U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 04:33 PM

24,839 posts, read 30,021,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Check your zoning laws. I have never lived anywhere where children are allowed to play in the street.
Did anyone enforce those zoning ordinances?

Old 07-23-2014, 04:49 PM

5,920 posts, read 5,268,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Did anyone enforce those zoning ordinances?
If a cop came by they would stop and tell them to leave.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:50 PM

16,952 posts, read 17,256,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Call the police. It's a fire hazard.
In my town it is illegal to put bike ramps, skateboard ramps and other equipment in the middle of a public street, even if it is on a dead end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Legally, I doubt there is anything you can do. I think you should set some boundaries without trying to banish them entirely. Very politely tell the parents that you don't mind the kids playing in the street, but could they please not block the driveway with their equipment.
If for some reason it is legal for the children and adults to put equipment on the public street at the minimum they should not be blocking your access to your driveway.

BTW, for all of you who say that it is "expected" and "normal" that children will play and set up equipment on cul-du-sacs on public streets. I want to disagree with you. I know several people who live on cul-du-sacs and the neighbor children do not use the streets are public playgrounds & skateboard parks.

I have lived in two different condominium complexes with private roads, the condo association built the streets and maintain the streets. In both condo complexes, although children were allowed to ride their bikes on the streets it was strictly forbidden to set up any type of ramp or equipment on the streets and these were even private not public streets. Basketball games & football games on the streets would also be broken up, by neighbors or security, and the childrens/teens told to use the common area grass or go to a public park.

To the OP, there have been several similar threads over the past few years on C-D, please check those out for additional ideas. I just reread your post. You mentioned that this happened "twice this summer". Some of the other threads were about this type of thing happening several times per week or every evening or every weekend. It still is wrong but maybe it isn't something to go ballistic over (as long as you can easily drive in and out of your driveway, and it doesn't go late at night, and they are not on your property).

PS. If it was me, I would not let the children intimidate me. If I needed to leave to go to the store and they had a huge game set up I would just get in my car, drive out and make them move out of the way. In fact, if I saw a huge game, equipment being set up, etc. I might need to make a special trip to the store to buy something to calm my nerves.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:56 PM

7,936 posts, read 9,664,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
This is normal in a cul-de-sac. It's a safe place for kids because they are out of the street and away from traffic. I'm surprised you didn't know that, it's something you should have checked on before buying the house I'm afraid.
No! The cul-de-sac is NOT a safe place for kids because it is a ROAD, designed for cars, not kids. Any parent that allows (or encourages) their children to play in a road is asking for a horrible accident. It's only a matter of time. You should never allow your children to play in streets. Period.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:59 PM

2,418 posts, read 3,501,998 times
Good idea to call the code enforcement office. I did that once but the guy living across from me was running a landscaping business from his home and brought a lot of traffic to the cul-de-sac. It took awhile but after having to take many pics to prove my case, I won and he had to stop. He was causing traffic in our cul-de-sac and causing our home values to go down. Just give them a call and see if these kids are violating anything.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:02 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,033,738 times
I would first call the city to see if it's permissible to play on the street. If it isn't let those parents know and if they disregard you, call the cops. I'd also drive in and out of my driveway every time they set up they're junk. Just drive around the block and then back home then leave again when they set it back up. Shouldn't take them long to get the idea. What do you care if they like you or not, you said they live on other streets. Being friendly to people like that only makes you a chump. They don't give a damn about you or your property.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:06 PM

35,120 posts, read 40,097,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisytny View Post
We live on a cul-de-sak. We built our home there do to the seclusion it provided from other potential neighbors. We are the only ones that live on the street. We have two driveways that are off this cul-de-sak, so basically half the cul-de-sak is right in front of our driveway. With all that being said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisytny View Post
We have lived there for one year and twice this summer we've been frustrated with the entire neighborhood's children AND parents treating it like a playground. People from two streets over actually drive their cars to the cud-de-sak with ramps and bikes in tow for their kids to play in front of our home. I'm talking 12 to 14 children from 2 to 9 yrs. old. When this happens it blocks our entire driveway. It's frustrating. We had to leave the last time it happened and it was a mess. The parents had to move bikes and ramps so we could leave. I thought my husband would explode. Like I said, we are the only home on the road and have no children. We really find this very rude for them to do. We really like everyone we've met in our neighborhood and don't want to become"that couple", but it can't keep happening. I keep thinking of the what could happens... My mother-in-law has brain cancer. What if we had to leave quickly and all those kids were in the way? What if one gets hurt on our property (because they seem to like to ride their bikes down our driveway )?
How would you go about bringing this up to the parents?
There is no way we would ever hurt one of those precious children's feelings and feel that the parents should have more respect for us.
Thank you...

Now I can actually read your post.

Why not go to City Hall to code enforcement, zoning or whatever department it is and tell them your issue and ask them what if anything can be done.

I would think if there is some sort of guideline regarding the equipment the people are bringing for their children to use.
That in itself may be against the guidelines or just the fact they drive 2 streets over to leave their kids to play unsupervised.

As far as the children playing on your property you can put a stop to that legally, it is called "No Trespassing" and the police do have to get involved if someone is on your property without your permission.
I would also put up signs regarding not blocking the driveway as well.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:17 PM

2,455 posts, read 2,615,168 times
Try #5 on this list of ways to improve the Feng Shui of cul-de-sac living.

Feng Shui of a House in a Cul-de-Sac

Old 07-23-2014, 05:54 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,486,425 times
The cul-de-sac isn't yours, therefore they can play in it. It's common for neighborhood kids to do it. I did it as a kid. You'll just have to get that part.

Since they are in your driveway or your yard, that's your property which they can't be on. God forbid they trip over a sprinkler and sue you for it. And like you said, your MIL has cancer. They shouldn't be blocking your driveway. Tell them to create a clear path so that you don't interrupt their game.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:09 PM

5,379 posts, read 6,509,260 times
could try a couple of trips in and out of your driveway where they have to break down their play toys. Make turns widely. Go out and get some bread. Return. Go out and get some beer. Return. Make a sandwich and figure you have made your point. People figure things out and some may make changes.

really not much you can do if it is a public road unless it is worth it to you to call the police for safety reasons.

We had a neighborhood ruckus because one neighbor asked the other neighbor to stop parking in front of his house. WWIII
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or