Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 10:41 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
My mother hates cooking, and also does not like it when other people cook. She would greatly prefer to just go to a restaurant every day, or get premade foods. If someone must cook, for example baking cookies, it should be from some sort of mix or pre made dough.

It goes so far as she gets angry when my sister or I cook things from scratch. It is my grandfather's birthday today. My sister was going to go over to my mom's house to bake cupcakes and it caused a giant fight with my sister calling me in tears. I cook most of my food from scratch, but stopped bothering cooking anything for my parents a long time ago as I never got anything besides rude comments about it.

Sometimes I find this odd as it seems like you always hear the stereotype of "mom's great cooking" or her special recipe. This is not the case in my family.

I wonder if this is some sort of 1960s era women's lib thing where cooking was seen as something stay at home moms do and not for the modern woman. Maybe many women of her age (60) feel the same way?

Do you have parents or someone you know who are anti-cooking?
Sorry to say, but your mother is a weirdo. And a controlling one at that.

Eating out every meal is expensive. Does she ever realize that? I can put together three dinners for my family for less than one outing to a moderately-priced restaurant. As much as I like a good restaurant, I prefer to not blow it simply because I'm too lazy to plan and cook meals. Mind you, as a busy professional, I don't have the time to cook from scratch. But I can pretty much throw together dinner in less than an hour, especially if I've mapped out the week.

Not only that, but eating out is not terribly healthy, especially if you're frequenting Burger Barn. Lots of obese people out there because the drive-through is more expedient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 10:42 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I didn't want to be there either. My husband is cheap and didn't want to pay for a motel. His mom needed a stove so she'd quit having to call the fire department, we needed a place to stay for a few days, he figured he'd take care of both issues at once.

I don't think the cooking mess was her issue...there were piles of dirt and dead bugs everywhere in her house, we woke up with bedbug bites, we had to take allergy pills because our eyes were watering and noses running the whole time we were there, and her house smells like mice although of course I didn't investigate the piles of clothes and old junk (the piles were as tall as me) to see if there were mice. In the midst of such filth, what's a little bit of veggie peelings in the trash can? I had taken disposable plates and utensils along to make cleanup easier and so I'd know we were eating off of something clean.

She was weird about cooking at my house too...she stayed with my kids overnight while I had surgery this past spring, and I prepared meals and left them in the fridge with sticky notes about how long to microwave them, and she didn't let the kids eat any of that. She said it was because she didn't know how to use my microwave. (the kids know how to cook and how to microwave but she wouldn't let them) The kids called me in the hospital and said they weren't getting to eat, so I offered to order pizza, but MIL was afraid the pizza delivery guy would rape her.
Yikes! Ok, you got me, I call cray cray!

Old 07-09-2014, 10:07 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Sorry to say, but your mother is a weirdo. And a controlling one at that.

Eating out every meal is expensive. Does she ever realize that? I can put together three dinners for my family for less than one outing to a moderately-priced restaurant. As much as I like a good restaurant, I prefer to not blow it simply because I'm too lazy to plan and cook meals. Mind you, as a busy professional, I don't have the time to cook from scratch. But I can pretty much throw together dinner in less than an hour, especially if I've mapped out the week.

Not only that, but eating out is not terribly healthy, especially if you're frequenting Burger Barn. Lots of obese people out there because the drive-through is more expedient.
Yeah, I know it's expensive. My dad is a doctor and she was a nurse for 30 years so they can afford eating out. Sometimes I get shocked at what my dad eats on a daily basis (burgers, ribs, pizza) because he should know better. I'm actually surprised they don't have worse health problems. My mom is pretty fat. Although, my grandparents are in their 90s and also pretty much lived on pie and hamburgers so maybe I have another 30 years of this to look forward to.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:38 AM

732 posts, read 968,445 times
Your mom is evidently a prime candidate for membership into a booby hatch.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:06 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,130 times
I meet more people whom simple can not cook, refuse to cook or dislike cooking.
I enjoy attempting to cook outside the box. I have a few old fashion values and a partner with cooking capacities is a big one. Because I can afford to eat out daily doesn't suggest we should. Quality family interaction are going to the back burner and began at the diner table.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:43 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
My mother hates cooking, and also does not like it when other people cook. She would greatly prefer to just go to a restaurant every day, or get premade foods. If someone must cook, for example baking cookies, it should be from some sort of mix or pre made dough.

It goes so far as she gets angry when my sister or I cook things from scratch. It is my grandfather's birthday today. My sister was going to go over to my mom's house to bake cupcakes and it caused a giant fight with my sister calling me in tears. I cook most of my food from scratch, but stopped bothering cooking anything for my parents a long time ago as I never got anything besides rude comments about it.

Sometimes I find this odd as it seems like you always hear the stereotype of "mom's great cooking" or her special recipe. This is not the case in my family.

I wonder if this is some sort of 1960s era women's lib thing where cooking was seen as something stay at home moms do and not for the modern woman. Maybe many women of her age (60) feel the same way?

Do you have parents or someone you know who are anti-cooking?
I know people who are just so fascinated that I cook. I honestly don't get why people are so fascinated by that. It seems like yet another example of a First World problem.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:42 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I know people who are just so fascinated that I cook. I honestly don't get why people are so fascinated by that. It seems like yet another example of a First World problem.
I can't tell you how many people I've known over the years who are always complaining about money (And their lack thereof) yet eat out every meal. It's almost as if they cannot fathom that there's a connection between the two.

Hey, MrsCPG and I go out to eat somewhere nice about once every week or two. But even though we're two successful professionals, it adds up in a hurry. I'd rather cook at home and spend that money on a nice vacation or my children's college or my boat.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:51 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
Quote:
Honestly, I don't like arguing with her. Especially about stuff that seems innocuous. It's not the kind of argument that gets anywhere. I guess I asked on C-D because I was hoping that maybe hating cooking was some sort of societal trend shared by women of her era, not that I just have a crazy mom.
Read all the replies and it isn't a generational or societal thing. I cooked from scratch for so many
years (first out of necessity) even baking my own bread. I did it for my children as well for my husband
and myself to eat healthy. I also worked full time and with everything else that comes with being a
mother, wife & daughter, you know "super mom" or "second shift." Now that my children are on their
own, they also cook and are healthy eaters. But, after so many years of cooking, I'm tired of it and
I don't enjoy it. I still do it but not like I did before. As a matter of fact I'm making chicken noodle
soup right now.
As for the OP's mother she may be OCD or is envious of her abilities and her pleasure in cooking.
As for mom and dad, since they like dining out - just say Bon Appetit and Que Sera, Sera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships