Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 09:38 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,807,966 times

Advertisements

Reminds me of a favor a friend of mine asked of me... the second time. First time, she asked me to pick up her and her husband from an airport 15 mins. from me, take them, home, and they'd buy me lunch. Cool! Of course, she had the good sense to ask me a few days before. Did it, had a nice day with them.

The second time, they called me FROM the airport to pick them up, they'd buy me dinner for taking them home. Um, NO... you don't call me when you get to the airport and ASSUME I'll do it again without advance notice on a weeknight, ESPECIALLY when you live 25 miles away.

Not the same situation as the OP, but it sounds like a lot of hassle. First, you shouldn't have accepted her answer as a yes UNTIL you told her the details. I'm sure she said yes thinking you wouldn't be so inconsiderate as to exactly what you were asking of her. Then you have the nerve to be upset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 10:33 AM

912 posts, read 1,523,898 times
Is there a reason you couldn't have just ordered it online? I assume she would have either had to mail the order to you (incurring more cost to herself) or you would have had to pick it up -- in which case, why not just go to that store yourself?

I personally do not agree to do a favor until I know the details, and I don't accept someone else's "yes" as concrete until I give them the details and they agree at that point.

Also, if the $50 "matching" gift certificate is to a store she doesn't go to, that's not an incentive.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:40 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,623,643 times
where is the OP ? I always suspect things when it is a provocative post and the OP seems to go IMA. But, I have done the same thing because of my access to the computer.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:53 AM

9,907 posts, read 9,574,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
She and her sister live in different states, so, no.
yes true, though some states are very close together, lol.

I was thinking, if it is too much trouble for the OP, why would she think it was less trouble for the sister?

on another thought, its best not to get indebted with each other with "favors"... if one party feels they are doing favors more than receiving favors from the other person, resentment can happen. big time.

best not to get involved with "favors".

Old 07-15-2014, 11:03 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,782,975 times
I'm wondering what the order was. If it's something frivolous then I'd want to slap you upside the head. If it's something medical in nature that you really needed I'd be willing to go the distance. There's a difference between taking advantage of someone and really needing help.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:05 AM

22,539 posts, read 47,584,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
yes true, though some states are very close together, lol.
Yep... in some areas near me, going to a different state means crossing the river.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:36 AM

20,742 posts, read 19,939,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrivated View Post
I asked my sister for a favor and she said she'd love to help me but when I gave her the instructions (picking up an order that's only available in her state but within 25 miles of her) she got upset at the driving distance and overwhelmed with the order details, but even after I found it at a closer store and said she could just purchase it ($50 and she gets a matching gift certificate), she said no I'm too stressed and can't do it at all and was upset. I wasn't mean or angry I just gave the details then offered the easier way.

I don't understand this kind of behavior. If someone says "Yah I want to help you", then gets overwhelmed by the details then says they won't help you at all no matter what, I feel like I stepped over an invisible line I didn't know was there and onto a landmine, and if I'd guessed right the first time everything would have worked out fine. Now I feel like an ass for offering a simpler version because she got pissed off initially.

Has anyone else experienced this? Am I being rational or an ass? I feel let down and like I really screwed up because I guessed wrong.
Ass.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:56 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,724,248 times
Saying "no" is not a strange reaction to being asked to do a favor. Expecting someone to say "yes" however is strange.

Last edited by MissTerri; 07-15-2014 at 12:05 PM..

Old 07-15-2014, 12:25 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,752,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
this sounds like an illegal drug deal
If I had to guess... I would say that the sister being asked to pick up and ship the item lives in WA or CO .

She may have said "no" after hearing the details because they involved doing something illegal (shipping recreational drugs perhaps).

Of course, I could be way off base here...but this was my first thought when reading the original post.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:02 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,245,330 times
OP, your question can't be answered here, because we don't know your sister. You know her. You grew up with her. You know her quirks and feelings. To us she's a random stranger. To you, she's a big part of your life, and you know her all too well. How can she possibly suddenly seem strange to you, when you know her that well? If she suddenly seems very different than the sister you always knew, you can't expect her to suddenly be so average that we would know her better than you do. Your task, if she suddenly seems very different than the sister you always knew, is to find out what happened. And none of us have the slightest clue of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships