Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 09:36 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,978,096 times

Advertisements

What is the fascination with this question? Is it to compare themselves to others? To "one-up" someone subtly? To be sure they're in your socio-economic class? Just to get the conversation flowing?

I'm just wondering because to me, it's somewhat annoying.

I'd prefer someone ask me about my hobbies, movies I enjoy, or places I have traveled.

How do you feel about this question? Maybe I'm just overreacting, but it's gotten to the point that I am asked that question so much that it is an instant turn-off and I either say starving artist or still finding out.

I personally am not defined by my employment because to me it's just a means to doing the things I actually enjoy.

I was even playing Words With Friends and my random, stranger opponent asked me this question.

So again, how do you feel about this question? If you ask, then what is your reason for doing so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 09:41 AM

22,420 posts, read 47,411,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
What is the fascination with this question? Is it to compare themselves to others? To "one-up" someone subtly? To be sure they're in your socio-economic class? Just to get the conversation flowing?

I'm just wondering because to me, it's somewhat annoying.

I'd prefer someone ask me about my hobbies, movies I enjoy, or places I have traveled.
In another post, you lamented about your lack of travel.
Wouldn't you rather talk about your line of work than a regret you have?

It is just conversation. Maybe you have something in common as far as work goes. Reluctance to talk about your job, even just a little, would come off as odd to me... like you are ashamed of it or something.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:56 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,036,039 times
It's just one topic to talk about and given how much we work, it's not inappropriate at all. Just because you say you're not defined by your employment...people are just supposed to automatically know that? I'm not defined by mine either, but I'm OK talking about it.

Of course in some settings it COULD be inappropriate, just like any other topic; it's situational. For instance when I get a sense that I'm in a group of social climbers or wannabees and I know them asking what I do is just a means of wanting to pitch themselves or ask me for something...that's a big ick for me. But depending on the group, *any* topic could be construed as annoying or inappropriate.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:58 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,761,388 times
So when you meet someone, you don't want to know how they spend 8+ hours of their days???

It's a legitimate get-to-know-you question that only becomes threatening if you're defensive about what you do.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:59 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,091,324 times
I usually don't ask, If someone asks me I just tell them.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:01 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,251,416 times
It's simply a conversation starter. Work, whether we like it or not, takes up a very large portion of our lives. Perhaps it doesn't define us, but it is a large part of how we spend our lives.

I dropped my car off at the dealership for servicing yesterday, and the driver of the shuttle (taking me to my office) asked me that very question. I doubt he was trying to one-up me or establish socio-economic class. He was just making conversation to avoid awkward silence.

Don't overthink it.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
In another post, you lamented about your lack of travel.
Wouldn't you rather talk about your line of work than a regret you have?

It is just conversation. Maybe you have something in common as far as work goes. Reluctance to talk about your job, even just a little, would come off as odd to me... like you are ashamed of it or something.
I can talk about my travels within the US, and that's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
So when you meet someone, you don't want to know how they spend 8+ hours of their days???
Not really.

--------------------
If I'm not at work, I'm at home..when I do actually go out, the last thing on my mind is work.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:09 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,036,039 times
Well sometimes if I want to avoid a certain topic I know is going to come up I go on the offensive and become the starter of conversations about topics I prefer.

Sometimes that works.

Passively expecting others to know you don't want to talk about work (or any other topic) doesn't work for the most part.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:11 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,761,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
I can talk about my travels within the US, and that's about it.

Not really.

--------------------
If I'm not at work, I'm at home..when I do actually go out, the last thing on my mind is work.
So after spending 15 minutes discussing movies, the weather, sports, and traveling, you would not want to know that they were, oh, say, the mayor or a firefighter or a music producer??

Conversation involves both people. It's not just about you.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
So after spending 15 minutes discussing movies, the weather, sports, and traveling, you would not want to know that they were, oh, say, the mayor or a firefighter or a music producer??

Conversation involves both people. It's not just about you.
What benefit does knowing the above have?

If they're not signing me to a music deal or offering me a job. Why am I so concerned with what they do?

Most people talk to others to see what they can get out of someone. I guess this is why I personally don't like the question. It's on the same level as asking a salary to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Well sometimes if I want to avoid a certain topic I know is going to come up I go on the offensive and become the starter of conversations about topics I prefer.

Sometimes that works.

Passively expecting others to know you don't want to talk about work (or any other topic) doesn't work for the most part.
Leading the conversation seems like a good idea. I believe I'm a passive conversationalist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships