Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 11:35 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Thank goodness Im not alone on this.....to me its like uninvited guests...I dont mind family or something of importance to be talked over but not hour long chats about nothing..
I'm with you, I hate the sound of my phone ringing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 12:14 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
I am not, and outside of my teen years, have never been a "chatty" person.... Small talk and constant observations and updates on life's minutiae are painful for me.... don't get me wrong, I keep up with the people important to me.... but to just sit and chat for extended periods of time is something I just can't and don't want to do.....

and yes, I have had people in my life who don't understand why I don't just pick up the phone to talk.... how many ways can I tell them that yes, life is still just going to work and coming home to take care of dogs and doing rescue transport on the weekend.... If there IS something to report, that takes, all of what.... two minutes?? and then what??

Old 07-07-2014, 01:21 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
My cell is off most times. Like texts better, at least I can read and delete!

Old 07-08-2014, 01:12 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Nobody hates phones more than I do. That's because phones have been a major part of my career for almost 30 years, so when I leave the job I don't want to go near one. I very rarely call people to chat and am not good at returning personal calls either.

But I do have a landline with an answering machine so that I can screen calls. My cell phone was purchased for emergency use. The only person I ever call with regularity is my husband. Mine's a dinosaur flip-phone and it's all I need. I don't text and I don't need pictures and bells 'n' whistles.

I grew up during the party line era. It was a pain in the butt but eavesdropping could get interesting at times. LOL!!!

Old 07-08-2014, 07:37 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I worked in call centers for several years. Other than personal calls, I absolutely despise phone calls.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:54 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
I love it when people call me. It doesn't happen often enough, sadly.

It's a compliment that I have a friend who wants to talk to me.

I rarely get phone calls from people I do not know.

I'd rather call someone than text. Probably sent maybe 10-15 texts in my life.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:00 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I worked in call centers for several years. Other than personal calls, I absolutely despise phone calls.
It doesn't appear you were cut out for the job.

I worked two federal government contracts in call centers (medical related) and I enjoyed it for the most part.
No way did it turn me against the phone.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:52 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,935 times
I leave my cell phone turned off at home and dont answer my home phone without screening every call, I dont like random calls, especially from tele-marketers, the cable tv company trying to sell you something, etc

it feels like an intrusion getting too many phone calls, also thieves do this to see if your home before breaking in your house if they have your number, they can call just to see if anybody is in the house.

so I screen my calls for security and privacy, people I expect a call from will leave a messege or call at a certain time.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:03 AM

898 posts, read 937,747 times
Most smartphones today have features built in where you can block calls from a specific number or during a specific time. Personally, I don't know what I'd do without my phone. It allows me to find places, it allows me to compare pricing when I'm shopping, it allows me to check reviews while I'm shopping, it allows me to listen to music or podcasts while I'm out and about, it allows me to be in constant contact with any individual I know if needed.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:30 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
I don't like talking on the phone. I don't like to hear it ring either, it feels like an intrusion. I prefer face to face, e-mail or text. A handwritten letter is also cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships