Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 06:51 AM

8 posts, read 6,529 times

Advertisements

I didn't realize everyone would make reference to the idea of "brunch" and the timing of it, as I was using the term loosely, so I just wanted to clarify things. "Brunch" with my friends is typically lunch for others. It usually means us going someplace that has a brunch menu at around midday. Places around here have this "brunch" menu until mid Sunday afternoon. Maybe it's different for us because amongst my group of friends, someone is usually working late the night before, so it's typically been held later. In fact, during the planning, this friend even commented that maybe 10am might be too early. They even suggested a walk-in cafe (which would be flexible in timing and is a place we've done "brunch" at before) nearby all of us, but decided against it for some reason.

Last edited by fasteddie911; 06-12-2014 at 07:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 07:12 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie911 View Post
I didn't realize everyone would make reference to the idea of "brunch" and the timing of it, as I was using the term loosely. Would it have been different if I had suggested lunch? Because that is what "brunch" typically is with my friends. It has meant us going someplace that has a brunch menu at around midday. Places around here have this "brunch" menu until mid Sunday afternoon. Maybe it's different for us because in our work someone is usually working late the night before, so it's typically been held later. In fact, during the planning, this friend even commented that maybe 10am might be too early. They even suggested a walk-in cafe (which would be flexible in timing and is a place we've done "brunch" at before) nearby all of us.
Just try to loosen up, okay? Seriously?..... in all truth, you're a really nice person. You worked late, which screws with your internal clock...and you can get kinda sensitive! Again, how nice that all you had to do, was "suggest" a meal together and someone grabbed the ball and ran with it. That's a GOOD thing! Trust me.....as the momma of 4 and wife of 1, it's damn nice when YOU don't have to be in charge all the time. It's NICE when someone else takes responsibility for something, so you don't HAVE to!

Hang in there....cuz I really do think you're a good and decent person. Just try to remember though, that just because people aren't exactly like you, it doesn't mean there's anything 'wrong" with them....OR you. We're all different, each with our own unique gifts, strengths and weaknesses.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:15 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,183,551 times
It really seems like you are dwelling on this issue way too much. It's too bad it happened the way it did (some of which is on you), but it's over now. Why hang on to resentment? It's not like this was some kind of heartrending evil betrayal your friend(s) did to you. It's time to get over it, or stop being friends with the people involved. It would really be foolish and immature to end a friendship over such a small issue, though. I hope you can just let it go.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:30 AM

670 posts, read 1,044,148 times
Default Overreacting to Social Situation

Yes, I think you are overreacting. Your friends could not reach you so they went ahead and made plans. They did not squeeze you out. They filled you in on the plans, and you could have made it if you wanted to. You chose not to. Could it be that it hurts you that your friends got together without you? Be a good sport, and just be glad that your friends had a nice time together. There will be other times when you can go along.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:12 AM

8 posts, read 6,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
... Just try to remember though, that just because people aren't exactly like you, it doesn't mean there's anything 'wrong" with them....OR you. We're all different, each with our own unique gifts, strengths and weaknesses.
You're absolutely right. It takes time to learn of others strengths, weaknesses, mannerisms, etc. For this particular friend, it has been especially difficult to figure this out, which kind of goes into the backstory of our relationship. In any case, it's on me that I expected one thing from her, but got something else and was disappointed by it. I'm usually pretty even-keeled and accepting, but I was trying to figure out why this particular situation bothered me, especially considering that similar things have happened to me before with other people without any emotional response on my behalf. So from the responses here, it's clear that there is probably more underlying things bothering me about this friend that I still haven't quite figured out, and possibly this particular situation brought it to a head.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:54 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie911 View Post
You're absolutely right. It takes time to learn of others strengths, weaknesses, mannerisms, etc. For this particular friend, it has been especially difficult to figure this out, which kind of goes into the backstory of our relationship. In any case, it's on me that I expected one thing from her, but got something else and was disappointed by it. I'm usually pretty even-keeled and accepting, but I was trying to figure out why this particular situation bothered me, especially considering that similar things have happened to me before with other people without any emotional response on my behalf. So from the responses here, it's clear that there is probably more underlying things bothering me about this friend that I still haven't quite figured out, and possibly this particular situation brought it to a head.
LOL.... I get it. If you're anything like me, one of these days you'll be folding your laundry or taking a shower and BAM! OMG!!!!!! I know what it IS!!!!!! Ta DAAAAA!! Perhaps your friend needs "more friends"...different types of friends....a variety, if you will. Some people are more comfortable with people who are opposite, some with people who only share similar views and hobbies.

Some people have a tremendously varied, eclectic blend of friends, all of whom bring something new and different to the relationship. Personally...that's me! I can't tell you how many times eyebrows have raised, by some friends, when they find out that "certain" people are also my close acquaintances. "I had no iDEA you knew them so well!!!!!" Hey...if you're not MEAN...or awful....I wanna crawl inside and see what makes you tick! Embrace differences fasteddie...it makes for a rich and rewarding life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships