Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 11:17 AM

728 posts, read 1,676,402 times

Advertisements

I've skipped the last three or so reunions. The fifth reunion, back in 1994, no way, no how was I going to that. I still lived at home, finally got serious about getting a degree, but I was spinning the wheels at 22 years old. In 99 I was on active duty, so my tenth reunion was not really an option then. Toyed with the notion of going to my 20th a few years ago, but with Facebook and other social media, I kind of lived vicariously through the pics. Our class recently had a small informal get together for the 25th, and, wow, I didn't realize half of them. Some looked like they were ready to draw retirement at age 43, while some looked as obnoxious as they did a quarter of a century ago.

As much as I would like to go and catch up with a few people that I enjoyed in my teen years, high school was absolutely brutal for me. More than most, I would propose. From my Junior year and into graduation, I suffered from horrible cystic acne. I'm not talking about a few pimples and a rough complexion. I'm talking all out nuclear assault of reddened cysts, boils and deep scars. I must have had the worst case of acne in not the school, but the state. Being it was the 1980's and dermatologists were unsure about Accutane, my MD did not treat me with it, so I was stuck with antibiotics, and sulfa cream that stunk and left reddened peels on my face.

Needless to say, I was a big time pariah. The teen years are already brutal as we all have to figure out how to socialize and form bonds. A few people took to me and we formed friendships from school, but I was rarely invited out to social settings. I did find a girlfriend, so I did the whole prom and dating thing my senior year, but I was pretty much shunned and rejected by people by and large. Hell, even today, I still think of the wannabe jock that humiliated me in English class one day by calling me Freddy Krueger. That didn't hurt as much as looking around the room and watching everyone laugh. Not one person appeared to have any empathy. So, yeah, teens suck at that age.

Twenty five years later, the scars have long faded, but they are still there and noticeable at times. A long the way, I served our country, attracted and married an attractive woman, in process of raising kids and work as an RN for Veterans Affairs. I'm proud of what I've accomplished. And, although not a glamour job, I'm honored to be working for our country's veterans. I may not make triple digit income, but to serve those who sacrificed so much is a rewarding experience in life. That said, I still suffer from the crap I endured growing up, I still look at people and wonder if they see Freddy Krueger. Although so much more confident in myself, I tend to still coach myself to keep my head up and push on.

So why would I go back? I'm curious to see how some that I actually liked turned out. Maybe i want to show the jerk offs from my class that I survived and are doing well. And then a part of me wonders if I need to go to one for closure. Maybe i want to go back and visit where I started and how I made it so far, despite having to endure mistreatment from some pretty rude and thoughtless people.

Am I crazy for thinking this? Would you guys and gals go, or would you just close the chapter on this part of your life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 11:21 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times
Nope, aside from the fact that I live 1500 miles away, it doesn't make sense. With social media its very easy to stay in touch with everybody. The whole point is to go back and see those you havnt seen in years.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:22 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
No interest.

I was dragged to my 10th by a now former friend. I did not have a good time.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:26 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Absolutely not. I want to completely forget HS. One day, I'm gonna get up enough nerve to move FURTHER from my old HS in Southern VA. I will NEVER even consider going to a reunion and I never want to see those terrorists I went to HS with again.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:27 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,566 times
Well, I don't know what the people in your high school are like. And remember, not all go to reunions. We have kind of a core group that attend ours. They tend to be the nicest people, but not the ones who were most popular. Many years ago at one of our early reunions, a couple of the jerk jocks attended, and they hung out at the bar all night acting like idiots, and everyone ignored them - they became the pariahs. I do remember the poor kids with bad acne or other issues that made them sort of unpopular. We didn't have lot of torment and bullying and going on, though - it was just obviously hard for anyone to go through high school like that, even if no one said anything. In past reunions, at least one formerly unpopular or unnoticed person has usually shown up, obviously feeling good about themselves, and had a great time. They were outgoing and happy and everyone was really glad to actually "meet" them for the first time, in a way. Many of the former A-listers regretted aloud that the high school class system kept them from getting to know these obviously really cool people. So I'd say if you have a great attitude and really want to spend time with these people, then go. You might have a lot of fun. If your classmates are still jerks, or if you just want to get some kind of "revenge," then skip it.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:29 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
I may be different than most people, but I've never had any desire to re-live the past, especially high school. No bad experiences there, just doesn't interest me & never has. So the answer would be no.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:30 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
nope, never been to any of my reunions, never had any interest in going.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:35 AM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
My 40th was the most fun!

Old 07-01-2014, 12:04 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I may go to my tenth this year. There are a few people that I'd like to see.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:10 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
nope, even though I was in with the incrowd, didn't like the way they treated and talked about others....
and
I went to the first two and nothing had changed, I remember one gal walking in and the gals that were standing around me, started talking about her....never will go again...
makes ya wonder what they said when I wasn't around, yanno?
Nope, small town concepts, small town minds....
Hey look at me, I'm rich...? Polize.....

The people that are to be admired, are those who are rich but never ever flaunt it....and don't berate others...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships