Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 08:25 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
My Dad's Brother's son is getting married this fall. He's 4ish years older than me. Anyways, turns out I was invited to go to the wedding and my parents want me to go.

I live in Chicago, the wedding is on a Friday night in Atlanta... which means taking a vacation day and flying down.

Now I'm 24 and I haven't even seen this cousin since I was maybe 10. And I haven't talked to him since then as well.

Am I crazy to not want to burn a vacation day and pay for a flight to go down to the wedding?
You are not crazy for not wanting to use your vacation day and pay for a flight to Atlanta for the wedding of a cousin you aren't even close to. You haven't spoken to this cousin for fourteen years and haven't seen your uncle for six years. I understand wanting to please your parents, but if you don't feel like going you shouldn't go. It'd be different if you had a deep desire to see your relatives and wanted to use this as an opportunity to reconnect with them, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I think you'll just have to tell your folks you won't be going and live with the fall out. If that sounds too painful you could always say you have to work. It's hard to argue with that one in this economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 08:40 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Hell no, I wouldn't go either. It isn't like this is an immediate family member (Brother, Sister, etc) it is a Cousin you have no real ties or contact with. Plus, you are in Chicago and they are in Atlanta, that isn't like driving across town.

You are an adult now and have the right to say no to your Parents. Simply tell them it would be impossible for you to get away for the wedding but that you will send a gift with them. No one will even know you are missing I bet.

Time to be strong, it is your life and you have to do what is best for you.

Don

Old 06-13-2014, 08:47 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
Quote:
My Dad's Brother's son is getting married this fall. He's 4ish years older than me. Anyways, turns out I was invited to go to the wedding and my parents want me to go.

I live in Chicago, the wedding is on a Friday night in Atlanta... which means taking a vacation day and flying down.

Now I'm 24 and I haven't even seen this cousin since I was maybe 10. And I haven't talked to him since then as well.

Am I crazy to not want to burn a vacation day and pay for a flight to go down to the wedding?
No. I was just forced to go to a cousin wedding and regretted it. 100 for the travel, 250 for the hotel, 100 for the dress and 200 for a gift. That's 750 dollars and two days spent on one boring night of mediocre food and bad music. I'd plead work responsibilities and say no thanks.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:49 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:

I would say if you want to spend a weekend in Atlanta with your parents then go otherwise don't go.
You could use the wedding as the excuse to go, get all of that done and spend the rest of the time enjoying Atlanta and spending time with your parents.

If this is not appealing to you then don't go.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:14 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Is there other family you want to see? You may find it enjoyable when everyone is together. If you truly don't have enough PTO or cash, don't go. Go only of you want to, not to please your parents.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:05 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,485,479 times
Why not? You wouldn't be going for the wedding only. Weddings are a great time to see relatives you haven't seen in years. The most important things in life are relationships (family and friends).

Go, reconnect with family, have fun.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:19 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Why not? You wouldn't be going for the wedding only. Weddings are a great time to see relatives you haven't seen in years. The most important things in life are relationships (family and friends).

Go, reconnect with family, have fun.
if his cousin hasn't bothered to go out of his way to see or talk to him why should he use his vacation time to go? the groom will be too busy with his bride to be too social.

besides many people send out wedding invitations thinking the person isn't going to show anyway. it's more of an announcement than an invitation.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:23 PM

260 posts, read 909,124 times
Quote:
That's pretty much the reason. My dad called me and was said something like "We got an invitation to Ian's wedding on XYZ date, and your invitation was mailed with ours since they didn't know your address"

Me "Oh... uhh, I'm going?"

Dad "We assumed you were"

Me "Uhhh, let's talk about this later"

I've never been really close with most of my extended family. Haven't seen my uncle in probably 6 years and usually only talk at the holidays on the phone.

I mean, it's not a money issue, but it's more of if he sat next to me on a plane, I'm not even sure if I'd recognize him nor realize i'd be related to him kind of thing... so why go?

Family invite. I live about 30 minutes from my parents.
That invite sent to your parents is called an invitation to send a gift.

Last edited by planthappy; 06-13-2014 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: error

Old 06-13-2014, 10:30 PM

30,526 posts, read 16,222,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I would say if you want to spend a weekend in Atlanta with your parents then go otherwise don't go.
You could use the wedding as the excuse to go, get all of that done and spend the rest of the time enjoying Atlanta and spending time with your parents.

If this is not appealing to you then don't go.
That's what I was going to say-I'm wondering if it's your parents' way of trying to spend time with you.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:42 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
sounds like your dad got stuck going, and wants you to go

initially, id say no, but.....

there will be family that are there,,,that will be gone before you know it...id go, and take a lot of pics

its better a wedding today than a few funerals tomorrow- and,,,,you can always say you went to the wedding
as others have wisely said,,,go if you can,,,,and have a good time spending time with your family.

looking back, I wish I had pics of me going to a family wedding when I was 24, so many family members were alive back then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships