Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 12:48 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
How common is it to not have any friends at all? Is anyone in their 20s or 30s that do not have any friends?
I honestly don't have any "serious friends". These are the ones I'd be close enough to discuss stuff like relationships, sex, marriage, mortgages, personal decisions regarding careers, personal health problems.

I do go out on various social calls set up online and do stuff like gaming, trivia, trying out new restaurants, etc. I know some of them well enough to finally memorized their names, know that they do, their interests, the names of their SO, their pets, and perhaps where they've been a decade ago (e.g. they've always lived here, or moved here from CA 2 years ago).

I've always wondered that were it not for video games, TV, the internet, and other activities that allow you to enjoy yourself alone that would I have been forced to talk with more people, but I highly doubt it. Old habits die hard, and I probably would've been in a similar situation despite the times being different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 06:12 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times
I'm in my 30s and have no friends and never had a girlfriend. I have always been awkward with people and it don't help that I'm stuck in a semi-rural area. It used to bother me a lot in my teens and 20s but as I got older and saw how lousy people can be I much prefer being alone.

I don't really fit in anywhere. My interests always change and come and go so I find it hard to relate to people.

Last edited by s1alker; 05-30-2014 at 06:32 AM..

Old 05-30-2014, 07:17 AM

12 posts, read 18,240 times
I'm 32 and got pregnant at 18 I pretty much lost most friend bcaz we had very different lifestyles. I had the responsibly of being a mom I didn't party or have the average life of a teenager. I also didn't relate to most people who had children bcaz they were just older than I was. Once my daughter got to school I started meeting other children's parents, again all very nice people just most are older than I am. By 10-20 yrs. I keep Intouch with most friends from school yrs, via Facebook but they are all starting there lives and families and now the roles have switched. They have tremendous responsibilities with a few little ones and my child is much other now. There's just not one person besides my husband that I feel is a best friend? I don't feel like I have one single friend in my life that stuck around. I've made effort in the past but it was hard with a baby to make time so I know now my old friends don't have time, bcaz I've been there. I'm not a loner I just chose to put my family first. And I guess over these past 13 yrs I've just given up trying to find friends! It can be lonely at times. Don't get wrong I hang out with neighbors and talk with other kids parents at games and such. But I don't have there numbers or call them. I know for me I'm not this in your face , loud, social person. I hold high standards for the people I let in my life. No drama, drugs, lies, irresponsiblity. People make mistakes no ones perfect I certainly am not. But I just don't need negativity around!

Old 05-30-2014, 08:50 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,687 times
I dont have any real friends, at least not like the ones I had in high school and college. My wife has a couple friends but she only sees them once every two or three months or so. We are both in our early 30's.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:02 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,621,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
I will be 30 in three weeks, and I don't have any friends. Maybe that's more dramatic than is the case.

I made friends while I was in college through activities and organizations, but after I graduated, I left the region and didn't keep in touch because life hadn't turned out as positive or successful as I had planned, and it's been a source of shame and low self esteem for me. So I lost touch with each of them because I don't like when people know I'm doing badly at life, especially when they're doing so well. I do regret it.

I do have one friend that I speak to regularly, but he's more of a pen pal than anything tangible to me.
I'll be 25 in a month. I have a few online friends, but no real friends. I hated where I went to college and didn't feel like I belonged there. I also commuted because I didn't want to be there. I had some friends in grade school, but we all parted ways because of different interests. I hope to be moving to a new state soon and hope to make friends... we'll see.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:37 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,760,530 times
The really sad truth is that friends come and go, in this world...just the way it is, in this modern, constantly-changing world IMO, a person is better off relying for love and emotional support on a long-term (i.e., marriage-minded) girlfriend/boyfriend or wife/husband, than they are or ever could be with friends alone...

Old 05-30-2014, 06:42 PM

377 posts, read 620,021 times
I'm 28, I don't have any friends or anyone I'd call an acquaintance at the moment. Growing up, I've never had anyone I could seriously call a friend. That may sound depressing, but I'm just not the kind of person to have friends. The superficial relationship one has with acquaintances is enough for me.

I have tried once or twice in the past to go beyond acquaintance, but it just never works out. I believe I lack the innate ability to connect with another person, and strangely enough, I'm fine with that.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:01 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,776,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micC View Post
I'd like to have one reason to be proud of myself or my accomplishments, and even if this wasn't something that others could relate to (like being a performing musician), it would at least serve to imbue me with a foundational belief that I'm not worthless, which may be conducive to social confidence.
Surely there's something you do well. Even if you think it's totally useless, I have to ask - what do you do better than most other people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by micC View Post
I think that if I were one of the people in your 'experiment', I would probably have refrained from emailing you. But only because I'm so insecure, I wouldn't have been so presumptuous as to think that I would be one of the select few with whom you'd like to stay in touch. I know that Facebook friends can be 10 a penny, so I wouldn't want to overestimate the strength of our connection. Also, not sure of how I would start the email. I can remember making friends with people in the summer when I've been away working and wishing to stay in contact with them, but not having the courage to offer my email address. One person even discussed staying in touch, but on the last day, she never gave me her email or requested mine, and I couldn't muster the courage to hold her to her offer to stay in touch.
Would you have contacted me back through Facebook?

By stating that I wanted to be in touch with everyone who desired that reciprocally with me, that meant everyone. However, I grant that some people may have felt the same way you felt.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:46 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
Nope,never have really.

I do have a sister in law and 5 sisters,so that is enough.

Older women do not seem to want to be friends with me,and i am 32.
i am mainly referring to coworkers though as most are 55+

Old 05-31-2014, 02:21 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDD82 View Post
I'm 32 and got pregnant at 18 I pretty much lost most friend bcaz we had very different lifestyles. I had the responsibly of being a mom I didn't party or have the average life of a teenager. I also didn't relate to most people who had children bcaz they were just older than I was. Once my daughter got to school I started meeting other children's parents, again all very nice people just most are older than I am. By 10-20 yrs. I keep Intouch with most friends from school yrs, via Facebook but they are all starting there lives and families and now the roles have switched. They have tremendous responsibilities with a few little ones and my child is much other now. There's just not one person besides my husband that I feel is a best friend? I don't feel like I have one single friend in my life that stuck around. I've made effort in the past but it was hard with a baby to make time so I know now my old friends don't have time, bcaz I've been there. I'm not a loner I just chose to put my family first. And I guess over these past 13 yrs I've just given up trying to find friends! It can be lonely at times. Don't get wrong I hang out with neighbors and talk with other kids parents at games and such. But I don't have there numbers or call them. I know for me I'm not this in your face , loud, social person. I hold high standards for the people I let in my life. No drama, drugs, lies, irresponsiblity. People make mistakes no ones perfect I certainly am not. But I just don't need negativity around!
I knew a single mom in her 20s who ended up dating a lot of men in their 30s, since men in their 20s tend to not be interested in women in their 20s with children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships