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:58 PM

2,017 posts, read 1,724,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
If anyone wants to show their appreciation for someone who acts maternal but doesn't actually have children, no matter the reason, I would suggest doing it on any day but Mother's Day, a day that is often fraught with conflicting emotions.

I am not a mom and yet I have received Mother's Day cards from family members who do have kids. I know they mean well, but I do tend to downplay them; you could say I treat them with indifference. In truth, I don't know what to say or do when I receive them. This is because the reason I don't have children was due to a hurtful, emotionally abusive situation between me and my mom, something that my relatives aren't aware of. And I often wish things had been different, so a card on Mother's Day just serves to point out what I missed out on.

Whereas mostly I have made my peace with it, the day when mothers are celebrated is by default the day that de facto most emphasizes my childlessness. I just act indifferent because if I think about it very much, I might start to cry, which would probably upset the giver, who was just trying to do something nice for me.

I understand you were just trying to do something to show this woman how much you think of her. But I would say that if you have an impulse to get a Mother's Day card for a woman who does not have children, pick a different day and different card.
Thanks for your insight. Wishing you continued resolution...

I dunno... I think it just boils down to what place we're in as childless adults whom would like children, but don't have them ... and the reasons we don't have them and whether that has been fully resolved.

I often get Happy Father's Day messages, although I don't have children, and I've grown to appreciate those messages. When I first started getting them I was taken aback, and responded to a few of them like, "I don't have kids!" lol! Shortly after, I began to appreciate the thought and the effort. To me it's just as much as an honor to be thought of in that way, especially if you aren't a parent.

But yeah, I haven't sent anymore of those messages to "non-mothers" since then. And if I did, it'd be to women who are much older... as in 50s and up whom embrace that role.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:20 AM

19,660 posts, read 19,768,059 times
Maybe Hallmark should start a new line of cards for all the people that have no special day set aside for them.
"Not A Vet or a President or a Mother or a Father or Jesus or a Saint's Day" kind of thing.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:33 AM

5,082 posts, read 5,346,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Maybe Hallmark should start a new line of cards for all the people that have no special day set aside for them.
"Not A Vet or a President or a Mother or a Father or Jesus or a Saint's Day" kind of thing.
It's called a "Thinking of You" card.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:35 AM

5,499 posts, read 5,035,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Yay or Nay?

I did this once, and it was met with indifference. The woman I sent the "Happy Mother's Day" message to has a maternal spirit, and has been a mothering influence to a number of children (relatives and non-relatives). But when I sent her the message it was met with indifference (and even mild contempt) even after I explained myself.

Mind you, she can't have children. So maybe I was wrong, but it was well intentioned...

Should "Happy Mother's Day" messages only be restricted to women who have children?
Uh, yeah. People aren't Mothers for lots of reasons and many women might feel hurt to be reminded of those reasons.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:12 AM

64 posts, read 72,355 times
My mom says "happy mother's day" to me because I am the "mother" of two cats. I find it amusing and wouldn't be angry or sad if a stranger said it to me.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:21 AM

32,037 posts, read 32,836,483 times
She wasn't mom, but she loved us:
http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/06/living...html?hpt=hp_c2

Old 05-12-2014, 09:29 AM

32,037 posts, read 32,836,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Thanks for your insight. Wishing you continued resolution...

I dunno... I think it just boils down to what place we're in as childless adults whom would like children, but don't have them ... and the reasons we don't have them and whether that has been fully resolved.

I often get Happy Father's Day messages, although I don't have children, and I've grown to appreciate those messages. When I first started getting them I was taken aback, and responded to a few of them like, "I don't have kids!" lol! Shortly after, I began to appreciate the thought and the effort. To me it's just as much as an honor to be thought of in that way, especially if you aren't a parent.

But yeah, I haven't sent anymore of those messages to "non-mothers" since then. And if I did, it'd be to women who are much older... as in 50s and up whom embrace that role.
I really think it depends on the woman's herself and her attitude to the fact she is technically not a mother. But some women especially if they are older sisters or aunts have mothering type roles within their families and might be happy to be acknowledged on Mother's Day. My deceased uncle used to continue to take out his aunt (my great-aunt also deceased now) after his mother (my grandmother) died for a Mother's Day brunch as his aunt was childless and used to join the brunch my uncle used to take out his mother too. I know that my great-aunt used to enjoy those Mother's Day brunches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or