Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2014, 09:35 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I'm surprised that anyone educated in science and health would be unfamiliar with Addison's Disease. Are you familiar with Cushing's Disease? The two are often discussed together, as they are both adrenal disorders. In Addison's, the adrenal glands do not produce enough cortisol; Cushing's is the opposite, too much cortisol.

End of medical lecture. You may return to your regularly scheduled program at this time.
I have heard of Cushing's disease. I'm just sayin' not everyone thinks "disease" when they hear the name. It's not like naming a kid hepatitis or herpes!

List of eponymously named diseases - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I certainly don't think "disease" when I hear the names Bart, Benjamin, Bernard, Cori, Donovan, Duke, Duncan, Edward, Gilbert, Hailey, Marie, Roger, etc. yet they are all names of diseases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 11:27 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,418,786 times
My son is in second grade and everyone (but him) has a trend unique name. IF I had a girl she would be named Halo so I do like some "different" names.
When I was a young gothic kid I wanted my child to be called Mystery or Ministry! Ugh! Thank God I had my son much later in life!

Old 09-26-2014, 11:56 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Not to get off topic, but I completely agree with you about celebrity kids. Actor Jason Lee named his son Pilot Inspektor
What? That's terrible.

(It should have been Pilot Inspektor Gadget)

Old 09-26-2014, 01:28 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,672,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I have heard of Cushing's disease. I'm just sayin' not everyone thinks "disease" when they hear the name. It's not like naming a kid hepatitis or herpes!

List of eponymously named diseases - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I certainly don't think "disease" when I hear the names Bart, Benjamin, Bernard, Cori, Donovan, Duke, Duncan, Edward, Gilbert, Hailey, Marie, Roger, etc. yet they are all names of diseases.
I've never heard of any of those diseases either, and I've worked in medical science since the 80's. I'm guessing they are much more uncommon than Addison's or Cushing's.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:30 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,672,434 times
I met someone while vacationing in Utah named Cajun this week. Having lived in Louisiana for a short time, that struck me as interesting.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:36 PM

88,533 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Is it a common, well know disease? I am an educated person, in the fields of science and health, and I've never heard of it. When I hear the name I think of the character from private practice. Not everyone makes the same associations and yours doesn't seem like a common one. Shrug.
Not common, but well-known because President Kennedy had it and it's frequently mentioned in articles about him.

You're right, perceptions vary, and obviously some people hear Addison and think of a little girl. The disease is the first thing I think of when I hear/see it. Or a baby girl with JFK's head, lol.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:01 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,924,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraptree View Post
I knew a girl back in the 90's who was in love with Shaquille O'neal. Named her son Shaq-diesel

In high school. A girl named "Sunshine". Also another name "Sunday"
In middle school I knew a guy named "D*ck" No not richard. The four letter word was his actual name with no middle name. Poor guy was made fun of.

I do call center work so there is plenty of times names I've run across of. Another call center rep named "Tuesday". She never answered the phone with her name. Can't blame her. Had a guy and a woman named "Santa Clause". Also someone with the last name "Superman"

A friend of mine who is a pharmacy tech saw a label once on a bottle name "Harry Dyck" LOL...

Finally I knew a lady with the last name "poor". She had a little girl and had not decided on a name yet. So in the hospital the label on the babys bed said "Poor, baby." People were like what is wrong? Poor baby." Mother was like "Nothings wrong I just haven't decided a name yet and that is my last name!!!!" She got annoyed quickly.
Now that I have met 3 people named Sunshine, I no longer consider it very unusual. They were all different ages too - a 30-something, a teenager, and a baby.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:37 PM

93 posts, read 146,558 times
When I hear an unusual name I don't comment on it, but being in social work i have heard quite a few...

summer hare

future grey

lethal

and malika....pronounced mah-lee-ah-kah. um, no.

there have been many hennessey's and a taquilla (pronounced tequila).

my daughter came home from school today and mentioned a new friend....Courvoisier. I. am. done.

One of my daughters has a very popular name, sophia. i tried to not use it, it is tooo popular but it is so pretty!

Old 10-01-2014, 06:49 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,541,693 times
It's nothing to lose sleep over but I shake my head at some of it, especially when they try to be creative with the spelling of otherwise beautiful names. Jaxson. Alyxandrya. Britni. Leave it alone, folks. Leave it alone.

I met a gal named Shabritney. Poor girl.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:50 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,541,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookybean View Post
When I hear an unusual name I don't comment on it, but being in social work i have heard quite a few...

summer hare

future grey

lethal

and malika....pronounced mah-lee-ah-kah. um, no.

there have been many hennessey's and a taquilla (pronounced tequila).

my daughter came home from school today and mentioned a new friend....Courvoisier. I. am. done.

One of my daughters has a very popular name, sophia. i tried to not use it, it is tooo popular but it is so pretty!
Sophia is SUCH a beautiful name.

Courvousier, Taquilla, Hennessey? Really? LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships