U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2017, 06:48 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 27 days ago)

10,512 posts, read 14,350,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by cultural? I live in the United States. I cannot fathom any professional situation in which it would be appropriate to call one of my clients "honey" or "sweetie".
Cultural as in very generally north/south divide.
Maybe culturally business wise also because very formal offices in both places do not use the more casual forms of address, but in less formal situations it's perfectly acceptable in the south.
I probably would be surprised if I'm meeting the college dean, the bank president, or my high priced lawyer for the first time and I'm addressed as sweetie. OTOH if I go to the doctors office, my insurance agent, the parent teacher conference and any and all retail or causal dining establishments I pretty much expect that someone there will address me as such, regardless of our respective ages, genders, or social class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 08:19 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,514,657 times
Quote:
For those of you who consider hon & sweetie, an actual honorific or title, I'm curious...would you ever address a business letter as Dear Hon or Dear Sweetie? vs Dear Sir or Ma'am?
There's a time and a place for everything, societal differences and other worse things to fret about than familiar terms of address, don't you think?

Quote:
For those of you who consider hon & sweetie, an actual honorific or title, I'm curious...would you ever address a business letter as Dear Hon or Dear Sweetie? vs Dear Sir or Ma'am?
Quote:
You can pretend language is not important, if you wish, no sweat off my back. However, language is meant to convey & communicate, so each word, does just that. When you use a diminutive to address an adult or a term of endearment to a stranger, you are absolutely disrespecting that person. The only real question is whether it's intentional or not.
Come on, admit it. It really DOES bother you and IS sweat off your back, doesn't/isn't it, Darlin'?

"Disrespecting" is horribly over-used!

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 02-27-2017 at 08:35 PM..

Old 02-28-2017, 06:08 AM

3,701 posts, read 1,878,296 times
I am totally amused at people considering this sort of thing a micro-aggression.

273 comments!

Old 02-28-2017, 07:02 AM

10,171 posts, read 7,096,273 times
When I moved down south, it was really a shock for me how many people used words like hon, sweety, darling, and even "love" when addressing me. Total strangers. But I just got used to it. I looked young too...but when I looked older, people keep it up. I think its really funny when people obviously younger say it though.

The thing that bothers me, and I don't know if its regional or what, but when I am talking with professionals about my children (who have special needs and learning issues) and they keep referring to them as "kid-os". Even the tone bothers me because it seems so condescending. I don't know. I am sure I will get used to it. But its like as if adding an "o" at the end some how lightens the blow when talking about your dyslexic daughters slow reading growth. It doesn't. It just seems dumb. I dunno...

Old 02-28-2017, 10:28 AM

11,068 posts, read 6,210,090 times
Quote:
When you're addressing a business letter to someone, don't you already know their name? I would think you would then address it as Dear Mary Smith, for example or Dear Ms Mary Smith or even Dear Ms Smith.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:32 AM

16,133 posts, read 12,876,178 times
It doesn't bother me but what bothered me recently was a young male cashier calling me "momma." WTF?

Old 02-28-2017, 10:35 AM

1,102 posts, read 492,918 times
Do guys call each other "hon" and "sweetie"? If not, why not, if it's clearly so inoffensive?

Old 02-28-2017, 10:41 AM

43,441 posts, read 41,976,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post

The thing that bothers me, and I don't know if its regional or what, but when I am talking with professionals about my children (who have special needs and learning issues) and they keep referring to them as "kid-os". Even the tone bothers me because it seems so condescending. I don't know. I am sure I will get used to it. But its like as if adding an "o" at the end some how lightens the blow when talking about your dyslexic daughters slow reading growth. It doesn't. It just seems dumb. I dunno...
I can't stand "kiddos." It's total mom-speak, and it grates on my nerves too - even as a mom! I'm not offended by it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
It doesn't bother me but what bothered me recently was a young male cashier calling me "momma." WTF?

Old 02-28-2017, 10:52 AM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,183,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
Do guys call each other "hon" and "sweetie"? If not, why not, if it's clearly so inoffensive?
Inoffensive and not relevant are not the same thing. You can call a plumber "Dr. Smith" if you want. Its not offensive, but its not connected to who they are either.

Cultural norms dictate appropriate titles. Mr. vs Ms. for example. Neither is offensive, but who calls a woman Mr.?

Most people nowadays should just be called "Perpetually and hysterically offended & offendable"

How about that.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:40 AM

3,478 posts, read 1,546,706 times
I wasn't thrilled about being addressed as "ma'am" when I moved to TX from the West coast, but hey. Just cultural differences. My curse is being too sensitive, but those terms "hon", and so forth, don't bother me at all. Kind of sweet, actually.

Now, in a foreign country, I don't know what people are calling me, so I rest easy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or