Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 08:01 AM

589 posts, read 696,209 times

Advertisements

It's hard to say.

Snobbishness is often confused with refusing to follow the crowd and do what everyone else is doing. People who feel this way are the ones putting on a mask and expect you to do the same.

An actual snob is someone who pretends their preferences make them better than everyone else. They can't just say "I don't like ice cream." They have to imply that not liking it somehow makes them better than you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 08:17 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonLadie View Post
I was out with a group of women on Saturday night and someone told me a few of the other women thought I was snobby.

I don't understand why they would say this. I consider myself a pretty friendly person. Maybe they say that because of the way I dressed or my lifestyle..

I always thought a snob was someone that thought they were better then others..
I think you should ask your friend why the others thought that. Trust me, they will have told her and she will have either joined in or defended you. She's in a much better position to tell you than anyone on here. Then, you can decide to either change your interactions or get a new group of friends who see things like you do.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:45 AM

850 posts, read 1,026,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
It's not about how much money you have, or how you dress etc, but rather thinking you're better than regular people because of it.

Only thing I'm a snob about is beer.
What's the difference between a beer snob and a beer lover?

A beer snob won't drink coors lite if that's all that's left.

A beer lover (s)will...

Old 06-24-2014, 09:27 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostoneunturned View Post
I have been told this too. It's because I am an introvert, and I take my time warming up to people. I try to be smiley, and friendly, yet, because I am not over the top gregarious some have assumed I think I am better then them. I am who I am, I know I'm not stuck up, so I no longer worry about it. Let it go, they don't sound like real super cats themselves.
I can understand what you mean. When I was young I was VERY shy. I would always say hello and
smile but being so shy I didn't talk much. So, some people thought I was a snob or a beotch.
As for someone being a snob, the definitions below sums it up. And, I'll include continually
mentioning hoity toity name brands.

Snob - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Snob - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-24-2014, 09:51 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostoneunturned View Post
I have been told this too. It's because I am an introvert, and I take my time warming up to people. I try to be smiley, and friendly, yet, because I am not over the top gregarious some have assumed I think I am better then them. I am who I am, I know I'm not stuck up, so I no longer worry about it. Let it go, they don't sound like real super cats themselves.
In my younger years I was considered "snobbish" by my in-laws or so I was told. I was young, introverted and bookish. I can't/couldn't tell jokes but appreciate a good joke teller and I have a great sense of humor but not for trashy humor. Sexual innuendo and aggressive behavior frightened me.

50 years later, I am more jaded and tougher and minus those in-laws. But it was tough back then becoming someone else. What is sort of ironic/funny is that my now deceased but current in-laws considered me somewhat beneath my current husband of over 20 years.......

Oh. well.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:08 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
It's hard to say.

Snobbishness is often confused with refusing to follow the crowd and do what everyone else is doing. People who feel this way are the ones putting on a mask and expect you to do the same.

An actual snob is someone who pretends their preferences make them better than everyone else. They can't just say "I don't like ice cream." They have to imply that not liking it somehow makes them better than you.
This is excellent, and I agree.

I think 'snob' is often a go-to term some people use when they themselves are uncomfortable with a person in their midst who is just different or god forbid, well-rounded.

These people have an inflated sense of just how interesting and important their own lives/preferences are and can't imagine that something different can be just as important or exciting or worthwhile.

For example, the housewife coffee klatch, the football fan couch potatoes, these are just two examples of social groups that frankly aren't all that special or important (but there's nothing 'wrong' with them) but at times are not friendly to people that don't fit the mold. And these people get branded as 'snobs,' when they're likely just not into doing the same things over and over again.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:40 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
It's hard to say.

Yes....or nothing less than eating the most expensive brand is satisfactory.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:52 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,840 times
I often find that accusations of snobbery reveal far more about the accuser than the accused.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:26 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,970 times
Quote:
I'm a little shy at first, these women weren't.
This is probably it. I'm quiet when I meet new people and have heard on more than one occasion that the other people thought I was snobbish or stuck up because I "wouldn't" talk to them. I was astonished that this would make them think I was a snob instead of just quiet or shy.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:53 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Your words make you a snob. Dress and lifestyle have nothing to do with it.
That should be true, but unfortunately some folks DO judge based on outer appearance, where you live, material possessions, etc. When I first bought my "new" car, for example, one of my colleagues saw it and declared "ooh, faaaaancy." It's a BMW, but also happens to be 12 years old w/ 110K miles, and purchased off my sister for only $8K. And I didn't buy it to impress anyone, I bought it because my Honda died and I couldn't afford anything newer (plus she just happened to be getting ready to sell the Beemer).

So even if you don't present yourself as being superior, sometimes the snobby label is thrown at you simply for existing in a certain manner. I also get this when people ask where my father lives, as the town is known for its expensive properties... but like another poster said earlier in the thread, hey, YOU ASKED!! I never say "my father is special because he lives in xxxx," but if you ask I will answer honestly. Actually, I've started giving a more generic response (like "the Peninsula") simply to avoid these judgments. Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships