Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 02:10 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
No, Calif.
oh nevermind. Well i would find a smaller church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 03:16 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
[quote=aquietpath;35175784]If you are new to Christianity, you may be under the false impression that all church goers are Christian, and will behave in the way that Jesus commanded. You will be disillusioned.

For many people, attending church is their social outlet, a way to look good to the community, and a way for people to gain prestige and power (if they rise in the ranks).

I sure found this to be true. I have had some painful experiences and have pretty much given up the traditional church route for these reasons.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:28 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
You still drink, so you're an active alcoholic. Now is not the time to be focusing on making friends or finding a Christian man. Now is the time to be working on your recovery. And, imho, you shouldn't be doing at your church. It's called Alcoholics Anonymous for a reason - when you're surrounded by people in your social circle 1) you are less likely to be fully honest and open due to the fact that there are people you know there and 2) you are more likely to be the subject of gossip within your social circle.

How do you know she is an "active alcoholic"? Some people drink to excess and have problems, they cut down on their drinking and the problems go away. It is not always all or nothing. I've known many hard core drinkers that were screwing up their life. Now they drink moderately or lightly and are fine.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:59 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
How do you know she is an "active alcoholic"? Some people drink to excess and have problems, they cut down on their drinking and the problems go away. It is not always all or nothing. I've known many hard core drinkers that were screwing up their life. Now they drink moderately or lightly and are fine.
A "recovery meeting" is for an addict.

I know several formerly hard-drinking people who now just drink moderately. They did not need any meetings to help them get their drinking under control.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
A "recovery meeting" is for an addict.

I know several formerly hard-drinking people who now just drink moderately. They did not need any meetings to help them get their drinking under control.
The OP said she attended a meeting at her church.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:41 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,208 times
You did not give enough details for anyone to give you valid advice. Are you an alcoholic? Also, if not, drinking is not a sin in many churches. Going to bars is not either, but having premarital sex is a sin in pretty much every church. Why do these women know so much about you? If they won't accept you, warts and all, they are not Christian. Instead they are pretending to be something they are not. I would try to find a more accepting church.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:44 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,559,613 times
Thank you OHKY and thinkalot. I too was a little annoyed at his "assumption" and "jump to conclusion" based on the few words I said.

So, more details: The meeting I attended at my church was for Celebrate Recovery, a Christ-centered recovery program.
People go there for many reasons, including codependence, relationship issues, sex addictions, and drugs and alcohol.

Yes, I am going in hopes of receiving help with my addiction to alcohol. Yes, omg, I sat there in a meeting with a group of women and spoke of how I wish to be healed of my addiction and then was busted out by one of them when she got behind me in line at the grocery store after the meeting and there was a six-pack of beer in my cart! How embarrassing!!! And yep, humans being humans, that information could quickly be sent back to everyone at church!

I just figure hey, I'm in a process right now of being shown that I do have a problem and that I do need to address it. Will I quit for good some day soon? I don't know to be honest. Have I stopped doing much of the debauchery associated with it? For the most part. So it is a journey...........

Again, I don't know how much all these women at my church know, but guess what, many of them are in the same Celebrate Recovery meetings! So we all got problems! (bad grammar intended there)

As far as finding a new church, I did consider that, and went and checked another out. Hated it!
Decided mine was just fine.

Based on everyone's responses, I would say my best bet at this point in time is to go to church to seek GOD'S WORD rather than friendships! That is after all the ultimate purpose of church, is it not!

If at some point, I do meet a woman or man I connect with, GREAT! If not, ohhh well.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:50 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Thank you OHKY and thinkalot. I too was a little annoyed at his "assumption" and "jump to conclusion" based on the few words I said.

So, more details: The meeting I attended at my church was for Celebrate Recovery, a Christ-centered recovery program.
People go there for many reasons, including codependence, relationship issues, sex addictions, and drugs and alcohol.

Yes, I am going in hopes of receiving help with my addiction to alcohol. Yes, omg, I sat there in a meeting with a group of women and spoke of how I wish to be healed of my addiction and then was busted out by one of them when she got behind me in line at the grocery store after the meeting and there was a six-pack of beer in my cart! How embarrassing!!! And yep, humans being humans, that information could quickly be sent back to everyone at church!

I just figure hey, I'm in a process right now of being shown that I do have a problem and that I do need to address it. Will I quit for good some day soon? I don't know to be honest. Have I stopped doing much of the debauchery associated with it? For the most part. So it is a journey...........

Again, I don't know how much all these women at my church know, but guess what, many of them are in the same Celebrate Recovery meetings! So we all got problems! (bad grammar intended there)

As far as finding a new church, I did consider that, and went and checked another out. Hated it!
Decided mine was just fine.

Based on everyone's responses, I would say my best bet at this point in time is to go to church to seek GOD'S WORD rather than friendships! That is after all the ultimate purpose of church, is it not!

If at some point, I do meet a woman or man I connect with, GREAT! If not, ohhh well.
This is actually a rather healthy point of view.

Churches are just like any other organization. They will have people with whom you connect and others with whom you will not. However, I think it takes time, not something to be forced. While churches tend to be more communitarian, places where there are more opportunities to connect with others, these bonds still take time to form. I think that your church likely has social outlets and small group meetings where you can build these bonds one conversation at a time. People of all stripes are wary of the full-court press of people wanting to become instant buddies.

The other question is how much of your past life you're revealing. Not necessarily because people will run from you if you do, but rather because you just got into the TMI realm rather quickly.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:07 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,559,613 times
Well I'm going to my church community group tonight. No, not my first time. I am a socializer. I'll have to let you know how tonight's goes, now that I have all this new insight.

Yes, I am a TMIer, but not usually with these people, for surely they would run if they knew half the crap I've done in the past. The people I will be seeing tonight, a few are from Celebrate Recovery (I know some of you are going to say how that's a bit too much of integration there); the rest have just seen me at church and don't know me and I do not share a lot in our group sessions.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:10 PM

I know about Celebrate Recovery, it was not ideal for the given situation I was looking into BUT it could work great for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships