Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you ask for funds once promised?
Yes, ask since it was promised 27 52.94%
Do not ask, wait to see if money is offered after the purchase 17 33.33%
Other (please explain what other means to you) 7 13.73%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 12:00 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times

Advertisements

Over the last few years, my parent freely stated on a few occasions, I would be given some money towards a purchase I planned on making eventually. I am close to making that purchase but I am not sure if the offer still stands (parent still has funds, but could have "forgotten" what was said, changed mind, etc). Would it be rude of me to say "remember when you said you were going to give me money towards the item I have been planning on? I am close to doing so, what will you be giving me towards it?" Is that rude or presumptuous? Or do I just make the purchase since I have the funds and see if parent offers some cash after the fact? Keep in mind, I do not know the amount that was going to be given and it would help to know since I may spend more or less if additional funds are available or not. What would you do?

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 06-14-2014 at 12:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 12:18 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,102,653 times
Just make the purchase on your own. Part of becoming an adult is learning to stand on your own two feet. If the parent follows throgh on their offer to contribute, consider if gravy. If they don't, realize you weren't entitled to to in the first place - don't be bitter. Not sure what the purchase is, but congratulations on having he discipline to save for . That's worth more than any amount your parent could have given you. Some people love their whole life and never develop that ability.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:47 AM

4,587 posts, read 4,213,755 times
I would ask them. I don't think its presumptuous at all to do so. Just ask them if the offer still stands and take it from there.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:50 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
You said you have the funds so I am wondering at the time they offered to help did you not have the funds? If you don't ask them will you struggle financially?
I don't think there is anything wrong with asking but I would state it differently. Something like you are thinking of making the purchase but wonder if they were still going to help.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:46 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
Are you still able to help me with this, I know it's been a while since we talked about it?

"I'll pay for it" will be written on my father's tombstone.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:30 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Argh! Voted "other" because I thought I was answering the question in the subject title, rather than the actual question for the poll.

Anyway, no it's not rude at all, provided you do not ask in a rude way. The way you typed it sounds perfectly fine.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:47 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post

Anyway, no it's not rude at all, provided you do not ask in a rude way. The way you typed it sounds perfectly fine.
The only thing I would add is that the "what will you be giving me towards it?" is rather abrupt/rude. Thursday007's response sounds much better!

Old 06-14-2014, 07:35 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
I said other ... I wouldn't directly for the money, I would ask if the offer still stands. It's a minor distinction in wording, but an important one to me.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:41 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,570,934 times
Personally, I think it is not only rude, but presumptuous to assume that your parents are willing to continue to fund your purchases when you are able to provide for yourself. At the time they made the comment perhaps their financial situation was at a place where it would have been no problem. Given the turn of the economy today - and I don't know how long ago the conversation occurred - they may not be in a financial situation right now where they could help out even if they wanted to and maybe that's not something they would want you to know. What if you ask and instead of being honest they dug into their savings or financed it - that might a hardship for them - when you can clearly afford to do it on your own. I would hope you have learned by now that one of the greatest rewards of being a grown up is paying your own way and providing for yourself - with no help. You indicated that not knowing how much money they were talking about would influence your purchase - then why not just purchase what you can afford on your own - and deal with that. If you can't afford it now - then keep saving until you have enough, and stop waiting on them to help fund you. They raised you already - their work is done.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:10 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
At the time they made the comment perhaps their financial situation was at a place where it would have been no problem. Given the turn of the economy today - and I don't know how long ago the conversation occurred - they may not be in a financial situation right now where they could help out even if they wanted to and maybe that's not something they would want you to know. If you can't afford it now - then keep saving until you have enough, and stop waiting on them to help fund you. They raised you already - their work is done.
As I stated above, they are 100% absolutely in a better financial position than back then (still a good one back then which was why the offer was made). And I am in the same financial position as I was back then as well, actually maybe a bit less so at this point.

I am not waiting, I am simply wondering if the offer they suggested still stands? And wondering if it's rude to ask before making the purchase or just wait to see if anything is offered after the purchase. But knowing if they are contributing (as again, they have offered on their own, was not solicited by myself ever in anyway) because it might play into which item I would choose.

LOL. I know their work is done. No where did I imply that I expect anything financially, but I just wondered if it was rude to ask for something repeatedly promised to me on their own free will. That's all.

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 06-14-2014 at 08:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships