U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 10:36 AM

8,932 posts, read 6,466,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
If she requires a particular type of mattress, she can certainly provide it.
I'd go with this.

I think she has a lot of nerve. She should just keep quiet and book a hotel. Problem solved.
Let them deal with the complaining since she is now paying for it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 10:38 AM

835 posts, read 853,544 times
Quote:
Yup- BYOM.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:45 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,131,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Maybe. I did have somebody tell me our guest room mattress was too hard also. We bought the memory foam topper and she said it was great. Now, if the MIL still complains, yeah, there's something else going on.
I've never had any guests complain about a mattress and would actually be rather put out if they did. They're enjoying my generous hospitality of a free place to stay. At this stage of the game when I no longer have a guest room they're fortunate I have a serviceable futon as the alternative would be a blow-up air bed!

Old 07-22-2014, 10:49 AM

14,567 posts, read 8,394,455 times
Quote:
This. Better yet, hotel.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:09 AM

3,869 posts, read 2,706,816 times
In general older people have problems with very firm mattresses - very uncomfortable for old bones. If MIL experiences joint or muscle pain due to sleeping on a hard mattress, it seems reasonable to me that she would decide to skip the overnight visits. Who wants sleepless night or to wake up to pain?

What is she supposed to do when asked why - lie as to the reason?

Old 07-22-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
In general older people have problems with very firm mattresses - very uncomfortable for old bones. If MIL experiences joint or muscle pain due to sleeping on a hard mattress, it seems reasonable to me that she would decide to skip the overnight visits. Who wants to wake up to pain?

Of course not.

She can tell the truth. However demanding or even suggesting to anyone who invited her as a guest to buy a new bed is completely out of line.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:35 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,131,229 times
Quote:

It doesn't sound as though she responded to a question about the mattress but unsolicitedly came right out with her complaint.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:04 PM

3,869 posts, read 2,706,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
It doesn't sound as though she responded to a question about the mattress but unsolicitedly came right out with her complaint.
No, I assumed she was asked to stay overnight, declined the invitation and was asked why.

I do find it hard to believe she said "I can't stay at your house overnight unless you buy a new mattress that fits my desired plush/firmness." That's what the OP said she said.

Then the OP states that he thinks the mattress is just an excuse because MIL doesn't really want to stay with them.

Well, why would MIL demand they buy a new mattress when the OP thinks that she "will find a different excuse not to stay with us"? It makes no sense.

Last edited by cdnirene; 07-22-2014 at 12:21 PM..

Old 07-22-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
No, I assumed she was asked to stay overnight, declined the invitation and was asked why.

I do find it hard to believe she said "I can't stay at your house overnight unless you buy a new mattress that fits my desired plush/firmness." That's what the OP said she said.
I'm a bit stunned at your post.

Quote:
My mother-in-law says our mattress is too firm and therefore she can't stay at our house overnight unless we buy a new mattress that fits her desired plush/firmness
Sounds sincere to me.

I do like to take people at their word and I will be disappointed to find out the above did not take place.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:25 PM

3,723 posts, read 4,578,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
My mother-in-law says our mattress is too firm and therefore she can't stay at our house overnight unless we buy a new mattress that fits her desired plush/firmness. This problem seems to be unique to our home, she says at many other homes and doesn't complain about their mattress. There isn't anything wrong with our mattress, yes it is a firm, but it is in good condition, hardly used, and free of bedbugs. Nothing wrong with it.

My wife says we should buy a new mattress so MIL can say with us.

I say no, we're not going to go buy a new mattress just to fit one particular guest, and one whom I think will find a different excuse not to stay with us. I try to convince my wife that the issues with staying with us extend far beyond the mattress, but she remains fixated that the mattress is the primary reason why she won't stay with us.

Your thoughts?
Have the mother-in-law help pick out the new mattress. You don't want to buy one she doesn't like and be stuck with two of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or