Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 09:36 AM

50 posts, read 85,641 times

Advertisements

Just when I thought I had seen it all.. today I saw someones breast feeding "selfie". Now I know there are many people that don't like or use Facebook, and that is fine. I do use it mainly to keep in touch with distant relatives and friends (even though I do have past aquaintances on there as well).

I just can't fathom why anyone would post a picture of themselves breast feeding. I think it is tasteless and tacky. I feel that is something that should be kept private, between the parents.

Thoughts?

Old 06-04-2014, 09:46 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
Not that I have any experience with it personally, but it is a very big thing and more and more people are trying to bring more public attention to it. In fact, there is an International La Leche League and my best friend was a member of a local chapter of it and they had meetings mostly with other mothers. Some find it easy others difficult and it also does other things to both the mother and babies bodies a lot of people don't know about. Personally, I'd never post a picture of myself doing it.

LLLI | Home

Old 06-04-2014, 10:17 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
I have no problem looking at selfies of breast feedings. lol

Old 06-04-2014, 10:41 AM

513 posts, read 798,859 times
Someone posting a BFing selfie is showing less skin then some of the other "selfies" I have seen. At least the person BFing is using their body for what it was intended to be used for. There are pictures of people half naked on FB trying to be "sexy", and your complaint is about a mother feeding her child? What if someone was BFing in Public? When I was BFing my daughter it was hard BFing her in public and I was scared of someone saying something so I had to go into the bathroom. 99% of places don't have somewhere for a BFing mother to go, so we are relegated to the dirty bathroom. Imagine trying to feed a hungry child while sitting on a dirty toilet. Our society has so sexualized things that a mother can't feed her child anymore. I Think that is really sad.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:52 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Rep^^. Of all the nonsense that ends up on FB, a picture of a mother feeding her child is a beautifully refreshing sight.

If you don't want to see it, use your control options.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:53 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
This was covered to death (and eventually locked) a couple of months ago:

Breastfeeding selfies?! Yay or Nay?

Old 06-04-2014, 10:57 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,012 times
I breastfeed. I do it in public. I am not a fan of pictures posted - to me, that is making a spectacle. I get that people want acceptance, but are in your face spectacles a way to normalize it? To me, normalizing it is just feeding a hungry baby when it wants to be fed, where it wants to be fed. I think being "in your face" just turns people against normalization.

I live in Canada where BF rates are much higher than the USA, and public BF is the norm. I don't think you'll see as many rallies or selfies here. Babies nurse out in the open, but nobody really cared.

I can see why they do it, but I wonder if more acceptance would come without in-your-face tactics. If everyone just nursed and went along their way without yelling attention to it, would it just go back to being normal?

Old 06-04-2014, 11:45 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille033 View Post
Just when I thought I had seen it all.. today I saw someones breast feeding "selfie". Now I know there are many people that don't like or use Facebook, and that is fine. I do use it mainly to keep in touch with distant relatives and friends (even though I do have past aquaintances on there as well).

I just can't fathom why anyone would post a picture of themselves breast feeding. I think it is tasteless and tacky. I feel that is something that should be kept private, between the parents.

Thoughts?
Women breastfeeding are becoming like other "minority groups" by trying to get it in everyone's face, in my opinion.

Yes we get it, it's a normal function, the cave men did it, blah blah blah.

But I, and my daughter, and my sister-in-law, for some crazy reason, all chose to do it at home in private, and pump for bottles when we went out in public.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:53 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,012 times
I personally would not expect people to use bottles. Normal is normal, which is as intended and without posting it online. Feed hungry baby and be on your way. That's the normality that exists in most places. If women choose to use bottles go for it but an expectation of such is again why so many are in-your-face. Fighting extreme with extreme. Yes, cavemen did it, so do most women today in comparable industrialized countries.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:43 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
I wouldn't find it disgusting, I just find posting a 'selfie BF'ding' stupid, and just trying to make a statement that the majority of this earth doesn't care about.

Really, who cares if you are breastfeeding in public or at home (which I did years ago), but wanting to take a photo of it? Exibitionist comes to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships