Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 04:49 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

I'm probably eccentric.

I rock back and forth in the car and at work. My interests are wide and varied. I like to party and sleep around.

Most people would call me odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 04:52 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
I describe myself as "idiosyncratic" rather than "eccentric". I certainly wouldn't use either to describe someone like Charlie Sheen who's just a loudmouthed substance abuser with a vitriolic tongue and no "off" switch.

I suppose people call those they don't understand, "eccentric" and it means different things to different people. Frankly, I don't give a damn.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:12 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindTheCure View Post
What comes to mind when you think of an eccentric person?

What qualities/traits make up an eccentric person?

Thanks in advance.
What comes to my mind is...an interesting person. I think eccentric people are confident in who they are and what they can do. Eccentric people aren't afraid to be who they are...even if it's not popular, or fashionable, or what "society" deems normal...I liken an eccentric person to being very colorful...and I like lots of color.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:06 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindTheCure View Post
What comes to mind when you think of an eccentric person? What qualities/traits make up an eccentric person?
I'd be so bold as to surmise that the definition of eccentric to most is someone completely unlike us, in behavior, manner of appearance, language style/accent, lifestyle, etc. As someone who has been labeled as such forever, I learned not to care about the label & to not label others as such. I know that wherever I am, I don't speak, look or act (seemingly, or so I've been told) like others, so it never mattered if I fit in & I didn't have a strong desire to attempt to do so. I accept others & attempt to be cordial to all... if I'm pointed out as strange, I just dismiss it & move forward. That adopted, survivalist attitude saved me lots of turmoil as a child (resigning myself to the fact that I'd never fit in) & is an irrelevant concept to me now.

To me, the only thing I find eccentric (if arm twisted into giving an example) is someone who has no desire to establish a report with others, like the Janis Joplinesque woman in my CO apt bldg who walked her cat passed the front doorway for hours in a baby carriage & would give a rude, sarcastic retort, if one tried to hold the door for her & her moggy or attempt a bit of conversation. Eccentric to me, in that example, meaning she would never try to make another feel comfortable in the way of a bit of small talk banter, in any way, shape or form. It's her decision, but I'm unsure why she doesn't at least try to be kind to others.

And, as another so perfectly stated... I'm not affluent enough to be eccentric. To others, I'm just bloody well weird. I do get tired of others describing me as 'different'. At my age, I've been known to say 'sod off' a few times, when that comment has hit me the wrong way & the individual with the unprovoked critique had no reply to, 'Why would you label me as such?' Yep, I'm eccentrically weird & I'm fine with it, but I do try to establish report with others. It's up to them to accept or decline. I'm probably labeled eccentric in that I no longer care if they decline.

Last edited by PatanjaliTwist; 07-20-2014 at 06:48 PM..

Old 07-20-2014, 07:59 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,250,645 times
As an alien infiltrating the human race, I try to be as normal as possible, to fit in. But I'm not a good enough actor, so people label me eccentric, because I fail to fit in as well as I should. Fortunately for me, there are a lot of eccentric people, so I actually do fit in pretty well, by being one of them.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:28 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
It's inherently a pejorative term, unfortunately. So one thinks of people like Howard Hughes or the Collyer brothers. People think of it as meaning "abnormal." Which is a pity.

Now that I think of it, is there a single adjective to be used in a complimentary way for someone who is unconventional, non-conformist?
Iconoclastic?

Old 07-20-2014, 09:33 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Iconoclastic?
How 'bout groovy & cool??

Old 07-21-2014, 08:04 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
I think of eccentric as being in the wrong place.

When I smile at people and engage strangers in conversation at the farmer's mkt, I am just another person enjoying the experience.

When I do it in our very buttoned up, (white bread ), upscale grocery, I am eccentric.

I could probably slide at whole foods

I'm going to the dictionary now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships