Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 09:31 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times

Advertisements

I think it's important to distinguish between friends and acquaintances. They're probably drowning in acquaintances, but I don't think they necessarily have more friends. In fact, I've read/seen a number of interviews with celebs and business leaders who have said that their position makes it difficult to have many true genuine friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 09:34 AM

705 posts, read 1,260,162 times
Depends on what your definition of "friend" is. People confuse acquaintances with friends.

I find it to be the opposite, the higher up you are the less friends you have. You might be surrounded by more people but you have to ask yourself what their intentions are.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:37 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
Depends on what your definition of "friend" is. People confuse acquaintances with friends.

I find it to be the opposite, the higher up you are the less friends you have. You might be surrounded by more people but you have to ask yourself what their intentions are.
True they may not be real friends because they want to be with you for status, money or because they can help you in some way. But how many of the friends of middle class or poor people are really true friends anyway?

What I was getting at is wealthy and very successful people in general have lots of social contacts and opportunities to be with people who will hang on their every word, laugh at their jokes (even if they are not funny) and have people defer and treat them with respect.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:42 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
True they may not be real friends because they want to be with you for status, money or because they can help you in some way. But how many of the friends of middle class or poor people are really true friends anyway?

What I was getting at is wealthy and very successful people in general have lots of social contacts and opportunities to be with people who will hang on their every word, laugh at their jokes (even if they are not funny) and have people defer and treat them with respect.
And..?

Old 06-24-2014, 09:48 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
There is a BIG difference between "being friendly", and actually having "good friends".

Old 06-24-2014, 09:52 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
^^^ This. While they may be popular, most wealthy people only have a few select friends and family that can be trusted. They keep their cards close to their chest.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:59 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Respect is earned. So if these businessman get it, then they are doing something right.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:21 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
They haven't become successful by being stupid. I think they tend to make friends with those who are equally successful and share the same lifestyle.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:15 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,605 times
I don't think this is necessarily the case... but on a more personal level... my brother is very wealthy and we have a lot of the same friends. However, most of them too are very wealthy and anytime there's a "guys weekend" planned or trips planned for everyone to get together I'm always the odd ball out. Because these get togethers are in Vegas.. or New Orleans.. or golf in Myrtle Beach... and one coming up is one of our buddies bachelor party is coming up and that's in the Bahamas.

I can never afford these things and so I miss out a lot on being with these guys... they're still my friends but it's not the same since college of course. So yeah this is a situation where having money and wealth certainly benefits.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:23 PM

624 posts, read 763,177 times
The more money you have, the more you can afford to socialize. Wealthy people tend to throw parties for no reason other than to gather friends and/or family together. Offering up free booze n food will make anyone popular
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships