U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 07:30 AM

419 posts, read 1,841,303 times

Advertisements

In the movie's every one is so interesting and fun. In real life I suspect many of us have chosen friends because they are available to us not because they are the best people in the world. It reminds me of my friends in college. Many were friends because they lived next door in the dorm or shared common friends, etc. These were friends of convenience, after we graduated we really did not have much in common.

Many people I talk to wish they could meet better friends but have not been successful meeting people that they have good chemistry with. How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 10:02 AM

4,739 posts, read 7,535,686 times
Honestly my friends are all very interesting for differant reasons, some are very successful, some are slightly unstable...lol, I don't choose friends the same way I would a mate, my wife is the same way, their interesting just not someone you would always recommend to anyone.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:43 AM

13,092 posts, read 13,614,173 times
There has to be something in it for me when I spend time with people or else I just feel like I've wated my time. Typically the people I enjoy spending time with the most are through some common interest we both share. There are my dancing friends, and we have that passion in common, but I don't talk about god and spirituality with them. Then there are a couple other friends I hang out with because we do art together and that feeds that part of myself. And a couple other people I can talk about spirituality and god and meaning of life kinds of things. When I try to get it all in one person, which I used to do with a "best friend" or group of friends, I felt more disappointed in people. Now that I go to certain people for certain things, I feel more fulfilled, and less demanding. I have a really low tolerance for just superficial (to me) hanging out, so my rule of thumb is if I have a better time by myself, than with this person or people, I don't hang out with them.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-17-2007 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: SPELLING

Old 12-17-2007, 11:01 AM

5,081 posts, read 12,914,391 times
Maybe it's just me, but some of those discussions of "friends and friendship" seem somewhat self-involved, motivated by self gratification, and lack those special elements that create true friendships.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:55 PM

5,000 posts, read 14,405,319 times
I have friends that I've been friends with for over 30 years. I don't think there's one friend that is more interesting than the other. They are all unique...just as I am.

I like my group of friends and don't currently seek any new ones. But if I meet someone and we seem to have something in common, I'd for sure welcome another friend.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:11 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,914,083 times
Default Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I have friends that I've been friends with for over 30 years. I don't think there's one friend that is more interesting than the other. They are all unique...just as I am.

I like my group of friends and don't currently seek any new ones. But if I meet someone and we seem to have something in common, I'd for sure welcome another friend.
Like you, I have been blessed w/ a wonderful group of supportive friends. It didn't happen overnite . . . but the relationships have lasted for decades . . . However, like you, Eggalegga, there is always room for someone else.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:53 PM

1,670 posts, read 5,791,876 times
Friends are like a put in your life at different levels. I have some very close and intimate ones who share everything. There are those who you speak with occasionally; those who you only like to go out with socially because they function better in those places. Those friends are not invited to your professional gathering because they are unable to function. My best friend and I have been friends over 25 years and will always be friends. Friends are like a class picture, they are position either close or futher away from you depending on your friendship. However, each of these friends provide a value to you. At different stages in your life you change their position in the class picture, some may even be eliminated on photo day. New friends enter and exit at each grade level.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:34 AM

30 posts, read 88,202 times
Yes and No.

Most of my friends and I are very close and very much alike. Then a select few are dull and boring ( note: we don't stay friends for every long.)

Old 12-20-2007, 07:42 AM

3,402 posts, read 12,195,062 times
I don't have any friends.

If I did, I'd be very satisfied with them though.

Last edited by Marylandkitten; 12-20-2007 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: I have lots of CD Land friend though! *hugs* guys!

Old 12-20-2007, 07:55 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,229,173 times
My friends are a g-damn riot. Seriously. I rarely go a day without speaking to my 2 best friends (my best female friend since we were 10, my best male friend since senior year of high school). And because of these 2 amazing people, I rarely go a day without: having a deep, meaningful, insightful converstation; and laughing my a$$ off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships