U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 08:10 PM

5,849 posts, read 5,689,166 times

Advertisements

Put a No Parking sign(s) there so that no one should park there.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:13 PM

20,419 posts, read 37,534,576 times
But.... no one IS parking there!

Old 07-27-2014, 12:17 PM

8,623 posts, read 6,231,205 times
I would call all of my friends/relatives and have them drive over to visit for an hour or so and let that cul-de-sac fill up with traffic/cars. If the parents complain act as they do when bringing their brats around. Don't wory about what they think.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:53 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,153,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
This is normal in a cul-de-sac. It's a safe place for kids because they are out of the street and away from traffic. I'm surprised you didn't know that, it's something you should have checked on before buying the house I'm afraid.
Normal?

NEVER in a million years would I have thought to drive my kid to ANOTHER STREET OR NEIGHBORHOOD to play on someone ELSE'S cul de sac.

I actually lived on one and didn't allow my own kid out there and no other neighbors did either.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:57 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,153,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
While I understand that you are the only residents on this cul-de-sac, this behavior is a generally accepted part of cul-de-sac life, and a big reason many families choose cul-de-sacs.

In our city, the street is the public right of way, and about the only thing you aren't allowed to do is permanently install something that would block the right of way.

Your most effective but least comfortable solution is going to be to speak to the parents who regularly come there and ask them to play somewhere else. You might try setting up lawn chairs at the end of your driveway one night to see if that changes their habits at all. Then talk to the parents who show up and explain your position.

To me, it's better than passive-aggressively contacting your HOA or the police, putting up signs, etc.

If the parents WANTED cul de sac life, they should have bought a PROPERTY ON THE CUL DE SAC.

They don't live there. They have no business being there.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:22 PM

334 posts, read 464,948 times
It's illegal to set up ramps and to even potentially hamper traffic by congregating on a public thoroughfare. Go by your police station and talk to them about it.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:55 PM

42,818 posts, read 41,543,053 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

As I said in my original reply, the OP is going to HAVE to confront the parents who are driving their kids there to play, even though they don't really want to.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-29-2014 at 08:58 AM..

Old 07-27-2014, 10:22 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,515,355 times
Sad to see the OP has disappeared. I'd still like to know if this is a private development with an HOA or a city-financed and maintained street. It makes a difference from a legal standpoint, I suspect, and perhaps not even in the way one would automatically suspect.

In any case, Slate magazine carried an article a few years ago about "children at play" signs. Author Tom Vanderbilt pointed out a very relevant fact about them, "The Federal Highway Administration, in its Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices, the sacred Ur-text of road signage, does not sanction 'Children at Play' signs. It notes: 'The use of warning signs should be kept to a minimum as the unnecessary use of warning signs tends to breed disrespect for all signs. In situations where the condition or activity is seasonal or temporary, the warning sign should be removed or covered when the condition or activity does not exist.'"

Vanderbilt's research shows these signs are often placed in residential areas to placate parents when what is actually needed is speed reduction in neighborhoods where children are likely to dart in front of moving vehicles for any reason. (But a speed reduction, of course, would be too controversial.) He says the signs have no measurable effect on the drivers to whom they are addressed and are, in almost every case, unrelated to any law.
"Children at Play" signs imperil our kids.

For example, the Michigan Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MMUTCD) points out, "Special warning signs such as 'Children at Play,' 'Watch for Chidren,' or others that warn of normal conditions are not effective in reducing speeds in residential areas. It is also likely that such signs encourage parents to believe that there is an added degree of protection which is not the case. These signs suggest that it is acceptable for children to play in the street. The Michigan Vehicle Code prohibits the use of signs not deemed standard by the MMUTCD."
http://www.ite.org/traffic/documents/tcir0053.pdf

Old 07-28-2014, 01:45 AM

291 posts, read 311,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
It is not only "technically illegal" for kids to play in the street. It is illegal.
Well, no, I think it's only "technical" because it's actually not illegal to:
  • Ride your bike in the road
  • Rollerblade in the road (there are no sidewalks)
  • Take walks on the road (again, no sidewalks)
  • Take a run on the road (ibid)
  • Cross the road
  • Go into the road to retrieve something
Most of our kids' play involves this. They aren't just playing Barbies in the road. They are riding bikes, rollerblading, running down the street, etc. You could argue on a technicality that most of the basketball and other play occurs on a driveway and that it just "spills over" into the road, so it might not get fined.

That would not apply in the OP's case, however.

Quote:
It is NOT OKAY to let your children roam unsupervised. People will call CPS these days b/c rational people KNOW it is not okay to let children roam unsupervised.

By "child" what age are you referring to? Most states allow for increasing freedom and autonomy with age, so at 7 you can play alone in the yard; at 9 you can walk down the street to a neighbor's house and stay home during the summer and go to the library; at 13 you can babysit a child over 2... and so on.

Our kids roam the neighborhood. We all look out for them. We take turns. We communicate.

But wait for it... we aren't actually ideologically motivated. We just happen to be a community that cares about kids. I have put on band-aids on other people's kids and other people have put band-aids on my kids. I've carried a kid home and others have carried my kid home. I've bleached my counter for someone else's peanut allergy and someone else has bought turkey pepperoni for no-pork kids. I've put helmets on other people's kids and they've put jackets on mine. We share babysitters and we invite one another to the beach and over for barbecues.

This IS the country we live in, right now, if we choose to make it that way.

Or we could choose to make kids and parents criminals and stay in our safe little houses by ourselves with no connection to one another except by watching the evening news and making assumptions.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:46 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,389,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeZeeZee View Post

But wait for it... we aren't actually ideologically motivated. We just happen to be a community that cares about kids. I have put on band-aids on other people's kids and other people have put band-aids on my kids. I've carried a kid home and others have carried my kid home. I've bleached my counter for someone else's peanut allergy and someone else has bought turkey pepperoni for no-pork kids. I've put helmets on other people's kids and they've put jackets on mine. We share babysitters and we invite one another to the beach and over for barbecues.

This IS the country we live in, right now, if we choose to make it that way.

Or we could choose to make kids and parents criminals and stay in our safe little houses by ourselves with no connection to one another except by watching the evening news and making assumptions.
I think this is acceptable to people who have their own kids who play with other kids, and yeah obviously you will help each other out. But what about those of us who at this point have chosen not to have kids right this moment? We are supposed to be some kind of babysitter because some parent decides it's ok to play in front of our homes instead of theirs? If I see a kid hurt, I would try to help him or her out, but at what point do we stop & say 'where are your parents?' I used to ride my bike up to our cul-de-sak as a kid, but our basketball hoop & everything else was in our own driveway. Sure we could ride up the street or cut through the woods to each others house, but we also understood that we were not to play on other people's property, block driveways, or disturb other homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or