Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 04:04 AM

250 posts, read 327,325 times

Advertisements

Many people just expect people to deal with it,but very few know how to deliver it. Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 04:56 AM

11,336 posts, read 9,226,797 times
I do not take it well. It's a form of conflict which I do not like. I had an upbringing that was very negative and constantly critical so I've had more than my share of that.

I'm glad I currently have a job where there is none of that. I should add pointing out a mistake or making a suggestion is not the same. I'm talking more like outright hostility toward another human being.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:47 AM

250 posts, read 327,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I do not take it well. It's a form of conflict which I do not like. I had an upbringing that was very negative and constantly critical so I've had more than my share of that.

I'm glad I currently have a job where there is none of that. I should add pointing out a mistake or making a suggestion is not the same. I'm talking more like outright hostility toward another human being.

I don't take it well either.The form I faced the most is unsolicited criticism,it rubs me the wrong way.I don't mind someone pulling me to the side and in a loving matter rebuke me. That rarely happened though,the majority just open their mouths without any thought on what I thought.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:49 AM

2,729 posts, read 2,687,896 times
It depends how it goes. People need to learn to think things from other perspective. But if it is just picking for fights then I am against it.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:20 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,411,006 times
Make it sound helpful instead of judgmental.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:05 AM

7,582 posts, read 4,127,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albedo View Post
Many people just expect people to deal with it,but very few know how to deliver it. Your thoughts?
I think that people who see the worst in what you do have a tendency to criticize in a very negative way. They have no business doing it.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:18 AM

29,672 posts, read 34,190,182 times
I had a supervisor at work who was awful at criticism. If something wasn't going her way, she'd lash out and insult your work in such a way that wasn't helpful or motivating. My new supervisor is skilled at the "criticism sandwich," in which the problem is layered between positive comments (i.e. "this part is really well done, but you may want to work on that part. Good job overall, though.") It's been a very refreshing change.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:20 AM

3,575 posts, read 4,493,078 times
Give advice with a big smile. And look helpful

Old 08-09-2014, 10:27 AM

5,443 posts, read 4,657,464 times
It should meant to be delivered positively and to help the person do better. Not as to put someone down, humiliate them, or just hurt them.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:30 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,257,470 times
I don't care enough about people to criticize them.
And what they do is their business...if they want to plant something that needs sun
in the shade...I only mention that that plant likes sun...after that, I don't care
what they do.
If they criticize me...and one very immature friend often does, in these left-handed ways,
I just don't hang out with her much anyone...her inner lack of peace is tiring.

But, I agree, smile and seem helpful...and don't make a habit of it...they catch on!!

If they are doing something that REALLY bothers you ... never start the sentence with a, 'You always..or You never...'
Start with the classic..."I feel this when you do that...''
It's the "it's me, not you" approach.

Then, there is the great manipulative way of saying,
"Hey, could you do me a favor?
Would you mind putting that tool over there when you're done...thanks, Bob." Big
smile....then, "What are ya doin' after work?"

Gotta learn the art of finesse and diplomacy....winning friends and influencing people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships