Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 06:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times

Advertisements

Some of us wanted children, and always knew we wanted. Most of us who wanted them had them. It isn't as if herd opinion decided this for us. We, ourselves, very much wanted to have children. I do not regret having mine--ever.

If you don't want children, then don't have them. If you get nosy questions, a polite but dead ending reply is simply, "Why do you want to know?" I also think the "not that I know of" answer is humorous.

For those who ached to have children, and have not, then I think the "Why do you want to know?" answer should suffice.

I understand that people might not want to have children, and I understand how I felt all those years ago. IMO, both points of view have validity. And it really isn't any other person's business about whether we have/have no children. But I sort of take issue with the idea that those of us who did, have been pressured somehow into it. I don't think you can generalize it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 09:58 PM

701 posts, read 1,690,791 times
I'm not one to get obsessed over gender politics, as a general rule. I don't feel as if I was treated different in my school district, or by my parents, or by my friends for being a girl/woman. But I had a doozy of an experience at my little brother's wedding a couple years ago. Let me preface this by saying that I'm in my late 30s and I have a PhD that I spent my 20s getting. I'm perfectly happy single and childless.

So, anyway, I was at the reception for my brother's wedding when a middle-aged woman walks up to me and asks, "Are you Campion So-and-So?" To which I replied yes. The next words out of her mouth were about how she was the mother of a girl I went to high school with, and how her wonderful daughter was a teacher, she'd been married for x number of years, and had three children: two boys and one girl. And then, "How many children do you have?" No preface, no "what have you been doing with your life... nope, just "How many children do you have?" I wish I'd had the presence of mind to say what my dad suggested I should have said ("Oh, I had ten, but the state took them all away" or "None, I had five miscarriages"), but I was so flabbergasted that I simply replied, "None, I got a PhD instead." The woman quickly made herself scarce after that.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:58 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,351,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
I'm not one to get obsessed over gender politics, as a general rule. I don't feel as if I was treated different in my school district, or by my parents, or by my friends for being a girl/woman. But I had a doozy of an experience at my little brother's wedding a couple years ago. Let me preface this by saying that I'm in my late 30s and I have a PhD that I spent my 20s getting. I'm perfectly happy single and childless.

So, anyway, I was at the reception for my brother's wedding when a middle-aged woman walks up to me and asks, "Are you Campion So-and-So?" To which I replied yes. The next words out of her mouth were about how she was the mother of a girl I went to high school with, and how her wonderful daughter was a teacher, she'd been married for x number of years, and had three children: two boys and one girl. And then, "How many children do you have?" No preface, no "what have you been doing with your life... nope, just "How many children do you have?" I wish I'd had the presence of mind to say what my dad suggested I should have said ("Oh, I had ten, but the state took them all away" or "None, I had five miscarriages"), but I was so flabbergasted that I simply replied, "None, I got a PhD instead." The woman quickly made herself scarce after that.
yeah, i don't care for gender politics myself, but that would have gotten my goat. i would have LOVED to see the expression on her face if you had in fact told her you had ten kids and they got taken away by the state! HAHAHA!

it also occurs to me that with all the crap going on in the world, we should remember that if someone is just wanting to be friendly and chat, let 'em. we need more friendly cab drivers. hell, i had the BEST cab ride of my life the other night, with a guy from nigeria. we started talking about fela kuti (who i have a picture of on my wall as we speak, one of my heroes) and we were practically falling over each other talking about fela. he had even been to his shrine in lagos! when i left he was smiling big and kept saying loudly, "GOD BLESS you sister!" and he never even asked me if i had any kids! hahaha

Old 06-25-2014, 01:00 AM

732 posts, read 968,228 times
I agree with afoigrokerkok's and Djuna's answers--it's nosy people & control freaks who are that rudely intrusive.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:18 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,145 times
Misery loves company. We they find out you don't have kids, they instantly bristle with jealousy. That's my theory anyway. I'm a married man with no kids who lives in an area where large families are the norm. There are times I feel like people think I have a disease or something when they find out!

Old 06-27-2014, 04:15 PM

605 posts, read 1,054,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
I wish I'd had the presence of mind to say what my dad suggested I should have said ("Oh, I had ten, but the state took them all away"
Filing this away for future use. I will report back with my findings if I ever get to use this excellent response.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:31 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,811,449 times
"It's a condition of my parole."

Looks you get are priceless.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:20 PM

701 posts, read 1,096,826 times
I guess as a guy with no interest in children, I never, ever, ever thought of the "crazy cat lady" stereotype. I did think they seemed confident and didn't like to be told what to do with their lives. The hardest part was finding one, which I eventually did.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:40 PM

396 posts, read 1,105,068 times
There are some of us who wanted to have children and have to choke back the tears when people make comments. Next time I think I will just have a total crying fit in front of them and see how they react.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships