Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 12:43 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,424,854 times

Advertisements

There were some real humdinger arguments in Six Feet Under. Great show. The entire point of SFU was how utterly dysfunctional all those people were. That's what the show was ABOUT.

But yes, people do learn too much drama from TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 05:19 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,370,438 times
Actually, I've seen some impressive positive/constructive interaction on tv (of course, they are fictional shows with good writers and skilled actors).

It's hard to give specific examples of "I learned this from that show", but there have been many series that show a more nuanced and thoughtful side to people (characters).
Instances where I think to myself "if only people could talk things out in real life the way they do on this show"-that portray the sort of people we might aspire to being more like.

It's not all a total wasteland of hate and quarrel, "lowest-common-denominator" wins. Maybe that is what gets higher ratings, but I'm choosy about what I watch.
If it's a program where it's "horrible people being horrible to other horrible people"-I'm not tuning in to that misery, why on Earth would I subject myself to that ?

Old 07-28-2014, 09:10 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,130 times
A lot of people are affected by what they see on TV, especially if they watch a lot of it. Especially kids. Consider, anything that forms a large chunk of what you see about social interactions - especially if it's the majority of it as in kids because they don't have a lot of life experience yet - is going to influence how you think things are done.

I was just having this conversation with a friend, noting that for me the worst thing about the current generation of TV is that when we were growing up in the 80s and 90s, TV was very moralistic - it may have been stupid and cheesy, but there was always the bad behavior, and then the moral lesson at the end. It was always made very clear what was right and what was wrong - even crazy talk show hosts were cast to be the voice of reason - even Jerry Springer had a "The More You Know" kind of moment at the end of every show! Now, when you see hundreds of "reality" shows, they are all full of trashy and completely inappropriate and crazy behavior, but there is no counter-balance, there is nothing in the show that says "this is not normal, this is not right." For adults, it may seem funny. But for kids, they don't know as well as adults might that this is scripted to be a crazy show, that none of the characters are supposed to be real.

The thing that bothers me about TV shows the most is how nearly every single "problem" presented to write an episode around could easily be solved by simple communication - just explaining what happened, that is was an accident, or what you really meant. Instead they let it run for 30 or 60 minutes like something is this big huge unsolvable deal, based simply on a misunderstanding or a mistake. This is for critically acclaimed shows too! What that says to me, is that the majority audience must not think this is as boring as I do, that the problem is easily solved from the beginning by just SPEAKING TO ONE ANOTHER. If everyone thought it was as stupid of a premise for a whole show to be based on, it wouldn't be that popular of a show. But it happens in show after show after show.

I didn't think people were really like they were on TV, until I went to college and had to live with other people. I found out very quickly that couples actually swear and scream at each other on a regular basis, as well as that some families really act almost like the Brady Bunch in real life. I'm not sure which creeps me out more!

I admit it, I wanted my family to be like the Cosby Show and like Family Ties... if only the rest of my family felt that way too, maybe TV would have influenced us for the better! On the other hand, maybe watching one of the 100 "Housewives" shows (which apparently aren't even about housewives) draws families today closer - instead of the guilt families in the 80s felt for not living up to the ideal, maybe they feel better about themselves for at least not being THAT much of a hot mess...

Old 07-30-2014, 04:33 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
I think TV has a strong influence on audience behavior. People might not mimic what they see immediately, but most of us subconsciously draw social cues from what we observe.

Broadcast news is as bad as anything for its fostering a chronic state of fear and anxiety, IMO.

Right now we don't have our television hooked up to anything except Netflix. (Yes, there are TV shows there, but we can pick and choose) My husband watches sports online. We both keep up with the news by reading from a variety of online sources.

We're always a little shocked to hear the hype and frenzy on the television news if it's on at our local taqueria. We sit there goggledy-eyed in wonder.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:21 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,688,800 times
Of course they do. People are always parroting nonsense they see on soap operas. I think TV has a severe subliminal and subconscious effect on people who watch it. I don't even have TV in my house - I find it a waste of time. At least I can do productive things on my computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships