Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 07:01 AM

912 posts, read 1,524,516 times

Advertisements

My husband and I live near the end of a cul de sac in a neighborhood packed full of little kids. They frequently play in the street -- but the difference is that the kids in our neighborhood are very aware of and courteous to passing cars. They move out of the way quickly and it's just never an issue.

OP, I know this is annoying, but from your post I'm not getting the impression that you've actually spoken to anyone about it. You're well within your rights to ask that they not play in such a way that blocks your driveway.

Prior to you building your home, was this simply an empty yet paved street? If that's the case, it's very likely that children have been playing in it for years -- I would imagine that parents felt safer having their kids play there rather than on a street with neighbors and cars. It's unfortunate for you if you wanted total seclusion, but this is the value in extensively checking out a property at different times of the day prior to purchase. Nothing to do about that now, though.

Good luck!

Old 07-24-2014, 07:10 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
The OP has said this:

Twice in a whole year is really not too bad....

In my area, kids are in the cul-de-sacs practically every day in the summer and on weekends year 'round.
PITT CHICK: Thank you for pointing that out! I had completely missed the "twice" reference.

My impression is that this is continual but that it is worse sometimes than others. However, if the situation has only been "really bad" on two occasions, then it isn't as big an annoyance as I had pictured.

In my own experience, we had kids who played street hockey on a main thoroughfare through our neighborhood. It was a really really bad situation, with folks having close calls with kids dashing out in front of cars and pucks being slammed into cars as well as bikes (my son was injured when riding his bike and a puck was whacked right into the spokes of his wheel causing a crash and a broken nose). I did talk to the kids and their parents about my son getting injured b/c of their wild behavior, but other than "So sorry" . . . nothing changed. My son just didn't get out on his bike when they were playing. I probably should have called the cops, but I felt that would just end up with retribution and ugliness from the kids as well as their parents.

Eventually, however, someone called PD . . .

Since it was a main thoroughfare, the cops came out several times and the third time, they rounded up kids and took them home and had a meeting with the parents. The play ended up in a cul-de-sac one street over from ours. It took some expensive damage to a neighbor's car b/f the cul-de-sac get togethers ended.

I think if the kids live on the same street as the cul-de-sac, and especially if a person's own kids are involved, it makes the situation a lot less annoying, overall. But if there is damage or someone gets badly hurt, folks can lose their patience very quickly. Also, if there is a lot of loud noise for hours on end, some folks will be upset by that aspect of things.

I agree with other posters who say folks often seek out a cul-de-sac when purchasing a home, specifically so their kids can play in it. So, folks playing there should never be a surprise. I think the addition of ramps and kids from other parts of the neighborhood probably adds to the irritation.

In any case, I know that feuds that last forever can start b/c of kids blocking driveways, equipment being strewn about (bikes, trikes, toys can be a problem, as well). I tend to take the long view and whatever I do or don't do is governed by knowing people can get spiteful and ugly when it comes to their kids, lol.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:17 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,925,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
The cul-de-sac isn't yours, therefore they can play in it. It's common for neighborhood kids to do it. I did it as a kid. You'll just have to get that part.

Since they are in your driveway or your yard, that's your property which they can't be on. God forbid they trip over a sprinkler and sue you for it. And like you said, your MIL has cancer. They shouldn't be blocking your driveway. Tell them to create a clear path so that you don't interrupt their game.

Exactly. If you were woried about all this there are plenty places to live where this isn't a problem. Like no in a neighborhood

Old 07-24-2014, 08:59 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

I once asked a policeman in my city about the "slow children at play" signs. He said that that it was so that drivers watched out for children running after balls that go into the street from their yards NOT to allow children to play in the streets. Children playing on public streets is against municipal laws in my city.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-29-2014 at 08:47 AM..

Old 07-24-2014, 09:00 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post
My husband and I live near the end of a cul de sac in a neighborhood packed full of little kids. They frequently play in the street -- but the difference is that the kids in our neighborhood are very aware of and courteous to passing cars. They move out of the way quickly and it's just never an issue.

OP, I know this is annoying, but from your post I'm not getting the impression that you've actually spoken to anyone about it. You're well within your rights to ask that they not play in such a way that blocks your driveway.

Prior to you building your home, was this simply an empty yet paved street? If that's the case, it's very likely that children have been playing in it for years -- I would imagine that parents felt safer having their kids play there rather than on a street with neighbors and cars. It's unfortunate for you if you wanted total seclusion, but this is the value in extensively checking out a property at different times of the day prior to purchase. Nothing to do about that now, though.

Good luck!
I agree. OP, did you expect to never have neighbors or anyone around you?

Old 07-24-2014, 09:35 AM

11,785 posts, read 12,024,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I agree. OP, did you expect to never have neighbors or anyone around you?

Right in the OP it said
Quote:
We live on a cul-de-sak. We built our home there do to the seclusion it provided from other potential neighbors. We are the only ones that live on the street.
So yes, I think they did expect not to have people around them, because they don't. The parents are driving their kids to the OP's street to play in the road.

And I'm with others, those caution, children playing signs are to warn drivers there are many children in that neighbourhood, NOT that you should expect them to be playing right in the street. I don't see how all these kids and their equipment have any place in the middle of the cul-de-sac.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:13 AM

9,821 posts, read 11,539,106 times
I only allowed my kids growing up to play in front of, or on the same street as our house.

I think its kind of rude to have my kids play in front of some else's house.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:14 AM

22,567 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Right now they do not have neighbors... but unless they bought all the surrounding land, they more than likely will in the future. (They built just a year ago). And if those new houses have kids in them.....

Wait... that's a thought! Buy the surrounding lots and have the cul-de-sac rezoned/reclassified as your driveway!

Old 07-24-2014, 10:16 AM

22,567 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post

I think its kind of rude to have my kids play in front of some else's house.
True.. but the OP just built there.

In my area, roads go in well before the homebuilding starts. The neighborhood kids may have been playing there for a long time, because it was an empty road with zero traffic and zero houses

Old 07-24-2014, 11:23 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
True.. but the OP just built there.

In my area, roads go in well before the homebuilding starts. The neighborhood kids may have been playing there for a long time, because it was an empty road with zero traffic and zero houses
Good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships