Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 09:39 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,825,500 times

Advertisements

I still question when people approach basically a stranger with something like this if it is really out of concern or some people just feel the need to comment or be nosey.
I also think OP you are going to feel bad if she states something as the cause of why her gums are like this and she is getting treatment but there is little that can be done. You are going to make her more self conscious and feel worse about herself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 06:06 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times
I agree. I wonder about the motives of somebody who would approach a stranger (again these people ARE NOT friends) with such a personal observation. It will humiliate this young woman and I think it is very passive aggressive.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:47 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,683,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I agree. I wonder about the motives of somebody who would approach a stranger (again these people ARE NOT friends) with such a personal observation. It will humiliate this young woman and I think it is very passive aggressive.
Do you really believe the OP is being passive aggressive and wants to humiliate after asking for others opinions and then considering researching low cost dental care and specifically stating if she did say something it would be private?

Wow your viewpoint really saddens me..... what sad life experiences you must have had to think such a thing.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:24 AM

she only decided to do it anonymously after she heard so many here express their opinions that to approach this woman would be wrong. If she had done it---then yes it would be passive agressive. Hopefully she will either let it go or find a better way to handle it. Dental care can be extremely expensive. I hope the OP has the means to help this young woman if she decides to take this cause on and I hope she does it anonymously. Saying something to her privately would still be wrong. private and anonymous are two different things.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:10 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,648,895 times
I am not in favor of anonymous. She will look at every customer wondering if that is the person. Can you imagine what would be going on in her mind if that happened? The OP should mind her own damn business. The cashier knows she has a problem. Its her business and no one else's.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:12 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,926 times
as someone who also has dental issues, i wouldn't want anyone pointing that out to me. i can empathize with this chick. i know it is a problem, so unless you're offering to pay for it, mind your own damn business.

to everyone who claims they are trying to help or prevent future health problems(save someone's life LOL), don't be a hero. you're not doing anyone any favors. you just seem like a meddler. don't go offering suggestions or making comments when you don't know the other person's circumstances. remember marie from everybody love's raymond? always trying to "help" while projecting a veiled insult. i get the impression that alot of "older" people can be this way. i've experienced it. i have also had people my age point out my dental issues. i gave them a talking to while pointing out their physical flaws in return. in middle school, i had a tough time. got in many fights.

true story, kid with braces would routinely make fun of my teeth(ironic). one night at my friday night hangout when i was 12, kid came up to me more aggressive than usual talking shyt about my teeth and proceeded to give me a purple nurple. i punched him in the face and screwed up his braces. parents wanted to come after me because it costed nearly $2,000 to fix his mouth, but then they found out how many witnesses there were and that he instigated the whole thing and they didnt have a case.

chances are, people have endured ridicule all their lives for a particular physical affliction. however they think it will be different as an adult, but it is just more subtle in the form of a "suggestion" to go to the dentist. don't worry about how i am doing. chances are, my one physical flaw is miniscule compared to your dozens of character flaws i could point out.

ive got braces now, but it took several years of hard work, research, and savings to accomplish. i knew it was a problem long before i could afford to take care of it. i did this for myself, my health, my well-being, not for anyone else's particular "suggestion". even if someone i barely know offered to pay for my dental work, i wouldn't accept. too proud and i am always aware of the ulterior motives of others. at that point, it would become an obligation that i am not willing to fulfill. i'd rather work for it than have it handed to me. i just wish others felt the same way.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
as someone who also has dental issues, i wouldn't want anyone pointing that out to me. i can empathize with this chick. i know it is a problem, so unless you're offering to pay for it, mind your own damn business.

to everyone who claims they are trying to help or prevent future health problems(save someone's life LOL), don't be a hero. you're not doing anyone any favors. you just seem like a meddler. don't go offering suggestions or making comments when you don't know the other person's circumstances. remember marie from everybody love's raymond? always trying to "help" while projecting a veiled insult. i get the impression that alot of "older" people can be this way. i've experienced it. i have also had people my age point out my dental issues. i gave them a talking to while pointing out their physical flaws in return. in middle school, i had a tough time. got in many fights.

true story, kid with braces would routinely make fun of my teeth(ironic). one night at my friday night hangout when i was 12, kid came up to me more aggressive than usual talking shyt about my teeth and proceeded to give me a purple nurple. i punched him in the face and screwed up his braces. parents wanted to come after me because it costed nearly $2,000 to fix his mouth, but then they found out how many witnesses there were and that he instigated the whole thing and they didnt have a case.

chances are, people have endured ridicule all their lives for a particular physical affliction. however they think it will be different as an adult, but it is just more subtle in the form of a "suggestion" to go to the dentist. don't worry about how i am doing. chances are, my one physical flaw is miniscule compared to your dozens of character flaws i could point out.

ive got braces now, but it took several years of hard work, research, and savings to accomplish. i knew it was a problem long before i could afford to take care of it. i did this for myself, my health, my well-being, not for anyone else's particular "suggestion". even if someone i barely know offered to pay for my dental work, i wouldn't accept. too proud and i am always aware of the ulterior motives of others. at that point, it would become an obligation that i am not willing to fulfill. i'd rather work for it than have it handed to me. i just wish others felt the same way.
Terrific post and thanks for telling us your story. I hope your dental problems are soon resolved and your sacrifices pay off. It is incredible what can be done today with modern orthodontia.

One of my adopted daughters from Vietnam had incredibly crowded and bad teeth. I knew when she was very young there would not be enough space for all her teeth without intervention. But orthodontist warned about starting anything too early cause it would be a waste of money and really young kids don't know how to take good care of braces. She got them in 3rd grade and today at 12 she has the most beautiful smile. Very expensive but it was worth every cent.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:49 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Terrific post and thanks for telling us your story. I hope your dental problems are soon resolved and your sacrifices pay off. It is incredible what can be done today with modern orthodontia.

One of my adopted daughters from Vietnam had incredibly crowded and bad teeth. I knew when she was very young there would not be enough space for all her teeth without intervention. But orthodontist warned about starting anything too early cause it would be a waste of money and really young kids don't know how to take good care of braces. She got them in 3rd grade and today at 12 she has the most beautiful smile. Very expensive but it was worth every cent.
thanks, it hasn't been easy. but after 6 months, my looks have changed drastically so i've been told by many people. my top teeth look nothing like they did in january. might be time to change the ole facebook profile pic. and good for your stepdaughter!

i'm sure this woman already has self-esteem issues to begin with. i know i did(still do but it's getting better). to approach her and make a comment such as that is absurdly idiotic. i guess the whole concept of common sense is quickly disappearing, but i digress...

Old 07-17-2014, 06:42 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,302,537 times
Envelope.

Her name.

Money.

Dentist's card.

Otherwise, keep your trap shut.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:26 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,825,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Do you really believe the OP is being passive aggressive and wants to humiliate after asking for others opinions and then considering researching low cost dental care and specifically stating if she did say something it would be private?

Wow your viewpoint really saddens me..... what sad life experiences you must have had to think such a thing.

I don't think the person is trying to humiliate the worker. I just think some people are nosey and have the need to give advice or their opinion to others. I have family that I am not close with who feel the need to give suggestions on how I should live or what I should do and it really is not there place.
I highly doubt the worker does not see a problem with their teeth so that being said there is a reason that it has not been treated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships