Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 10:52 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,604,666 times

Advertisements

He has issues.... beware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 11:01 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
I believe in the old adage that how a man treats his mother is an indication of how he will treat other women in his life.

He might have valid reasons to be disappointed in his mother's decision to remarry, and he might have valid reasons to not want a relationship with her nor want his [future] children to have a relationship with her.

But there's no possible valid reason for him to call her names. That's a deal-breaker.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:29 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I believe in the old adage that how a man treats his mother is an indication of how he will treat other women in his life.
Yep. This can't be emphasized enough and it's too bad that not as many heed it as they should.

My own sister discounted that advice and is now forever linked to that man. Her husband has a lot of anger towards his mother and treats her poorly. His mother is a nice woman, I mean really really nice. My BIL treats his mother with such contempt and condescends her. And its very undeserving. What really hurts my sister the most is that their son treats her the same way and has told her he hates her a lot. My nephew is only 4.5 years old. Children are sponges.

OP, please delay the possible marriage and see if his anger can be helped. If not, you've been forewarned.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:50 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
She said he died in 2004 on another thread. A decade ago. A decade. Ago.
I could see if someone's parent died and a few months later the spouse jumps into a quick marriage that a child (even an adult child) could be upset -----but ten years later! That is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Yep. This can't be emphasized enough and it's too bad that not as many heed it as they should.

My own sister discounted that advice and is now forever linked to that man. Her husband has a lot of anger towards his mother and treats her poorly. His mother is a nice woman, I mean really really nice. My BIL treats his mother with such contempt and condescends her. And its very undeserving. What really hurts my sister the most is that their son treats her the same way and has told her he hates her a lot. My nephew is only 4.5 years old. Children are sponges.

OP, please delay the possible marriage and see if his anger can be helped. If not, you've been forewarned.
As a teacher I have seen this happen a number of times (usually between parents but sometimes between the Dad & his mother), the Dad calls his wife or mother a "Stupid Lazy B*****" and the preschool or kindergarten son calls her the same thing.

Run away from a man who treats his mother badly. Run away.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:06 AM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
What really hurts my sister the most is that their son treats her the same way and has told her he hates her a lot. My nephew is only 4.5 years old. Children are sponges.
Why on earth would your sister allow her 4.5 year old son to treat her that way? By allowing it, your sister is teaching her son that it's OK to disrespect her and that she, and perhaps any female in his life, is not worthy of respect.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:57 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
No, not normal. Of course there would be a lot of empotions involved, but a menatally and emotionally healthy person would accept that time has pased, life goes on, and mom deserves to be happy.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:26 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA chick View Post
My boyfriend's turned on his mom for remarrying. His dad was killed in Iraq. He now refers to his mother as a ***** and talk about how she's never going to see her grandchildren. Is this normal?
This guy is irrational. Unless, the mother was having an affair with the new H while the dad was serving in Iraq. In this instance I would be upset too.

If my father of mother married someone else i would be very upset, unless the cause of remarriage was because they are widows. I suspect the mother of this man was unfaithful to her H.

Last edited by Julian658; 06-20-2014 at 11:25 AM..

Old 06-20-2014, 11:20 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
This guy is irrational. Unless, the mother was having an affair with the new H while the dad was serving in Iraq. In this instance I would be upset too.

If my father of mother married someone else i would be very upset, unless the cause of remarriage was because they are no widows. I suspect the mother of this man was unfaithful to her H.
So, she finally married him a decade later. That's ten years later. Ten years. Sure, that makes sense. I also suspect she shoplifts carrots at Walmart because.....well, because.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:51 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,063 times
It is much more normal for a teen to turn on their parents when they are unhappy about having a stepparent have authority over them.

Much less common for adults.

My dad remarried when I was 22 (parents divorced). I didn't like her, but I didn't turn on him. I would be VERY cautious with someone who seems unable to accept that his parent has a life outside of being his mother. That either shows a tremendous lack of empathy or a flawed thinking about the woman's role in a marriage/parenting. Or, he has a flawed idea of what marriage and love really are.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:34 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
It is much more normal for a teen to turn on their parents when they are unhappy about having a stepparent have authority over them.

Much less common for adults.

My dad remarried when I was 22 (parents divorced). I didn't like her, but I didn't turn on him. I would be VERY cautious with someone who seems unable to accept that his parent has a life outside of being his mother. That either shows a tremendous lack of empathy or a flawed thinking about the woman's role in a marriage/parenting. Or, he has a flawed idea of what marriage and love really are.
Post of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships