Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you a member of your local NextDoor community?
Of course, how else can I stay up to date? 45 45.00%
No, I am not a joiner. 44 44.00%
Now I am thinking about it. 11 11.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 04:16 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times

Advertisements

I like NextDoor for my neighborhood. No gossip. Mostly lost pets, tradesmen referrals, selling. One person kept talking about politics and she left since everyone started to ignore her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 10:14 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Never heard of that and I don't have neighbors, so guess not.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:18 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Lol...yes.

Im in Chicago. This is some of my neighbors posting

"Please be careful. I saw coyotes on the train tracks at Carmen and Lavergne. Please watch yourself and your pets."

"700 block of Marmora at 1:07am Saturday Morning 1/13/18 video camera caught a man in jeans and light hoodie checking for unlocked cars. He took a garage remote from one car and robbed the owner's garage. Has been reported to police."

"A number 1 800 847 2911 just called me promising to lower my credit card interest rates. He started asking personal information about my cards and I told him I wasn’t comfortable giving him this information. Turns out after I googled the number it’s a scam - these people get your info and then use your credit cards!
Company - credit services
Name - Mike Benz
ID #- mb7806
Phone number- 1800-847-2911"

"I have notified the police.
at 3pm Wed 11.29, I saw 2 guys walking down Manton Avenue (5900 block) with badges around their neck, they have no clipboards, nothing else, they're going up to rental units and houses that are marked for sale ringing the doorbell, waiting a minute or so, moving on.
Wandering down the street casing houses .
Both wearing navy jackets with a patch that says 'power' on it . And knitted beanies."

Old 01-13-2018, 11:48 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
This time of year the neighborhood gems are mostly people complaining about city corruption because the lightly traveled side street they live on isn't completely plowed and dry less than 12 hours after a winter storm that dumped ice and several inches of snow.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:02 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Around here, it's coyotes. Nonstop coyotes. No kidding. Newsflash: we live in coyote country, nimwits. Oh, and chickens and trucks. Don't ask.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:54 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Never heard of it, if it costs me to join then I have to presume it's a money making venture for someone and the only someone I'm making money for is me.

If I want to know what's going on in my neighborhood or surrounding neighborhoods, I talk to people who are in-the-know.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:15 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Never heard of it, if it costs me to join then I have to presume it's a money making venture for someone and the only someone I'm making money for is me.

If I want to know what's going on in my neighborhood or surrounding neighborhoods, I talk to people who are in-the-know.
It's free. You can only be a member if you prove that you actually address. That's pretty much how they sort out the trolls. Your address is private to you only. You can join by providing your address, they mail you a post card with a code that you enter in on the website. That's all. You can also enter in a credit card to prove your address. That way you don't have to wait for a code.
Again. It's for proof of address only. This is not a for profit site or anything like that. I use it for shopping ( like craigslist ) but much less risky than craigslist. I also use it for neighborhood tips, crime stats, warning about potential criminal activity. It's great. I live in a busy area and don't really talk to my neighbors so it works good for me.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:37 PM

924 posts, read 751,852 times
I'm a member of my neighborhood's NextDoor, and would have to say it's mostly advertising for yard sales or lost/found pets. Have to say I'm tempted though, to make a post asking what people in my neighborhood burn in their fireplaces/fire pits. (Whatever it is, it smells like a combination of burnt popcorn, wet paper, rotting wood, and mulch.)

Old 01-14-2018, 02:56 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Ha Ha...........I checked it out and it was pretty funny.

Most recent posts are about dramatic increases in water bills and not being able to get a straight answer from the Water Dept. Mayor's wife is on mine and she keeps telling people to call her husband.....that its his job to get them answers. Boy howdy.....he must love her lol.

Then there's the retired LEO berating a woman for asking if anyone knows why the sheriff's chopper is flying and circling the neighborhood. Asking her why she thinks she's entitled to know right away lol. I mean the obvious answer is the same as it always is......they have a perp running and are using the dogs/chopper to hunt them down.

That turned into criticizing the new sheriff who likes to put the chopper up proactively to look for suspicious activity or start the hunt faster lol. He is a bit of a grandstanding cowboy, but he's tackling things that need to be tackled so good for him. That critique really set the LEO off!

Funny stuff.

It looked useful for finding service people and reviews of new restaurants, but I already have sources for that info so not sure how often I would use it.

The lost pets seemed to have quite a few more happy endings than other places. Perhaps because its a more tightly defined area than the whole town.

That being said, the "neighborhood" they gave me seems a bit arbitrary. On one side they have a hot political thing going over developers expanding an already large/dense neighborhood as well as putting an auto mall on the other side of it. I'm sure they are fighting a losing battle and as others hysterically pointed out to them their development is the original cause of overdevlopment/congestion changing the town!

In any case, not our issue on this side of the neighborhood and these people really aren't even our neighbors as we are separated by a 6 lane state highway.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:01 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Oh I forgot the funniest one of all.

Someone posted a pic of a grandmotherly looking woman saying she came to their door acted suspiciously and then turned around and left.

A few posts later, someone else posted, "Don't worry. We know her. She went to the wrong house."

I dunno. Every once in a while someone comes to the door who spooks me.......I just don't answer. And, if I was really concerned I would call the cops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships