Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 07:55 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If they did any of this, that means my "please" would be wasted on such a person
to begin with.
Wow...I never thought of a "wasting" of the word please. Again, like civility to others is a precious commodity to be meted out among the select few deemed worthy.

You are more of the "do as I say and not as I do" kinda guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 09:30 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Wow...I never thought of a "wasting" of the word please.
Alrighty.

Quote:
Again, like civility to others is a precious commodity to be meted out among the select few deemed worthy.
Not saying please does not make one less than civil. You're making something out of nothing again.

Quote:
You are more of the "do as I say and not as I do" kinda guy.
Actually, I would expect my son to withhold unnecessary niceties from people who are being loud and obnoxious just as I would do. So...

Old 06-01-2014, 11:33 AM

43 posts, read 41,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille033 View Post
Went to see a movie with my husband tonight and about half way through a child started crying. The parents did nothing! Someone complained and the mother gave the guy an attitude. Seriously?!

This isn't the first time I have had encountered loud/out of control children in public, while the parents do nothing.

Is it an entitlement issue?
Ya think?

Old 06-01-2014, 11:37 AM

43 posts, read 41,352 times
I have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Comcast. Why in the name of satan would I go to a theater? Waste of time and money.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:00 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
I would talk to the manager. I have demanded, and obtained, refunds before. It is absolutely unacceptable. If I have to leave the movie to have a talk with the manager, the movie is already ruined. Honestly, it shouldn't be the movie theaters job, but they are the last line of defense. The parents should have handled, and they failed. Personally, I have little tolerance for adults that fail to handle their responsibilities and cause issues for other people. Hire a baby sitter, or stay at home.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:52 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,423,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
If you did that, you'd get a piece of my mind, that's for sure. You don't get to order my kids around.
Yep, I do. I'm an adult. I'm the default boss of any kid on the planet. If you won't control them, I will. What are you going to do? Call the cops? Go right ahead! That is just comical. You really think that confronting another adult for correcting your kids' bad behavior is the right thing to do? This goes a long way to explaining why kids these days are so awful.

I can't even tell you the number of times I've walked up to kids misbehaving in public and told them to knock it off. They always do. Onlookers are amazed. But you know what? Kids are not the bosses here. Why it's the PARENTS who can't figure this out is beyond me.

Quote:
And ordering kids around like you're a drill sergeant is usually not the most effective method anyway. Show kids some respect and treat them like humans, and when you need them to do something, they'll usually play along. When we need our daughter to lower her voice, we ask her to please do so and explain why. Four times out of five, it works.
Five times out of five, telling a kid what to do rather than asking them as if they are a little prince and the world is their kingdom, works even better. I learned this from my mother, a 40+ year veteran of the Anchorage School District. All day long she deals with little jerks whose parents are like you. Kids don't get to decide if they want to do something or not. If they don't do what they are told, there are consequences. They don't get a platter of options like they are choosing a dessert in a five star restaurant.

I feel for your kids' teachers, as they are probably the only ones in your little Precious Ones' lives who understand that kids don't run the world. And dealing with your kids is likely a nightmare.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:54 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,423,875 times
Quote:
we got stuck with a nasty woman in front of us who glared and sighed over the slightest noise or jostle from our daughter. You have to cut little kids some slack. They're kids, and they're still learning.
OK, I'll sit behind you and kick YOUR seat for four hours and see how tolerant you are.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:16 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1uglymutt View Post
I have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Comcast. Why in the name of satan would I go to a theater? Waste of time and money.
Because you have to wait for say X-Men Days of Future Past, Maleficient to be on PPV or Netfilix and Prime. I'm seeing X-Men on Wednesday for $8.50($7.50 earliest showing discount and a $1.00 service charge for online ordering) Netflix is $10.99 for new customer (like I would be) per month and there is no guarantee when it is on, PPV is $5.99 or so, Prime is what now $99.99 per year (though it includes Free Shipping) and again, there's no guarantee when it is on. Plus I love the theater experience. I watch a movie at home, I'm too tempted to check my phone or surf the web. At a movie theater I don't (if anything I laugh and maybe talk but I try to be as quiet as possible.)

Old 06-01-2014, 03:29 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
Yep, I do. I'm an adult. I'm the default boss of any kid on the planet. If you won't control them, I will. What are you going to do? Call the cops? Go right ahead! That is just comical. You really think that confronting another adult for correcting your kids' bad behavior is the right thing to do? This goes a long way to explaining why kids these days are so awful.
If you don't believe that, read this: It Takes a Village - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia If you as a parent neglect your duty as a parent and don't raise your kid, somebody has to. Too many parents don't care these days to do it and rather be liked than hated by their kids so they act like big brothers/sisters to them instead of mommy or daddy.

Quote:
I can't even tell you the number of times I've walked up to kids misbehaving in public and told them to knock it off. They always do. Onlookers are amazed. But you know what? Kids are not the bosses here. Why it's the PARENTS who can't figure this out is beyond me.
Must be the way you do it, I haven't exactly had the same luck all the time...

Quote:
Five times out of five, telling a kid what to do rather than asking them as if they are a little prince and the world is their kingdom, works even better. I learned this from my mother, a 40+ year veteran of the Anchorage School District. All day long she deals with little jerks whose parents are like you. Kids don't get to decide if they want to do something or not. If they don't do what they are told, there are consequences. They don't get a platter of options like they are choosing a dessert in a five star restaurant.
Refer to my sibling society comments about parents not wanting to be parents.

Quote:
I feel for your kids' teachers, as they are probably the only ones in your little Precious Ones' lives who understand that kids don't run the world. And dealing with your kids is likely a nightmare.
I feel for every teacher not just Adrian71's. They have to deal with projects of bad parents everyday.

Quote:
OK, I'll sit behind you and kick YOUR seat for four hours and see how tolerant you are.
Or sit in front of you and rock my seat back and forth like a nervous puppy. God, I hate when that happens at family movies...

Old 06-01-2014, 03:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:

Wow.

Okie dokie. I guess you told us.

p.s. If you're going through life thinking you are the default boss of every kid on the planet I think we've identified one more special snowflake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships