U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 01:58 PM

3 posts, read 3,447 times

Advertisements

We live on a cul-de-sak. We built our home there do to the seclusion it provided from other potential neighbors. We are the only ones that live on the street. We have two driveways that are off this cul-de-sak, so basically half the cul-de-sak is right in front of our driveway. With all that being said...
We have lived there for one year and twice this summer we've been frustrated with the entire neighborhood's children AND parents treating it like a playground. People from two streets over actually drive their cars to the cud-de-sak with ramps and bikes in tow for their kids to play in front of our home. I'm talking 12 to 14 children from 2 to 9 yrs. old. When this happens it blocks our entire driveway. It's frustrating. We had to leave the last time it happened and it was a mess. The parents had to move bikes and ramps so we could leave. I thought my husband would explode. Like I said, we are the only home on the road and have no children. We really find this very rude for them to do. We really like everyone we've met in our neighborhood and don't want to become"that couple", but it can't keep happening. I keep thinking of the what could happens... My mother-in-law has brain cancer. What if we had to leave quickly and all those kids were in the way? What if one gets hurt on our property (because they seem to like to ride their bikes down our driveway )?
How would you go about bringing this up to the parents?

There is no way we would ever hurt one of those precious children's feelings and feel that the parents should have more respect for us.
Thank you...

Old 07-23-2014, 02:06 PM

20,419 posts, read 37,542,910 times
Is this a private or a public road?
If public, there is not much you can do about them using the road.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:16 PM

2,418 posts, read 3,501,998 times
Do you have sprinklers?

Old 07-23-2014, 02:16 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,288,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisytny View Post
We live on a cul-de-sak. We built our home there do to the seclusion it provided from other potential neighbors. We are the only ones that live on the street. We have two driveways that are off this cul-de-sak, so basically half the cul-de-sak is right in front of our driveway. With all that being said...
We have lived there for one year and twice this summer we've been frustrated with the entire neighborhood's children AND parents treating it like a playground. People from two streets over actually drive their cars to the cud-de-sak with ramps and bikes in tow for their kids to play in front of our home. I'm talking 12 to 14 children from 2 to 9 yrs. old. When this happens it blocks our entire driveway. It's frustrating. We had to leave the last time it happened and it was a mess. The parents had to move bikes and ramps so we could leave. I thought my husband would explode. Like I said, we are the only home on the road and have no children. We really find this very rude for them to do. We really like everyone we've met in our neighborhood and don't want to become"that couple", but it can't keep happening. I keep thinking of the what could happens... My mother-in-law has brain cancer. What if we had to leave quickly and all those kids were in the way? What if one gets hurt on our property (because they seem to like to ride their bikes down our driveway )?
There is no way we would ever hurt one of those precious children's feelings and feel that the parents should have more respect for us.
Thank you...
I think the cul-de-sac would still be considered public property because it isn't actually a part of your driveway, therefore, I don't think there is anything you can actually do.

But, about the children playing in the street, I'd have a talk with their parents because it does present an unsafe situation.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:26 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,391,413 times
We have the same thing. In fact, the kids think our yard is part of their playground too & have used our house as a stopper for kickball. There's not much you can do. Some people on here will tell you that not only should you welcome the kids, but you should bring them milk & cookies-so I wouldn't expect much advice from CD. Good luck

Old 07-23-2014, 02:35 PM

16,722 posts, read 14,643,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisytny View Post
Thank you...
This is normal in a cul-de-sac. It's a safe place for kids because they are out of the street and away from traffic. I'm surprised you didn't know that, it's something you should have checked on before buying the house I'm afraid.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:41 PM

352 posts, read 573,155 times
You can talk to your neighbors about your concern as having someone with a medical condition with brain cancer may mean you'll need to be able to rush out at time. Ask if there is a compromise on either when playing in the cul-de-sac can be done, or maybe keep some of the more difficult to move objects from blocking your street in case you do need to make a run to the hospital. It's not rude of you to explain your concern, but do keep in mind that the road is public so the kids can play there. You just have a good reason for them to be more mindful of your needs as a neighbor and as someone with a medical condition (your MIL, not you).

Old 07-23-2014, 02:48 PM

42,838 posts, read 41,574,347 times
While I understand that you are the only residents on this cul-de-sac, this behavior is a generally accepted part of cul-de-sac life, and a big reason many families choose cul-de-sacs.

In our city, the street is the public right of way, and about the only thing you aren't allowed to do is permanently install something that would block the right of way.

Your most effective but least comfortable solution is going to be to speak to the parents who regularly come there and ask them to play somewhere else. You might try setting up lawn chairs at the end of your driveway one night to see if that changes their habits at all. Then talk to the parents who show up and explain your position.

To me, it's better than passive-aggressively contacting your HOA or the police, putting up signs, etc.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:54 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,569,282 times
Call the police. It's a fire hazard.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:03 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,343,288 times
You're in a bit of a pickle.
YOU SHOULD NEVER feel bad about conversing with the parents or anyone with issues pertaining to safety.

Nothing like the sound of children playing from afar but nothing more disturbing like children playing on your property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or