Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 03:28 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,780,328 times

Advertisements

do you think online profiles have become a platform for people to show off their travels? When you see a profile that has a huge number of pictures from various travels around the world (not specifically doing any activity but just posing) do you think it is condescending or do you find it impressive?

Also do you believe that someone who has traveled to say 30, 40 or 50 countries have achieved something great? If you think this is nothing special then why do so many people emphasize that they have traveled extensively and support it by posting pictures posing in various exotic locations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 03:38 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
I think you're overthinking it. If a person travels a lot, why would they NOT display pictures from places they've traveled?

I don't see any reason to have a chip on one's shoulder regarding other people's travel habits. I also wouldn't assume that if a person travels quite a bit for work,that they are necessarily getting a full cultural experience, or anything. We are military, and know quite a few people that have extensive travel resumes due to changes of duty station, trainings, deployment, etc. There are definitely people that don't see much that's too far off a base, if at all. There are a lot of people who travel for pleasure and don't see all that much or do all that much of interest in the places they travel, come to that.

There are people who will brag about traveling extensively, whether that's because they want you to know they have the means to do so, or for whatever myriad reasons. But the thing is, if these people weren't being boorish and braggarts about their traveling, they'd be boorish and braggarts about something else, because that's just who they are.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:44 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,780,328 times
well, I mention it is because most people love to travel, it's like most people watch movies. It's a pretty generic hobby, it does not somehow make you stand out in the crowd. If you have visited London, good for you, so have 10000000 other people on the forum. And to visit London these days means driving to the airport, sitting in a plane and getting off at the other end... it's not some intriguing adventure that some people make it out to be.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:51 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
I think it is important to highlight things that are of particular importance to you.

I have traveled. Out of luck, I was born to parents who took me all over the world before I was 10. I lived in a foreign country for 9 years. Then after that, I was able to travel even more extensively as a teen/young adult.
I got to see exotic locales while they were still exotic (not like the whitewashed homogenized world of today).

So I have ZERO interest in travel as a priority now. But my ex, for example, really LOVES travel and would spend
her every last dime and her every last vacation day going all over the world to see places. This brings up a basic
incompatibility that would be a problem if we were to have gotten together for the long haul.

Because on my days off, I am interested in a white sand beach, crystal clear water, ZERO crowds, and a cool drink.

19,369 posts, read 15,217,290 times
I love to see people's travel photos. I've never thought of it as bragging (although I'm sure it could be). It's a way of sharing your likes/interests. And I know travel is a common pleasure for people, but different people can like different places. I haven't traveled a lot myself, but will be doing so a lot more in the future. I'll be sure to post our photos.

16,961 posts, read 17,328,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
well, I mention it is because most people love to travel, it's like most people watch movies. It's a pretty generic hobby, it does not somehow make you stand out in the crowd. If you have visited London, good for you, so have 10000000 other people on the forum. And to visit London these days means driving to the airport, sitting in a plane and getting off at the other end... it's not some intriguing adventure that some people make it out to be.
Do you prefer selfies instead? I would think it would make sense to post pics of that nature, given that's when their camera is used the most. No?

Old 06-04-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think it is important to highlight things that are of particular importance to you.

I have traveled. Out of luck, I was born to parents who took me all over the world before I was 10. I lived in a foreign country for 9 years. Then after that, I was able to travel even more extensively as a teen/young adult.
I got to see exotic locales while they were still exotic (not like the whitewashed homogenized world of today).

So I have ZERO interest in travel as a priority now. But my ex, for example, really LOVES travel and would spend
her every last dime and her every last vacation day going all over the world to see places. This brings up a basic
incompatibility that would be a problem if we were to have gotten together for the long haul.

Because on my days off, I am interested in a white sand beach, crystal clear water, ZERO crowds, and a cool drink.
I'm definitely with you there.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:57 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
well, I mention it is because most people love to travel, it's like most people watch movies. It's a pretty generic hobby, it does not somehow make you stand out in the crowd. If you have visited London, good for you, so have 10000000 other people on the forum.
It kind of seems like you're trying a little hard to be "sooo not impressed." Why?

Quote:
And to visit London these days means driving to the airport, sitting in a plane and getting off at the other end...
As opposed to what? Rowing there in a longboat? Taking a hot air balloon? Snorkling your way up the Thames?

Quote:
it's not some intriguing adventure that some people make it out to be.
From somebody who apparently finds people posting travel pics to be "condescending", the above statement certainly carries a hefty whiff of condescension, itself. Just saying.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:58 PM

By the way, I'll notify the mods that this thread should be moved to a different forum.

EDIT: Unless the OP is referring to online dating profiles specifically??

Last edited by SeaOfGrass; 06-04-2014 at 04:39 PM..

Old 06-04-2014, 04:13 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Does op feel inferior for not having traveled?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships