Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 10:16 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times

Advertisements

MrsCPG and I were watching an old "Six Feet Under" last night when something occurred to me.

During every episode of every drama, it seems as if three or four full-blown arguments break out between characters. They yell, make accusations, say terrible things, and then storm out. At one point, MrsCPG looked over at me and said, "You know, I can't remember the last time we even raised our voices to each other." It's just a very rare occasion in our marriage. As in once a decade. Yet I wonder how many people watch a show on television and think, "Oh, this is how normal people talk to one another." It certainly would explain some of the drama-filled posts on this thread.

As one example, I remember my kids getting into the habit of saying really mean and cutting things to one another when they were much younger. I couldn't figure out where they were learning that behavior until I walked into the den while they were watching some show on the Disney Channel. Yes, the Disney Channel. Lots of drama, lots of insults for laughs, and lots of dialog that would never be acceptable in a normal setting. Once I turned off the Disney Channel and told them that wasn't how people spoke to one another, the behavior improved a good deal.

I mean, hey, we're not the freaking Osmonds or anything. We're not a bunch of goody-two-shoes. But we just don't allow that kind of talk. So what do you think? Do some people get their social cues from what they see on TV? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 10:32 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
The Disney Channel is one of the WORST for impressions of how interpersonal relationships are supposed to work. So many kids on those shows say things I would never allow: calling each other "hot," "loser," etc. The Sprouse twins shows (Suite Life) was a particular offender.

Those shows also continuously perpetuate stereotypes like nerd vs. jock, hottie vs. prude etc.

I don't think TV should be used as a tool for learning about relationships, but unfortunately it happens.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:39 AM

11,361 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Quote:
Do some people get their social cues from what they see on TV?
Probably.

No wonder why I do not watch TV anymore.

Saturday evening while I was on my close to daily walk around a lake near my apartment, I passed a couple that were exchanging f-you's to each other in raised voices. Public park, lots of people around. Despicable and classless.
At least they didn't have children in tow...

Old 07-21-2014, 10:42 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
You cant learn from TV. it's all fantasy in depictions of most real life situations even in these "reality" shows. TV and film is stories meant to be sold to the viewer as truth. While some do this well that's really all it is. There are too many variables in relationships, People bring their past experiences with them as well. I agree with the above poster about the Disney channel especially.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:43 AM

9,907 posts, read 9,579,736 times
I hope you don't base real life on shows like that, i.e. Jerry Springer show. I think these people are for real but they ham it up for their 15 minutes of fame.

I don't hang around with idiots like on the Kardashians, they're not real life. they're living a fantasy rich celebrity life, but a negative one, there are some Hollywood celebrities that have class and good manners.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:52 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Do some people get their social cues from what they see on TV? Thoughts?
Probably. But if TV were a reflection of "real" life, it would be pretty boring and no one would watch.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:10 PM

351 posts, read 586,784 times
Default I hope not....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
MrsCPG and I were watching an old "Six Feet Under" last night when something occurred to me.

During every episode of every drama, it seems as if three or four full-blown arguments break out between characters. They yell, make accusations, say terrible things, and then storm out. At one point, MrsCPG looked over at me and said, "You know, I can't remember the last time we even raised our voices to each other." It's just a very rare occasion in our marriage. As in once a decade. Yet I wonder how many people watch a show on television and think, "Oh, this is how normal people talk to one another." It certainly would explain some of the drama-filled posts on this thread.
It's funny that you mention this. I first got my parents addicted to "Dexter", then I turned them on to "Six Feet Under". When I spoke to my mother and asked her how did she and my dad enjoyed the show, she said, "Your father and I really enjoy "Six Feet Under", but they argue so much!!"

So no, it doesn't depict real life for me or for most people I know. Thank God!

Old 07-21-2014, 01:23 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,754,937 times
I always looked at TV as fantasy and not every day people acted or lived like that.

Then comes all the reality shows of today. They aren't reality either but fake acting and encouraged fighting for the effect of drama. I sometimes watch the fake Housewives shows and it's so evident they are acting. I can't imagine hanging out with different women and yelling and screaming and the next second vacationing with them. There's only so much forgiving I can do before I move on to other friends. If we are friends, we respect each other. I don't have friends that like to yell or enjoy drama. That's not my thing.

Sadly I know a family though that could be on Jerry Springer. I think it's from the friends they hang out with as to why they act the way they do and not from TV watching. Heck they are too busy getting DUIs, getting pregnant by different baby daddies, doing drugs and robbing to have time to watch Disney or any other TV show.

Interesting question though. Kind of makes you think. Only thing I can think of is if someone's mind hasn't fully developed to know better or if a person doesn't socialize much at all and just watches TV then maybe they believe this is how most people are in the real world and act this way to fit in.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:23 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,158,336 times
Honestly I personally think that if someone is getting their social cues from what they see on TV (I love the way you phrased that!) than they have serious issues. It's scripted fantasy. Even reality tv these days is scripted. If someone can't separate reality from fantasy then they really got problems. (although it's sad that it happens!)

Old 07-21-2014, 01:26 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyViolet View Post
Honestly I personally think that if someone is getting their social cues from what they see on TV (I love the way you phrased that!) than they have serious issues. It's scripted fantasy. Even reality tv these days is scripted. If someone can't separate reality from fantasy then they really got problems. (although it's sad that it happens!)
And I agree with you completely, as do most rational adults. However, I can't help but wonder if a subset of people look at that stuff and think that's how relationships are supposed to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships